1974 Honda XL175

Discussion in 'Old's Cool' started by NOVAngler5, May 31, 2012.

1. NOVAngler5

NOVAngler5 n00b

Oddometer:
    Hello all. I'm new to this forum and the world of motorcycles. I was hoping I may be able to find some buying advice on a 74' HondaT X175 I'm looking at. The bike is in great shape, just over 2,000 miles. Everything is shiny and new looking. Even has the original tires on the bike still. The man is asking for 1300.

I'm a graduate student looking for my first bike, and want to ensure I am not getting ripped off (which I tend to believe I'm not as the guy seemed very trustworthy selling the bike). He kept saying he was pretty confident he could sell the bike for 2000 on ebay but wanted to just find a local buyer.

I do have pictures I'd love to send (wasn't able to attach to this post). Thank you so much in advance for any words of wisdom and advice on whether or not that is a good deal for the bike.
  2. zcooney

zcooney Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The kick spindle likes to break on the XL175's and are tough to find replacements for. I wouldn't pick it for an everyday rider, and if you do, bump start it as much as possible.
  3. FistFullofDirt

FistFullofDirt whistle whistle whistle

Oddometer:
    Well 1300 seems a little steep, but the prices on these 70s Honda machines have gone through the roof. If the muffler is still in good shape that could be a huge selling point. Not easy to find, I had to cobble one together and it is starting to blow through again.

But otherwise fun bike! I ride mine to work every day and it has been fine. Very little to go wrong with it and it gets good mileage if that is what you are looking for. Not much power, but it zips around town and is fun on country roads. Wouldn't ride it at all on the highway however.

Maybe replace the tires if they are originals, never know what dry rot has done to them. For 60 bucks you could be riding the *%$@ out of it with no worries.

I say go for it!
  4. Bleary

Bleary Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Had one eight years ago. Top speed was about 55mph and I would not want to stay there long. Cruise at 45 all day though.

I had to replace the stator. Not saying that's a problem these bikes have.

The pipe is a big deal. Mine was there but a bit rusty. I ended up brazing on some sheet metal. Also the rear shocks were shot.

I put a bunch of miles on it and it was a good looking machine. If I had to do it all over I would have bought a 250 or 350. Ended up selling it for a DR350... now that was a sweet bike.
  5. fallingoff

fallingoff Banned

Oddometer:
    brother bought one new
    i think 500 oz dollars
    we could not destroy that thing
    we were young and very destructive
    loved it
  6. gloud

gloud Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Nice bikes but like the other poster said the kickstart shaft WILL break. (not if When) and they are not available new. Most of the rest of the parts are available (some at the honda dealer but count on having to mail order them) It handles decent.
    Throw some Shinko 244's on it and ride. That said I would not buy it as a first bike for that much. it has points, and the parts are going to be a pain to find. (I daily ride one BTW with a Lifan 200cc engine I fitted) for your 1300.00 you can buy a much newer bike without the problems these had.
  7. Curtis in Texas

Curtis in Texas Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I owned a 74 XL 175.
    Bought it new in 1974. ( I was 23 then and could afford a second car.)
    Rode it to work 15 miles one way everyday for 7 years.
    About 8 miles of that was highway speeds
    It would run 65 to 70 all day long. Didn't ever push it past that for long.
    Was a good bike and I got hooked on thumpers because of that bike.
    Course back then I only weight 165 lbs!.

Now I ride a KLR 650 and it reminds me of many great trips I made on the old Honda 175.
    But I'm now hitting the scales at 240, so I needed a bigger bike.
    I commuted on the KLR for 5 years until I retired and now I just ride it for fun.

Eventually I bored it to 232 cc's and ported and polished the head. Ran like a scalded dog for a few years after that work. Eventually traded it to a friend for a 4 wheeler after I bought a GS 750 Suzuki to commute to work on.
    Always wished the Honda was water cooled because of some of the traffic jams I found myself caught up in trying to get home during rush hour.

They old Honda singles are easy to maintain and will run almost forever if you keep the oil changed and valves set.
    I've owned a lot of bikes since it, but it was always one of my favorites.

Good luck with it. If it wasn't so late I'd post up a picture of mine. But Photobucket takes for ever this time of night.
  8. 396

396 low-post lurker

Oddometer:
  9. hunter_greyghost

hunter_greyghost XS650 Allroads Traveller

Oddometer:
    Great little motors, only one major problem, if the oil supply to the head is compromised at all [low oil or no oil], you'll do your cambearing surface [whitemetal], then you have problems! :lol3
    Cheers
    Baza
  10. bobhead101

bobhead101 n00b

Oddometer:
    I currently ride a 74 xl175, its a pretty good starter bike but I just use it as a dirt bike for now, when I get a endorsement i will be riding that thing on the road too.
  11. bobhead101

bobhead101 n00b

Oddometer:
    I currently ride a 74 xl175, its a pretty good starter bike but I just use it as a dirt bike for now, when I get a endorsement i will be riding that thing on the road too.