1983 RS VS RT

Discussion in 'Airheads' started by wiggledbits, Mar 18, 2019.

Tags:
  1. wiggledbits

wiggledbits Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Outside of the farings and riding position what are the differances in the 2 RS and RT?
  2. Solo Lobo

Solo Lobo airhead or nothing Supporter

Oddometer:
    attitude...
    Renner, lucky6600, johnwesley and 2 others like this.
  3. raywilson

raywilson Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I think the RS's are beautiful.
  4. patrkbukly

patrkbukly Life at 10,000 feet

Oddometer:
    I think you should get one of each.
    [​IMG]
    SmittyBlackstone likes this.
  5. wiggledbits

Oddometer:
    But yet in side by side there isn't that much differance but yes the RS is better looking.
  6. Kiwiabbo

Kiwiabbo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Buy one of each and have a blast
    patrkbukly and SmittyBlackstone like this.
  7. Arktasian

Arktasian Lets call it Naturalized

Oddometer:
    The RS being slipperier has a slight advantage approaching the sound barrier but the RT has a clear edge in the bouyancy department and flooded stability rating ( you can’t argue with the USCG)
    timkil and SmittyBlackstone like this.
  8. SohoPhil

SohoPhil Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My RT is great for putting around or putting on miles. I like to look around a bit while tolling down the road on it, though I have cruised around 100mph and it was stable as could be. The RS likes to pass things. It really won't let me put around. Makes me feel like a teenager:) I love em both. Amazing , same engine,frame,et...........but whole different attitude from one to the next.
    2x :)
    face2.jpg IMG_9268.jpg
    BoxerD, spo123, ME 109 and 4 others like this.
  9. johnwesley

johnwesley wanta be Supporter

Oddometer:
    That’s a sweet bike , love the tank fairing combo.
    patrkbukly likes this.
  10. nmalozzi

nmalozzi airheaded

Oddometer:
    I found it hard to keep my RS below any posted speed limit I encountered. Where as the RT sat comfortably there... until I took off all her clothes to make canyons more fun.
    SohoPhil and SmittyBlackstone like this.
  11. Plaka

Plaka Brevis illi vita est

Oddometer:
    Never buy an '83 until you put it, loaded, on the centerstand. Snowbum once commented to me that the '83 was a no buy due to the centerstand issue.

The RS and RT have the same fairing lowers. The uppers are very different. The RT is more of a barn door, Weighs more, hard fairing pockets, dash with switches and in the later years bigger mirror heads, which can be fitted to RSs. I believe the rear end gearing is the same. Ask Bud.
  12. kcoralj

kcoralj Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The RT is better for 2 up, at least compared to my frankenbike, which is not bad but I added some short risers due to the need to sit more upright with a passenger aboard.
  13. beemerphile

beemerphile Unreconstructed Southerner Supporter

Oddometer:
    The interior of the RT fairing can be gutted to resemble the RS fairing and the fabric fairing pockets made for the RS will fit there. The every-which-way optically screwed house of mirrors windscreen can be replaced with a Parabellum. The monkey ear vibrating mirrors that break the fairing on a gentle fall off the sidestand can be replaced with bar-ends. Double piston brakes are easily adapted to the front. With a mono version you even get real tubeless wheels with non-fiddley bearings. On my last RT, I filled the newly found fairing space with a Heinrich tank. With the above, the RT can be Freude am Fahren too...

[​IMG]
    spo123 and Lornce like this.
  14. Jim K in PA

Jim K in PA Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm in the minority in favoring the looks of the RT fairing over the RS fairing. Gutting the RT fairing and upgrading the RT engine to early RS spec is how I would rock an RT. ;)
  15. tennessee thumper

tennessee thumper Long timer

Oddometer:
    Assuming stock bars w/ each fairing, RS has more of a forward riding position and lean than the RT.
  16. wiggledbits

Oddometer:
    For sexy I have the R1100S, for utility the R1150GS, for fun the R100/7. The RS is way sexier looking.
  17. SohoPhil

SohoPhil Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Like a good (fill in the blank), they both have some good angles
  18. Runaway Train

Runaway Train The Left-Right Tourer

Oddometer:
    FWIW
    I had an R80 standard, and put an RT fairing on it. That first ride (and all afterwards) was amazing. My first thought was "damn, this bike was meant to have a fairing"
    The ride was great, very little wind, squeaks and quirks and a little heat on hot days but really no big deal.
    I think it is a shame that so many RT's are being stripped, to my mind that package is pure riding pleasure. I love when I see one posted for sale and the seller still calls it an RT after it has been....tampered with.

I saw here a picture of an R100R with the RT fairing on it. Looked great. If I thought it could be done easily I'd hunt for an RT fairing and put one on my Classic.

Just my $.02
    YMMV
    Lornce, patrkbukly and Arktasian like this.
  19. nmalozzi

nmalozzi airheaded

Oddometer:
    Funny, I had the same reaction when I ditched the RT faring. I too felt it was “meant” to be. The bike became so much lighter and nimble. Suddenly I found myself pushing harder through twisty canyons, and leaning further and longer.

Point is, they both have their advantages. All depends on where, how, and why you ride. No format is perfect. The S faring I added later was the closest I got to “the best of everything”, but even it had its drawbacks.
    Jim K in PA likes this.
  20. Lornce

Lornce Lost In Place

Oddometer:
    Still looking for an RT fairing. Have RS fairings for trade.

:beer