1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

1982 YZ490 trail machine

Discussion in '2 smokers' started by mudmantra, Sep 28, 2013.

1. KX50002

KX50002 NooB, my ass

Oddometer:
    :rofl:rofl:rofl
  2. Twin-shocker

Twin-shocker Long timer

Oddometer:

My point was that if its a joke class, then its likely to attract little or no interest, and simply turning up and riding down the course at 30mph may well result in a world record.

Running a small obsolete bike, and winning against others on similar bikes is just as much as an achievement as using a bigger machine, but not sure the same can be said when no one else at all is riding that class?
  3. stainlesscycle

stainlesscycle Long timer

Oddometer:
    depends on the organization, but i know the ecta and scta has very few 'joke' classes... especially for small 2 strokes.. there are still some very attainable small 4 stroke records..
  4. anotherguy

anotherguy Long timer

Oddometer:
    He's just trying to belittle my achievements. Unsuccessfully. When he can build a faster bike than I then I'll be affected. Motivated in fact. So by all means get to work and stop talking.

The classes are APS/BF 350/2 and APS/PF 1350/4. Have fun tuning for fuel. Bring lots of spare parts. :evil
  5. dynodave

dynodave Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Tuning for fuel...not required when using oil injection.
  6. Twin-shocker

Twin-shocker Long timer

Oddometer:

Exactly, and I would imagine the class the Bantam riders were running in may well have never been contested before, so taking the record for that class doesnt really mean a lot does it?
  7. anotherguy

anotherguy Long timer

Oddometer:
    Back to your regularly scheduled TwinSucker pedantic rant.

[​IMG]
  8. Twin-shocker

Twin-shocker Long timer

Oddometer:
    Wonder if you have ever read anything by HST?
  9. dhallilama

dhallilama Long timer

Oddometer:
    that will never work... horrible trail machine, that is.
    let me give you my address and ya ca send it to me, i'll take it off your hands. :D
  10. davesupreme

davesupreme grand poobah

Oddometer:
    with all 'yer whining bullshit, i'm sure HST woulda wanted to shoot you first....
  11. dynodave

dynodave Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yeah...dhallilama is right...it's no damn good.

Some punk on a clapped out tiddler enduro bike, running oil injection, will embarrass you in the woods on that pig.
  12. anotherguy

anotherguy Long timer

Oddometer:
    It's adequate for running through the woods. Pulls cleanly from the basement. Then again it's only a 465.

And the only way you'll get it dhallilama is to take it. Not for sale at any price.
  13. mudmantra

mudmantra Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My 465 was a lot easier to jet than the 490. Vibration is lower too, even though it's throwing around a 86.5mm piston. Now that I have the routine down, I like starting this bike. From the spec's I looked at, it's lighter that a lot of the 200cc bikes. Yep throttle control is a must with this machine too. :D
    [​IMG]
  14. mudmantra

Oddometer:
    New pipe, rebuilt clutch with steel plates, and new lower gearing test. Results positive. Everything is working better. I like the lower gearing, and it's still going to top out way faster than is need up in the woods. Clutch action, much better, very positive feel and no more drag. Now I just need to dial in the jetting a little closer. Then it's time to get the porting and cylinder head work done.
    [​IMG]
  15. KX50002

KX50002 NooB, my ass

Oddometer:
    Q: Why would you want to jet BEFORE the porting and headwork???
  16. mudmantra

Oddometer:
    Yes I know, it dose sound kind of unnecessary. But I have one more set of jets I want to try. Then I believe I'll have a good a before porting and head work running base line. I may have it already as good as it gets, with the stock 82YZ490 cylinder, head, and VM38 carburetor.
  17. KX50002

KX50002 NooB, my ass

Oddometer:
    I see, I'd just wait until the mods were done to jet. To each his own I guess.

It's just too bad you'll probably die trying to keep up to a guy on a KDX 200 with it. :D
  18. FJ_Kevin

FJ_Kevin Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey,

Great job on the 490, looks kick ass! I have been following your thread... keep up the good work. Nice to see all these big bore two strokes coming out of the wood work!

Kevin

19. The Flyin Hawaiian

The Flyin Hawaiian Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Are you going to have working lights? What coil did you use? Looking good!
  20. mudmantra

Oddometer:
    Funny not worried about keep up with a KDX 200. If the guys any good, I might follow him and see if I can learn something. If the guys not any good, and going fast, I still might follow, but out of a morbid sense of curiosity. :D
    Changed the need jet to a Q-8, the needle to at 6F16 2nd clip and pilot back to a 45. Stayed with the 440 main jet. I think the bike ran just a little better, but I still wouldn't call it smooth. I had to turn the air screw out almost 3 turns, so I'm sure a smaller pilot jet would be better. It's running strong, and pulling the front end way up in all 4 gears. So now I have a base line, to go by.