1980 GS550 + 2000 Katana 750

Discussion in 'Some Assembly Required' started by SCR100, Feb 1, 2018.

1. SCR100

SCR100 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I was leaning towards keeping the outward appearance "old school", but I found this Yoshimura slip on and was able to get it for $130 to my door. It's a $400 pipe and the dyno graphs show (presumably) big increases over stock. I figured that, along with the pods, jetting and some dyno tuning and I ought to be able to get to 100HP vs. the 94HP Suzuki claimed. And it would probably be easier to tune for this pipe vs. some cobbled together system.

No matter, it ought to be a good bit more than the 49HP that the GS550 was rated!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  2. Scubawerx

Scubawerx Scubawerx

Oddometer:
    This is good stuff. I'm subbed.
  3. SCR100

SCR100 Long timer

Oddometer:
    So, this happened....

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Found a local guy that's an engineer and has some gab skills. He's doing all of this from his home garage. I couldn't be happier. He truly "gets" what I'm trying to accomplish and is doing quick, neat work. Today was just a "touch base and check on progress" kind of day and I'm thrilled.

The rear upper mount is very nice and it, along with the lower RH mount, will be removable and make getting the engine in and out very easy.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  4. SCR100

SCR100 Long timer

Oddometer:
    The front mounts are the stock Katana mounts that he cut/modified and welded. The rubber dampener inserts were rather worn, so he made these aluminum spacers.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

He wasn't quite happy with that though, so he made theses Delrin spacers.

[​IMG]
    buzzword and larryboy like this.
  5. SCR100

SCR100 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I think it's gonna look really cool...and function great, too. He's still working on two of the lower middle engine mounts. We also checked header fitment and discussed the oil cooler mounting today.
    He's already checked chain alignment with a straight edge. Today, we ran the chain across the sprockets (I'm gonna need a longer chain) and it clears the frame, but is tight. The upper run can probably be cured with an acetylene torch and a ball peen hammer. The lower run may require some minor clearancing around the foot peg mount bosses. Switching to a 520 chain really helped.
    I'm also going to take the muffler with me next time I go and discuss a rear hanger for it.
    Oh, and he's going to work on the steering stop to prevent the larger forks from hitting the tank.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    busa1300 likes this.
  6. fast1075

fast1075 Not a Lemming Supporter

Oddometer:
    Very nice job so far. I installed the complete fork set from a GSX-600 on my 250 Ninja, ran into some of the same stuff. I didn't know about the Bandit upper so I milled off the fubar'd ignition mount and machined a spacer and fit a KZ-900 ignition switch I had laying around into the hole. Don't forget, the ignition switch has a resistor in a grey wire that has to be connected for the ignition to work. If all your parts are plug and play, it should already be in the switch.

Looking forward to how this comes out.
  7. SCR100

SCR100 Long timer

Oddometer:
    My plan is to use the entire Katana wiring harness. I'll have to make the proper splices to the GS550 tail light, headlight, etc., but the ignition system will be the one that came with the 750, including the key switch.
  8. jmcmotorsports162

jmcmotorsports162 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm in, i love the look of the early 80s bikes but never wanted to deal with the older tech in the motors, this might be a future project of mine.

Thanks!
  9. SCR100

SCR100 Long timer

Oddometer:
    There are a lot of guys doing the 1000 or 1100 swap into the 750/850 frames. There are even engine mount kits for that swap. The 550 frame is sort of a 9/10 scale version of the 750/850 frame. The 1100 will fit the 550 frame, but you have to remove the engine for valve adjustments.
  10. Fubars

Fubars What would Scoobydo?

Oddometer:
    Good, since you *gotta* put a Yosh on a Suzuki. Cool project. Carry on, please.
    SCR100 likes this.
  11. MATTY

MATTY BORDER RAIDER

Oddometer:
    I like it ! Very interesting project classic bike with all the good looks with more modern upgraded mechanics and tastefully done.
  12. Fubars

Fubars What would Scoobydo?

Oddometer:
    Concur.
  13. duckman

duckman co conspirator

Oddometer:
    Very cool project
  14. SCR100

SCR100 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Picked up the GS/Kat project from the welder about a week ago. I'm really happy with the quality of his work and his solution to some of the things we faced. It helps when your welder is an engineer, too!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  15. SCR100

SCR100 Long timer

Oddometer:
    When I got it home I couldn't help but slap on some bodywork and see what it might look like!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  16. SCR100

SCR100 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Been kicking around ideas for the gauges/dash. I have these early GSX-R 750 clocks, and I found a speedo drive that fits my wheel, but they're incomplete. I'd have to come up with some idiot lights and some sort of pod/dash/flyscreen to finish them off.
    I like the idea of old school analog gauges. But it might be easier to go with something modern. There's also the possibility of fitting a dash from a Bandit 1200 or similar.
    This is something I still need to figure out.

[​IMG]
  17. SCR100

SCR100 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Then I stripped it all back down again.

[​IMG]

I spent a couple of hours this morning making my fingers sore. When I stripped the wheels a while back, I noticed some oxidation. I went through a couple of grades of sand paper, then switched to several stages of SkotchBrite pads.
    At this stage, they have a nice brushed/satin finish. I'm 95% sure I'm going to stop there. I need to decide whether I want the centers black or graphite.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  18. Roadracer_Al

Roadracer_Al louder, louder, louder!

Oddometer:
    Regarding the idiot light situation, have a look at dual sport bikes. They typically have very compact solutions for the dash. While you probably won't find a plug-n-play version, a little time with the soldering iron and the wiring harness will get it hammered out.
    SCR100 likes this.
  19. SCR100

SCR100 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Also, since I originally intended to fix up the GS550 with more of a stock vibe, I had started collecting some parts before I went the GSX750 route.
    I was tired of tripping over parts in the garage, so I took the spare frame I got from eBay and cleaned it up and painted it. I rebuilt the forks with new seals/oil, Sonic spring and valve emulators. Found a nice set of used Koni shocks for the rear. Cleaned and greased all bearings, etc. Cleaned, painted and polished up the stock wheels and installed slotted rotors from a later model.
    Turned out pretty nice considering I used parts I had on hand and lots of elbow grease. This one will get the stock GS550 engine (after I re-seal it), carbs and exhaust, plus some custom bodywork. In the mean time, it's easier to store a rolling frame than piles and piles of parts.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Pezz_gs, Fast Idle and BergDonk like this.
  20. SCR100

SCR100 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks, I'll look into that. Some of the 600 models have a panel that has all the idiot lights I need. What I *REALLY* need to do is sit down and familiarize myself with the Katana wiring diagram, harness and plugs. There's a pretty decent chance I can find some "plug and play" stuff from another Suzuki model.

[​IMG]