1974 Rickman

Discussion in 'Some Assembly Required' started by ZVossler, Aug 8, 2017.

1. ZVossler

ZVossler Adventurer

Oddometer:
    About 3 years ago after returning home from VMD in Ohio I had decided I wanted to buy a Rickman frame and build something neat/unusual to race the following year. I happened to find one on craigslist, arranged for pickup, and before I could get th ere it was sold. Fast forward to now...

This weekend I went to a relatively local swap meet with my Dad ( @frugal ) and from across the event spotted a Rickman in the back of a truck. It turned out to be a 1974, 125 Zundapp, Enduro model with a locked up motor (lower end), but everything was there, and besides the motor, in very good shape.

Being that it is the enduro model, I think something that has a lighting coil would be neat, but I would also like to keep it era appropriate, and 250 instead of 125. I have a friend with a pair of 70s YZ250 motors I could scoop up pretty cheap, but then I would be without the lights..

I do have experience in building motors, and restoring bikes, but never anything custom build like this. I will post some better pictures once I get everything unloaded out of the trailer this weekend.

Hoping for some advice / ideas...

52363465680__A7E4CFB6-7CE7-484F-807F-54FA189EDB76.JPG
  2. Wildebeest90210

Wildebeest90210 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    ZVossler likes this.
  3. ZVossler

ZVossler Adventurer

Oddometer:
  4. pekingduck

pekingduck Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Last year, I missed the chance to pick up a street legal Rickman Honda 125. I'm a 4-stroke Honda fan, so it would have been perfect for the local vintage dual-sport rides. I happened to have a loose CRF230F engine (electric start 6-speed) to plug in there. The vertical Honda engines family (100-125-150F-185-200-230F) have the same lower engine case mounts. I don't think Rickman officially offered an assembled Honda, but I remember it either got plugged into the Micro Metisse kit frames or was a popular modification back then.

rickman honda 125.jpg rickman honda 125 9.jpg
  5. anonny

anonny What could go wrong?

Oddometer:
    Cool project! Do you want a 2 stroke or 4? Vintage or newer? Idbetempted to rip into the Zundap and see what it needs, could be as simple as a rod bearing.
  6. ZVossler

ZVossler Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'd like a vintage 2 stroke. It is tempting to get into the Zundapp, but it's pretty rough, and just the small amount of research I've done on parts cost (that I already know I'll need), I could probably buy and build up something different.
  7. ZVossler

ZVossler Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Finally got it unloaded this evening and started to look at what I really had.

Rickman Pre Tear Down.jpg Rickman Pre Tear Down (2).jpg Zundapp 125.jpg Zundapp 125 Crank.jpg

The motor is in really rough shape, and appears to be missing several parts, although it did come with a new gasket kit and set of rings. As of right now, my plan is to dismantle the motor and part it out to help fund a new power plant for it, so if anyone is looking for Zundapp 125 motor parts, let me know.

I am pleasantly surprised with how nice the bodywork is and how many of the original parts are still there.
    Velocipede, chris a and JagLite like this.
  8. ZVossler

ZVossler Adventurer

Oddometer:
    After a quick look through of what I had I decided to start tearing down further.

1974 Rickman Parts.jpg

I really like the look of this nickel plated frame and would like to spend some time bringing back the original shine. The front forks appear to have been well used and someone had decided the best way to remove the top nut on the fork was to grind a groove in the nut and use a flat head screwdriver. The front rim has around 5 flat spots, and the current rear tire is studded, but both hubs are original Rickman.

Rickman Frame.jpg

I think I now have myself convinced that I want to get a 250 2 stroke MX motor and different front forks, not sure what I want to do about the swing arm and rear shocks at this point.

On to degreasing and polishing...

