~~~1983 Honda XL600R Total Engine Rebuild~~~

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by BThresher183, Jan 12, 2015.

  1. BThresher183

    BThresher183 Adventurer

    Joined:
    Jan 12, 2015
    Oddometer:
    34
    I just called the engine shop and the guy said he didn't have time to deal with it. Great customer service.
    #61
  2. BThresher183

    BThresher183 Adventurer

    Joined:
    Jan 12, 2015
    Oddometer:
    34
    After a few months of "out of sight, out of mind" and thoughts of parting it out, I have decided I want to take another stab at getting the motor back together. I was able to get the crank case separated again without ruining the new gasket.

    After putting the crankcase back together, a transmission shaft would not spring, and it seemed like it was wedged in to something too tight. When I put the cases together, should the bearings be pressed into the case side? Or should they be on the shafts? It took a lot of force to get the crank case together, and was wondering if that is normal.
    #62
  3. mcma111

    mcma111 Long timer

    Joined:
    Jul 17, 2007
    Oddometer:
    17,391
    Location:
    San Francisco,Ca.
    Transmission bearings stay in the case. The left side crank bearing stays on the crank. That is the only one that comes out.
    #63
  4. BThresher183

    BThresher183 Adventurer

    Joined:
    Jan 12, 2015
    Oddometer:
    34
    Almost a 3 year hiatus and 2 kids later... I tried to get familiar with this build again. I set the flywheel to the "T" with the line next to it in line with the peep hole line on the side cover. At this point, I installed the cam with the lobes facing down (also coated the journals with assembly oil). The lines on the cam gear are "almost" level with the top of the head. I cant get them perfectly level with top of the head. The Honda manual shows the left line slightly lower than the right, which is close to what I have achieved. If I jump a tooth, the right-side line on the cam gear is a lot lower than the head, so I assume I had it right.

    I went to put the veserah head gasket on and it doesn't seem to be the correct one. The reed valve (83 only) bolt won't let the gasket sit flat. The gasket doesn't have a cutout for that area of the head. I don't think the gasket kit came with 2 versions of head gaskets. I'll have to look.
    #64