1973 R75/5 build

Discussion in 'Airheads' started by FlatlandKSBrett, Oct 8, 2021.

1. FlatlandKSBrett

FlatlandKSBrett Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The shocks (front and back) we're rebuilt less than a year ago.

Again, thanks for the positive feedback.
  2. nmalozzi

nmalozzi airheaded

Oddometer:
    Have you tried that Cold Brew Guinness? I love coffee, and I love Guinness. So it sounds heavenly, but I always talk myself out of buying it. Anyway, keep posting. Custom bikes are great IMO, but some trends are not… also IMO. Doesn’t really matter though, you can’t please everyone anyway. So you may as well please yourself.
    FlatlandKSBrett likes this.
  3. OLD GREEN

OLD GREEN Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Well, I got no dog in this fight and I certainly don't mind customized airheads, especially a bike that's already been in a wreck. It's not like there aren't plenty of over restored stockers and other well preserved originals still rolling in the fleet. I say build what you want, as long as you're having fun while doing it. And hey, if the Firestones cause you to over shoot the first curve and lay her down, at least you've got the skills to build it up again. (Just kidding of course, I realize Kansas doesn't have any curves.:D)

As for the choice of suds... I haven't had a beer in years, and I don't miss it, but will readily admit that I too went through a phase of drinking the Banquet Beer. After the IPA's started making the mornings unbearable after band practice, Coors was the go to. Now I just stick to weed and sparkling water.

Honestly, I don't think I ever chose the coors for the flavor, it was probably more about product placement marketing, something having to do with the Snowman's rig which I was lucky enough to get a ride in once when I was a kid.

Kenworth_from_smokey-e1615549710448.jpg

Anyway, keep on building, some of us are watching.

Edit to add: About the base gasket, I usually use it, with a thin smear of Hylomar or it's equivalent on both sides. That said, I've put a few together without it and just used the Hylomar with good results.
    nmalozzi likes this.
  4. PaulBarton

PaulBarton Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    careful, I'm getting a nasty visual...
    FlatlandKSBrett likes this.
  5. nmalozzi

nmalozzi airheaded

Oddometer:
    I’m not responsible for where your brain takes my commentary.
  6. FlatlandKSBrett

Oddometer:
    Base gaskets with minimal Hylomar it is. Well, Hondabond in this case. I've had really good luck in the past builds with it.

Thanks for the feedback! And the Snowman approves.
  7. airhead_irl

airhead_irl Airhead addict

Oddometer:
    +1
  8. Pokie

Pokie Just plain Pokie.

Oddometer:
    If you are going to remove the cylinder base gaskets, just remember to hone out the ridge at the top of the cylinders so you don't break a ring. The thicker base gaskets was BMWs answer to the R60/5 pinging. But, again, If you change to standard gaskets, you need to hone out the ridge at the top of the cylinders.
    dazz and FlatlandKSBrett like this.
  9. FlatlandKSBrett

Oddometer:
    I don't care who likes your tires, get out in the garage and keep moving. Today was all about the steering head. Happy Tuesday fellas! IMG_20211012_172617631.jpg
  10. PaulBarton

Oddometer:
    All that bling and you're putting the stamp metal top plate on it? You should look at Toaster Tan....https://toastertan.com/products/ Not only does it add bling to your steed it provides the necessary stiffness that stamped plate won't.
  11. tennessee thumper

tennessee thumper Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    FlatlandKSBrett and PaulBarton like this.
  12. FlatlandKSBrett

Oddometer:
    Thank you very much for the suggestion. I'm definitely looking into this in the morning.
    cwroady and PaulBarton like this.
  13. nmalozzi

nmalozzi airheaded

Oddometer:
    +1 on the toastertan or equivalent. they really help.
  14. Winstonfly

Winstonfly Adventurer

Oddometer:

PaulBarton likes this.
  15. Pokie

Pokie Just plain Pokie.

Oddometer:
    Toastertan's are probably pretty good but I've never experienced a need to swap out the upper yoke. If the forks are set up and are functioning properly, I don't really see the need.
    Scott in Missouri likes this.
  16. cwroady

cwroady Broken Arrow Moto

Oddometer:
    First time I installed an offroad steering stabilizer on a dirtbike back in the '90's, my first reaction was I hope I didn't just throw away a huge wad of money on this thing. Then I swapped bikes with my buddy who was also riding an identical new '95 Suzuki RM and immediately wanted my bike back. It is one of those items that "removed something" rather than "added something" and was hard to quantify ... until a back to back comparison. Had one on every dirtbike I owned from that day on. I feel the same way about the Toaster Tan top brace on my '73 75/5. I am glad I have it and have recommended one to my buddies.
    PaulBarton and Disston like this.
  17. FlatlandKSBrett

Oddometer:
    Either way, I appreciated the positive feedback from everyone. It's a pretty cool website, that being said, I'm not sure if I will add a top brace yet.
  18. PaulBarton

Oddometer:
    This really is the time to do it....not a lot of added cost (or effort) at this point.

Pokie knows his stuff but he's the only experienced wrench I've seen say the stamped plate was "acceptable." You can almost twist it in your bare hands.

"More importantly" it looks soo cool. With the time and effort you put into making that engine black you really need a black TT top brace....jus sayin'
    OldCrustyStuff likes this.
  19. Disston

Disston ShadeTreeExpert Supporter

Oddometer:
    Does TT make the black ones anymore? I thought the colored ones were first issue only and they only come in natural Aluminum now.
  20. tsADV

tsADV Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Many airhead owners have noted the feebleness of the stamped metal top plate, which probably has contributed to their nickname "Gummikuh" (rubber cow in German). A friend of mine made a DIY version of the properly designed replacement:

StirlingMoz top yoke 2 small.jpeg
    Not sure how it works :-)
    spo123 and PaulBarton like this.