1981 Honda CT-110 Trail Review and Observations

Discussion in 'Battle Scooters' started by klm4755, Mar 28, 2008.

1. valentine

valentine Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yep, it's going to be a blast! I had fun getting mine in tip-top mechanical shape.

I'm also on a Land Cruiser forum. The CT90's have a pretty good following over there, so I posted some write-ups in the motorcycle section.

I did copy most of the write-ups to the yuku CT90 forum, but will put the links in this post so if you're interested you can check them out.

Upgrading the battery is nice. No more worries about checking water level.

http://forum.ih8mud.com/motorcycles-atvs/272013-ct90-agm-battery-upgrade-fuse-block-write-up.html

You'll see the "spark advancer" mentioned. It's pretty easy to get done if you have a little spare time... and if you're going to change the points, you're half way there anyways...

http://forum.ih8mud.com/motorcycles-atvs/248276-honda-ct90-spark-advancer-writeup.html

Rectifier upgrade.

I did it because all the cool guys were doing it. :lol3

http://forum.ih8mud.com/motorcycles-atvs/272005-ct90-rectifier-upgrade.html

If it's been sitting for a long time, the clutch is probably dried up pretty good. I bought all the clutch discs and plates from the local honda shop.
    http://forum.ih8mud.com/motorcycles-atvs/248270-honda-ct90-clutch-writeup.html

Last but not least is the redneck spare gas can holder. Despite the posts about it not holding up well, it has done an excellent job for hundreds of miles.
    http://forum.ih8mud.com/motorcycles-atvs/268904-ct-90-spare-gas-can-holder.html

Basically, I wanted to get this thing to be as reliable as I could. I think I've pretty much got it there now.

I worked in Moses Lake, WA last winter. The CT90 started by the third kick down to the coldest day -10 F.

The only time it left me stranded is when a wire came loose off the back of the key switch. The solder broke and the wire was only making intermittent contact with the key switch. I figured it out (on the side of the road, half way across town). Luckily there was a PUD service truck right there and the guy had a butane soldering iron and I had it fixed up in a few minutes.

Good luck and I hope that some of the above info helps you out. :thumb
  2. svejkovat

svejkovat Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Is the swingarm pivot a bushing? Doesn't look like room enough for a roller/ball bearing.

Does that hold up well enough?
  3. kemmer

kemmer Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have a little trail 90 that's next in line after my current project. I can't wait. The first motorcycle I ever rode was my grandfathers trail 90, and boy did I ever ride it. When visited my grandparents I was either in the river or on the trail 90 non stop.
  4. Dharuma

Dharuma The Dude Abides

Oddometer:
    Today I went out to the ranch with my camera and took some photos of the new ride. It is indeed a 1981 with 603 miles on the clock. It seems in pretty good shape, though covered in dust. It hasn't been run since 1998 or so, and I'm interested to see if it starts on the 3rd kick like I've heard other's have (post carb cleaning and gas, oil, and battery replacement, of course). I sat on it and seems like a little toy after riding my KLR for the past 5 years.
    I can't post the photos here because they're too big--the advrider max is 1.46 kb, I think, and my photos are at least 1 mb. Any ideas?
  5. snorty

snorty no-diggety

Oddometer:
    There are a couple of things you can do: open a free Photobucket account and post the IMG links. Or opt for a SmugMug account (benefits ADV founder) and do the same. If you want to upload the pix as part of the thread, you can resize them with Picasa on your PC or online at a site like Picnik.com. Then you can attach the images as part of your post.
  6. Dharuma

Dharuma The Dude Abides

Oddometer:
  7. worn

worn n00b

Oddometer:
    hello,

Im looking for a CDI unit for the Honda trail 110. I've been looking for awhile and narrowed to it not running to the unit. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Has any one had any expericance to converting ct110 to electronic ignition to a points ignition?
  8. NatsFan

NatsFan Adventure Apprentice

Oddometer:
    Hate to dig up an old thread but everybody loves a trail. Found an '80 model local. Of course it had to be the bastard year. Tell me honestly do you guys ever use the low range? I'm looking for something to putt around on the fire roads. Site seeing and a bit of fishing and camping. I'm not exactly dainty at 6'3" and 210 pounds. Do the Ausie models have the low range? I can't seem to find any cheap ones with titles, so would yall stop tellin people how awesome they are!
  9. YamaGeek

YamaGeek Skeletor sparklemuffin.