Man, would I love to hear the stories this bike has to tell...
    chris a and JagLite like this.
  9. motu

motu Loose Pre Unit

Oddometer:
    Are those extra lower frame rails standard ? I've never seen a Micro with them before.
  10. ZVossler

ZVossler Adventurer

Oddometer:
    As far as I can tell they're either factory, or someone did a helluva job adding them. The welds look great, and it has the same plating as the rest of the frame.
    chris a likes this.
  11. pekingduck

pekingduck Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Early Rickman Zundapp frames didn't have the 2 inner bars. Later ones did, along with a full rear frame loop. The frames for the Montesa 250s had a single front downtube.
    JagLite likes this.
  12. ZVossler

ZVossler Adventurer

Oddometer:
    image1.jpg

Found a donor bike, about an hour from home, relatively cheap, so I went and scooped it up. Motor runs, sounds tight, rims are in good shape (Rickman rims are shot, look like someone ran an entire race flat). Previous owner says its a 1978 Yamaha DT125, it's definitely that, just not entirely sold on the year and haven't researched it yet to find out.

Someone has done work to the motor, and misplaced every proper nut and bolt on the bike it seems, but I did receive most of the stock parts missing from the photo in a cardboard box. Definitely in need of some love, but a good start, and exactly what I was looking for as far as the motor goes for this project.
    frugal and Wildebeest90210 like this.
  13. ZVossler

ZVossler Adventurer

Oddometer:
    It's been awhile, but I've finally started making some progress on the Rickman project. We have a buddy that runs a small shop and is also a snow bird and doesn't use it in the winter, so a group of us go over a couple times a week to drink beer and tinker. The Rickman was part of the "tinker list," and my goal now is to have it finished by July so I can bring it with me to VMD.

Frame tabs have been removed, new tabs tacked and the exhaust has been modified and lowered about 2" to clear the gas tank. I will not be able to use the proper Rickman number plates as they previously fit tight to the Zundapp motor so I will be needing to fab some of those up, thinking polished aluminum.

Since the photos I have pulled the motor and am prepping it for paint. I have some things I am looking for, maybe you guys will have some leads?

-Set of wheels (mine are pretty roached, front more than rear)

-Betor parts, or advice on the best place to get them

-All of the Yamaha screws for case covers on this motor. I am thinking I will swap to Allen heads, but I can't seem to find info on the correct lengths and it is missing a vast majority of the OEM ones.

Pictures do more justice than words.
    IMG_1513.jpg IMG_1514.jpg IMG_1533.jpg
  14. Beezer

Beezer Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Anchorage, formerly Spenard (hub of the universe)
    maybe Hugh's Bultaco for the suspension....

http://www.bultacoclassic.com/suspension.html

they have a very large pile of NOS and repop parts for Bulto. he was an early dealership for the line & has kept it up ever since. if you don't see what you want, call
  15. jays100

jays100 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hmmm, Hogan’s Cycle shop in Agawam, MA has loads of Bultaco parts.
    Bob will talk your ear off but he knows everything and has a couple of Rickman’s on his showroom floor.
  16. ZVossler

ZVossler Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I've run into a snag, hoping someone can give me some advice. The factory rear sprocket on the Rickman hub is 520 and the DT125 motor is 428. I am struggling to find anything 520 that will fit the DT, and even less luck with anything different that 520 for the Rickman hub. Suggestions?
  17. villageidiot

villageidiot Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Sprocket specialties? I think they still make custom sprockets
  18. Beezer

Beezer Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Anchorage, formerly Spenard (hub of the universe)
    tool post grinder can make a 520 into a 428. I did something like that on a frankenbike I made some years ago
    villageidiot likes this.
  19. villageidiot

villageidiot Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    428 is a motherfucker of a chain though, expensive, and relatively weak.

id much rather have a 520.

but given that its probably not going to be a daily rider, a 428 is likely fine.
  20. neil w

neil w Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Have you gone onto the JT Sprockets websites online catalogue ?

Using the dimensions given for the gearbox output shaft on the DT125 you should be able to trace an alternative 520 front with a bit of digging
    JagLite and severely like this.