1976 YAMAHA RD400 Custom

Discussion in 'Some Assembly Required' started by Fast Idle, Feb 9, 2019.

1. DiggerD

DiggerD DougFir from SuperDuke Days

Oddometer:
    When I moved away from home in the early 70's as a young buck I was gifted two identical TV sets, that did not work.
    One from my Dads Dad and one from my Brothers Father in law.
    Tube type Zenith's, with remote control's.
    My plan was to swap out the tubes from one to another.
    They had safety panels on the back blocking the view to the tubes.
    I removed the panels, hot wired them on and took my best guess at the tube swap, with limited knowledge.:D:D:D:D
    I did know there were capacitors / condensers that held energy that could kick like a mule.
    Lucked out, and got one working set out of two for free.
    Took the old set to the land fill and over the bank it went 50 feet away with the tube not breaking but face up.
    It was too tempting not to throw rocks at, so after plenty misses and one hit but not a big e-nuf rock I hit the target.
    My first experience with an implosion that sounded like a M-80.
    The glass did not go outward, like an explosion, but got sucked inward because of the tube being under vacuum.
    :clap:clap
    NoelJ, Fast Idle and villageidiot like this.
  2. Fast Idle

Fast Idle Since the Sixties Supporter

Oddometer:
    Made a little progress on the RM engine. Got the donor case halves stripped and cleaned up.
    P1120066.JPG
    Pulled all the seals and bearing retainers and then put one half at a time in the shop oven. Set it to 350 and in just 10 or 20 minutes you could hear the bearings start to fall out and hit the rack. Effortless bearing removal, what a handy tool to have.
    P1120097.JPG

Cleaned off all the old gaskets and sealer before glass beading the outsides.
    P1120098.JPG
    Did the head and cylinder while I was at it.
    blasted (3).JPG
    Once the new piston arrives it will get boxed up with the cylinder and sent off for re-plating back to standard bore.
    blasted (4).JPG
    BillUA, MotoChris521, r60man and 14 others like this.
  3. Fast Idle

Fast Idle Since the Sixties Supporter

Oddometer:
    Here's a short video of the RD400 on the backroads. The bike is pretty much finished now other than getting a proper seat cover made.
    It sure is addictive to ride and definitely turns heads when pulling into a store or gas station. The pipes sound great and I'm also really impressed by the brakes. They are excellent.
  4. Roofchop

Roofchop Hands up mother stickers, this is a f**k up!

Oddometer:
    Was waiting for a moose to jump out for the brake test!:D

Sounds good!
    Beezer, Fast Idle and JagLite like this.
  5. zzzak

zzzak Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Are there any rumors about speeds that may have been or not been prosecutable ?
  6. TasTiger

TasTiger Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Don't forget the disclaimer! "Filmed on a closed road under professional supervision"