1973 R75/5 build

Discussion in 'Airheads' started by FlatlandKSBrett, Oct 8, 2021.

1. FlatlandKSBrett

FlatlandKSBrett Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If you are a purist, leave now or grab a beer. That being said, I like opinions, feel free to chime in.

I bought a 1973 R75/5 LWB from an amazing gentleman a few months ago. His wife hit a deer while riding this mostly original R75. It messed up the front headlight, tank, rear wheel, and other key components. I got it pieced together enough to ride around the block a few times. The motor and drivetrain was still good. So I decided to start ordering parts. This is my 37th motorcycle that I have owned, but my first BMW. Holy hell the Germans are proud or their parts. Namely the front headlight area. So I decided tastefully (I hope) to go away from stock.

Let the fun begin!!

IMG_20210814_125529273_HDR.jpg IMG_20210815_163646720.jpg
    IMG_20210820_210059473.jpg IMG_20210909_191543446.jpg

And a "small" purchase from Airtech in California:
    67549.jpeg

And another not so small purchase from Woody's Wheels out in Colorado:
    IMG_20211005_130218263.jpg

Stay tuned and feel free to chime in. I may have a few questions moving forward regarding fairing mounting.

Thanks for tuning in everyone!!

Attached Files:

brittrunyon, Richarde1605 and Texer like this.
  2. FlatlandKSBrett

Oddometer:
    Current status:
    IMG_20211001_164126703.jpg
    CCBonnie likes this.
  3. tennessee thumper

tennessee thumper Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Change in body work, wheels etc...very subjective.

As long as you like it, its all good.

Looks like you got a good one and you'll have a ton of fun building, making it your own and riding it.

I'd argue you are not doing the bike any favors, in the short or long term, with these changes.

I'm (softly) in the market for a 75/5 and would scroll right past this with all the modifications---others will not and would enjoy the changes.

You'll find that even though parts are expensive, they are more readily found and available than other vintage brands.

Check MAX BMW parts fiche, Boxer 2 Valve and Motobins, among other sites that will have just about anything you need.

Cheers!!!!
    spo123, airhead_irl, Texer and 2 others like this.
  4. FlatlandKSBrett

Oddometer:
    Very subjective, I like that description. And thank you for the recourses on parts, much appreciated. I'll check them out.

I'm keeping all of the original parts with the bike if it ever sells. Also, I will not be changing the frame. No cutting or welding, just bolt on stuff.
    Pezz_gs and airhead_irl like this.
  5. FlatlandKSBrett

Oddometer:
    What the general consensus on leaving out the base gasket during re-assembly?
  6. BJMoose

BJMoose that trick never works Supporter

Oddometer:
    What paint did you use on the frame?
  7. tennessee thumper

tennessee thumper Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Best practice to avoid oil leaks is to refresh all gaskets/seals on top end reassembly. Wrenching 101.

Check boxer 2 valve on You Tube. They have a good video series on the next year model bike, but all techniques etc...will apply to yours.

Check the Max BMW parts fiche for your bike so you know what you need part # wise. You can order it from any other supplier.
  8. FlatlandKSBrett

Oddometer:
    Single stage epoxy.
    BJMoose likes this.
  9. FlatlandKSBrett

Oddometer:
    Yep, that's what I'm doing. But what about base gaskets? Are they a necessity on this?
  10. tsADV

tsADV Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    IIRC, the /5 cylinders are shorter than the later ones, and included the base gaskets to get the "right" piston-to-head clearance. So that's how the enginers designed them.

That said, I've played with the CR and P-T-H clearance on a few boxer top ends, and non-standard assemblies can work fine (important to check that you have enough room there before firing up the engine :-))

Another issue is that the base gaskets may prevent oil leaks from the cylinder bases.
  11. nmalozzi

nmalozzi airheaded

Oddometer:
    Your bike, do you. Seems like a Coors theme is in order, given your garage space adornments and beverage choice.
    PaulBarton likes this.
  12. FlatlandKSBrett

Oddometer:
    Again, this might not be for everyone... But Firestones on Excel Wheels. And yes, Coors for the win IMG_20211008_142210886.jpg
  13. Disston

Disston ShadeTreeExpert Supporter

Oddometer:
    If the base gaskets on the cylinders are removed there is a danger of the piston rings contacting a ridge that has been worn at the top of the cylinder. /5 base gaskets are pretty thick I think. Depends on miles, amount of wear.

Don't know if leaving them off means valve contact.

I'd check compression figures.

Biggest thing I would worry about on a wrecked bike is bent fork tubes. You don't mention that. It can be an issue. Bent frame is also a killer.
  14. nmalozzi

nmalozzi airheaded

Oddometer:
    Yea, those Firestones are pure cringe IMO (and I'm far from a purist), but again... do you.
  15. vagueout

vagueout Long timer

Oddometer:
    :fpalm
    korinthias, PaulBarton and Chad M like this.
  16. FlatlandKSBrett

Oddometer:
    LOL!!
  17. FlatlandKSBrett

Oddometer:
    This is great. 1 day into a post about a guy in his garage instead sitting on his ass and the keyboard warriors are out in full tilt.

I should have said this earlier, I don't ride to Starbucks. There, I said it. I'm sorry if I hurt anyone's feelings. Happy Friday fellas! 16337395017904758828762502144532.jpg
  18. PaulBarton

PaulBarton Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I can't resist jumping in here...mostly because as a budding teenage drinker I thought my dad's joke was hilarious...here it is:

Coors is like sex in a canoe....

F*cking near water

Of course, my dad didn't have a lot of room to complain...he drank Grain Belt until it went belly up.

Now back to your regularly scheduled programming...
  19. nmalozzi

nmalozzi airheaded

Oddometer:
    No feelings hurt on my end. I like customs, I just loath those Firestone’s. I get doing something for a look. I’m vein as fuck, and spend way too much time and money on things that I think look cool. I just never liked the look of the Firestones, and Im told they ride like shit. So they make no sense to me.

I prefer High Life, and I regularly piss in Clear Creek. So I just can’t drink Coors.
    PaulBarton likes this.
  20. FlatlandKSBrett

Oddometer:
    This build will take me into the winter, I'm in no hurry. That being said, if you could post a picture of your bike while throwing rocks at mine that would be great.

In regards to the Firestones, I'll report back once it's back on the road. If the handling is trash the tires come off, no second thoughts.

Also, the Guinness Baltimore Blonde is amazing. If you like beer, try it.