1981 R80g/s & Asbestos

Discussion in 'Airheads' started by Ghilli, Mar 5, 2019.

1. Ghilli

Ghilli super n00b

Oddometer:
    Need a bit of help here. I want to ship my 1981 R80g/s to Aus and need a Nil Asbestos Declaration on the bike. The bike was restored and included new front brake pads, but the clutch and rear brake shoes were in spec and re-installed, so no idea how old they are.
    Does anyone know if the beemers had any asbestos in any components from 1981+?
  2. Jim K in PA

Jim K in PA Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Not likely, since most asbestos containing materials were modified after US prohibition starting around 1975, with some industrial exceptions. Since this is a non-US bike, I'm not sure if W Germany had any such restrictions. Might want to start with German Asbestos consumer product code.
    SmittyBlackstone likes this.
  3. workhorse

workhorse Motorcycle as a medium of travel

Oddometer:
    Could you just say no and hope they don't go to the trouble of disassembling your bike to test?
    Ghilli likes this.
  4. Ghilli

Ghilli super n00b

Oddometer:
    There is a quarantine inspection and some charges if it gets stuck there. Its Aus, so I probably don't want to just sneak it through, haha. Might be less effort, and cheaper, to just strip it out.
  5. The Jester

The Jester Long timer

Oddometer:
    Your local dealer may be able to obtain a homologation certificate from the importer or details of the homologation requirements which include a reference to the bike being free form asbestos.
  6. halflive

halflive Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Asbestos is prohibited for friction materials in Germany since 1st of jan 1990. Sweden was the first country banning asbestos from 1982. I do not think you will get a declaration for your bike.
  7. Beemerguru

Beemerguru Beemerguru...G/S guy

Oddometer:
    I kept a G/S in Nanawading outside Melbourne for a few years and replaced the clutch disk and brake pads with the same part numbers I used for the G/Ss here in the States and my other G/S in Munich. Same parts so I wouldn't expect any issues.
  8. Warin

Warin Retired

Oddometer:
    Who did the restoration? They might give you a declaration ... Would that be acceptable to ever wants it?
  9. bmwrench

bmwrench Long timer

Oddometer:
    I think I'd get invoices for brake shoes and pads. Almost all the modern parts that replace asbestos-bearing ones now have "Non-Asbestos" in their description line. Whether you choose to replace those parts is up to you.

There was also asbestos in many of the gaskets in the engine. Whether you'd get away with those or not is a good question.
  10. Kiwiabbo

Kiwiabbo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Get the pads, clutch removed and replace when you get it in Aussie. Job done.
  11. globalt38

globalt38 "A Fist Full of Throttle" Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Huh - kinda amazed the US banned a hazardous substance before Germany did...
  12. bmwrench

bmwrench Long timer

Oddometer:
    We were way ahead of Europe on environmental stuff for some time (If some of it can be considered "ahead".) California "led" a lot of it.
    globalt38 likes this.
  13. Jim K in PA

Jim K in PA Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I see what you did there. :lol3
    bmwrench likes this.
  14. Ghilli

Ghilli super n00b

Oddometer:
    I did the rebuild myself a few years ago, replaced all the engine gaskets with the rebuild, so that should not be an issue. As for the other parts, I really can't find any specific info on the 1981 g/s and asbestos components, but it looks like it was on that tipping point.

I also think it's the easiest and possibly cheapest to avoid a fine and just remove the rear brake pads and clutch.

Here's some cool spots to go riding in and around Sydney, I really can't wait to get my bike back!!