Oddometer:
    The earlier '67 models with the leading link suspension tend to go cheaper as a rough rule, but they also tend to be more abused because of their age.

I actually like the older models as they're a bit lighter, and despite all the sproingy squeakiness of the front ends, they are 'trail bikes' and should be rode accordingly. You can always go Hugemoth's route and buy a set of front forks off an old SL100 or XL100 with the 19" wheels, you'll lose the option of folding the bars sideways with the new triple clamps.
  10. Dharuma

Dharuma The Dude Abides

Oddometer:
    I'm headed out tomorrow to pick up the bike. My only concern so far is that we can't find the title.
  11. hugemoth

hugemoth Big Brother is watching you!

Oddometer:
    The old leading link front suspension does have it's advantages. You mentioned weight, very light. The other advantage is very low unsprung weight. You hardly notice small bumps or washboards. When the bumps get bigger though the leading link tends to bottom out.

Q

12. MCrider

MCrider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  13. robertjludwigsr

robertjludwigsr Adventurer

Oddometer:
    my 1975 K5 ct90 with 5k did 54MPH on flat road with me crouched down per my GPS and I weigheed 212 at the time. The trick to get max speed is points,timing, valve setting fresh gas good plug fully charged battery.A lot more ct90s around than ct110 and they will do everthing a ct110 will. These are fun little bikes especially on the trails not fast but easy to work on and will get you most places you want to go. Bob in Cincinnati
  14. Woodsrat

Woodsrat Gone ridin'

Oddometer:
    I've always wondered about how the leading link forks would work with shocks with better dampening. I've heard even brand new they have virtually none. Anyone ever found a shock that'll bolt-in that works better?

Personally I like the looks and simplicity of them and with better dampening they'd make for a pretty decent ride, at least on the street. Their short travel greatly limits their off-road abilities even at modest speeds.
  15. hexnut

hexnut Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I saw a 1970 Trail 90 yesterday for sale at the Nashville fairgrounds. They were having an automotive swap meet. It was all original and in good running condition. the guy had a $1000 sign on it but said he would take $800. I wanted to bring it home but didn't.
  16. robertjludwigsr

Oddometer:
    nice bike and nice restoration. I own and reatored a ct90 74 K5 great little bikes for trail and slow roads . With the dual tranny it will take you almost anywhere you want to go. Hopeyou enjoy it as much as I enjoy mine.
    Bob in cincinnati
  17. robertjludwigsr

Oddometer:
    amazing to me how these little bikes can hook you with everything else that is out there. The bug bit me about 6 years ago when a friend asked me if I wanted to go tail riding with him on a 69 ct90. 6months later I was rebuilding a basket case. Nothing against the big ktms and BMW they are awesome but I find these little bikes a hoot and a real adventure maker.
    Bob in Cincinnati
  18. tq r11s

tq r11s Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Where can one get a tank like on the postie bikes ?
    How much fuel do they hold anyway?
  19. hugemoth

hugemoth Big Brother is watching you!

Oddometer:
    The one I used holds 1.6 gallons and was from a Honda XR100. That brings the total to 3.2 gallons.

20. DecentMan4you

DecentMan4you n00b

Oddometer:
    total to 3.2 gallons - may be but that is NOT what came with this 110 Originally

I am totally certain that anybody may add whatever to anything and get a different result , but -

origanally came with the Motorcycle is the 1.5 gallon Seat-tank
    and the Auxillery .5 Gallon Removeable gas tank located under the rear package area
    and was lockable also with the helmut - if you used one.