1981 Honda CT-110 Trail Review and Observations

Discussion in 'Battle Scooters' started by klm4755, Mar 28, 2008.

1. ferrix

ferrix Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Our postie bikes are rated for maximum load of 130kg so yes, it's probably not the best vehicle for two-up riding...
  2. mac66

mac66 Quasi Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Since we are talking about CT90s, :D

I've had two of them for the past 10 years. A '69 K1 and a '75 K6. The K1 is faster than the K6 as someone mentioned earlier. They were my re-introduction to motorcycling after taking time off for my kids to grow up. I went from them to dual sporting a DRZ400S and am now back to the 90s. They truly are the perfect trail bike being low and slow, easy and fun to ride in the woods.

[​IMG]
  3. LashLarue

LashLarue Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    An earlier post in this thread was asking about an atc110 motor swap. Can't see the logic in that but several have done Lifan 140 upgrades and at least one did an ATC 125 engine swap.

I have a CT90 and so far the mods have been the RS rectifier, a new $44 carb, dragon shocks ($40), an XL or XR350 gas tank, 6v LED tail lights (no turn signal upgrades for me as I rarely need them). Over the years I have done several off road rides and I average 108 mpg. That might change with the new carb and it is still on its first tank.

See the Yahoo group. It has a lot of resources and I use Beatrice Cycle (DrAtv) for parts. What other 40 year old mc can you buy a new seat from the dealer for under $100? Love the CTs and it is the ONLY bike I will never sell - find your own or wait until my last breath for this one.
  4. RoyB

RoyB Dartmouth, Massacusetts

Oddometer:
    What carb did you get and where did you source it? and how difficult was the installation.

I just inherited a 71 CT90 with 600 miles on it. Perfect, showroom condition except gasoline was left in it all these years. What a mess. I got the tank to clean up real nice, but i think the carburetor might be more work than it's worth.
  5. grizzzly

grizzzly The Pre-Banned Version

Oddometer:
    I would replace the fuel lines (get the ones from Honda or dratv they are smaller than Napa lines and easier to route) put in a inline filter and get a carb kit, it is very rare that you will find a carb that is not rebuild able. http://dratv.com/carin.html
  6. RoyB

Oddometer:
    I ordered a bunch of stuff from that web site including a carb rebuild kit. Thanks!
  7. LashLarue

Oddometer:
    Sorry for the delay.

The carb came from Beatrice Cycle in Nebraska (better known as DrAtv). The problems were that the cable is a little long and needs to be cut a little and a new end soldered on. That problem is still not fixed as I don't mind temporarily running at 80% throttle.

Biggest problem was the boot to the air filter. It did not fit and I had planned on running a pod but the pod was not the correct size. DrAtv sells a CT110 boot and that fit the new carb perfectly.

The gas lines - the new carb has but one fuel connection while the OEM has two. The OEM also has a petcock. For now I bought a plastic Y from Beatrice for a couple of bucks. It is working perfectly but I will eventually install an in line fuel cutoff.

I agree with buying a little extra fuel lines. For me, I just replaced the lines after the two VW beetle gas filters to the Y to the carb.

To say it was a $44 fix is wrong, it really is that plus the boot ($30) and at least the Y ($3).

I could not fix my original carb as the float pin was only held on one side, the other had broken off the carb body.

It started immediately after installation. No leaks and no hesitation. While I need the cable trimmed, I just tell myself it is a 50 or a 70.
  8. RoyB

Oddometer:
    THIRD KICK BABY!!!!!!!!!!

I tore into the carburetor. All new jets, o-rings, gaskets, etc. A bit of time in the bead blaster and it looks like new

[​IMG]

I reinstalled it on the CT90 with a new spark plug, new air cleaner, new battery and some fresh gas.

[​IMG]

Close choke, give it a tiny bit of throttle......first kick it coughed, second kick it coughed a bit more......third kick...VROOOM!

BUT.....It starts right up, but it will only run on the choke. And it will bog down when throttle is applied. I have no idea how to set the float and the two valves on the side. Any hints?

[​IMG]

She's a beauty!

[​IMG] <!-- / message --> <!-- sig --> __________________
  9. RoyB

Oddometer:
    OK!....I don't know about you, but I can't let a stupid little carburetor get the best of me.

In my "yout", I had cars with three SU carbs and I could get them to harmonize, and a Holly 800cfm four barrel was duck soup! So how could this "model airplane" carburetor get the best of me.

I went back out in the garage, 2.5 turns out on the idle and 1 turn out on the air screw. Started up fine, good throttle response, but died after running for about 20 seconds. I thought "float adjustment" but it didn't seem likely because once it stalled, I could start it again immediately. I didn't have to wait for the bowl to fill again......

So with Budweiser in hand, sitting in my ol' shop chair, giving the little bastard a good hard stare..........It came to me.......

Operator error! I was trying to run it with the tank petcock on "Reserve" and I had just enough fuel to dribble some into the reserve pipe in the tank during the kick-start procedure. I put it into the "O" position and started it up. One minute later, still running. Now that the engine was hot is was purring like a kitten..............Time to terrorize the neighborhood~

Blasting down the street at warp factor -0.0003, all the way to fourth gear.......Beautiful! Nail the rear brakes (I use the term brakes figuratively), slide the ol' gal out on the sand at the bottom of the street.......I'm just so bad! Back up the hill at a mighty 35-40 mph! Much faster than the first trans continental train I might add.....

This thing is a blast......
  10. LashLarue

Oddometer:
    Great! It is such a fun bike to ride. Really gets your blood moving!

To fine tune the idle mixture, here are the steps:

(Caution: do not turn the mixture screw in tightly)

Back it out to 1.5 turns, (360 + 180 degrees).

Adjust the idle screw.

Turn the enrichment until its maximum idle achieved.

Adjust the idle screw.

Done.
  11. RoyB

Oddometer:
    "enrichment"?

I have Idle and air. Is there something I'm missing?

[​IMG]
  12. LashLarue

Oddometer:
    What you are calling air I said enrichment. Same thing. It balances the idle mixture of air and gas. Sorry for the confusion.
  13. RoyB

Oddometer:
    Thanks!
  14. Spuds

Spuds On my way home

Oddometer:
    Been sitting in this shop for a long time.
    [​IMG]

Last registered in 1971 and last started in 1989.
    [​IMG]

I took off the carb and let it soak overnight also got a new battery.
    [​IMG]

This bike has been sitting uncovered, there is a patina.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Runs good.
  15. Dharuma

Dharuma The Dude Abides

Oddometer:
    I'm pretty pumped to find this thread--I have a 110 waiting for me out at my family's ranch. My Dad bought it about 10 years ago and it hasn't run since he died in 2002. I'm planning to get it into Austin and rehab it. I just came from Big Bend on my KLR and am looking forward to having something I can get out there on the back roads as well as run around Austin on.
  16. PinkSteel

PinkSteel Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Be sure and join the Yahoo Group for CT90/110's. Very helpful folks who've dealt with every issue you'll ever encounter getting your 110 back to life.
    <input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">
  17. Dharuma

Dharuma The Dude Abides

Oddometer:
    Is that the Postie Bikes group?
  18. valentine

valentine Adventurer

Oddometer:
  19. valentine

valentine Adventurer

Oddometer:
    If you end up needing parts to get it running, you'll be surprised at what the dealer can still get.

If you run into a dead end at the dealer, chances are you can find what you need here:
    http://www.dratv.com/honcttrail90.html
  20. Dharuma

Dharuma The Dude Abides

Oddometer:
    Great links--thanks, Valentine. This is gonna be a fun project.