1984 Goldwing Adventure build.

Discussion in 'Some Assembly Required' started by oldmopars, Apr 1, 2019.

1. oldmopars

oldmopars Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    So, I currently own 3 bikes, my main bike is a 1996 Goldwing SE. It is very nice, but lacks any dirt road ability. Comfort on road is great, but the ride ends when the pavement does.
    I also have a 1984 GL1200 and another GL1500 Goldwing. I have had a KLR650 and a Rally Raid CB500X. I loved both bikes, but for reason I will not go into I sold them both. I now want to be able to ride off Hwy again, but now do not have the money to buy another bike, and can't trade the 1996 GL1500 SE in on something new.
    So, the 1984 Goldwing GL1200 Aspencade is going to become my new ADV bike.
    Here is the plan, I have stripped the bike down to a naked bike.
    The rear wheel/tire/final drive from the 89 GL1500 will be put on the 1200
    The front forks/brakes/wheel/etc will go on the 1200.
    All non required electronics will be removed.
    Skid plate made for the engine
    2 each GL1500 non-air shocks for the rear
    Headlight will be a Ebay or Amazon 7in LED as well as the turn signals
    Rear will be a tail/brake turn signal fender off Ebay meant for a dual sport
    2 smaller lighter muffler tucked up high
    Due to the GL1500 having the speedo drive in the trans, I will use a GPS speedo.
    This will be a budget build, but still hope to have it come out to be something I am proud of. I DO NOT want it to look like a Rat bike, it will be painted and look good. Kind of like the first picture, but a 1200. Second 2 pictures are of the bike in its current state. As it sits right now, it runs and everything still works. I could ride it as is, if I make a bracket to hold the speed on and add some lights. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  2. Dan Diego

Dan Diego Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ahhhhh, just in time for April Fools!
    JagLite and CopyCat like this.
  3. No-Fret

No-Fret Tanker

Oddometer:
    Ok lets get this going!
  4. oldmopars

Oddometer:
    Yep, no joke. I know it will never be a R1200GSA or perform like a WR250R, but for the mild stuff we do, it should be fine. No delusions of grandeur, but if guys can take a Victory Vision off road, or turn a Sportster into an Adventure bike, then I don't think I am totally off my rocker.
  5. Pezz_gs

Pezz_gs Cant ride for crap

Oddometer:
    Go for it :thumb

Be interesting to see how much weight you can lop off the 1200.

Could look at an evolution over time with XR650 forks and maybe a different and lighter swingarm

I'm in . . . . . :lurk
    No-Fret likes this.
  6. oldmopars

Oddometer:
    So, the Naked GL1200 that was sold in 1984 weighed in at 599. That is about where I am at right now. I think I can remove 25-50lbs more off of that with things like lighter mufflers, LiON Battery, and removal of all un-needed brackets and gadgets.
    A R1200GSA is 564lbs, so that is kind of the goal.
    As for the other forks, maybe if I can find some that will give more travel, support the weight and be the right width to allow mounting of a decent front wheel.
    Dirt Road Cowboy and Pezz_gs like this.
  7. No-Fret

No-Fret Tanker

Oddometer:
    Stiffer springs would help.
  8. oldmopars

Oddometer:
    So, this afternoon I was able to get some time on the bike. I had a set of bars from my CB500X. I installed them and they are OK, but I need some bar risers to make them perfect. If the triple top clamp from the 1500 will fit, it has 1 1/8 bars, this would allow me to use some tall fat bars and may still need a riser, but can use a 1 1/8 ROX riser.
    I have new master cylinders for the clutch and brake that have a narrower mount and are at a better angle for these bars. The Goldwing ones are too steep of an angle.
    I also removed the complete front end, forks, brakes, wheel/tire off the 1500 and installed it on the 1200. This gives me an 18in front wheel, much better tire selections than with the 16in
    Next will be the final drive, rear wheel/tire and brake off the 1500. I will mount it all on the 1200 to give me a 16in rear tire. Again, better selection of tires than with the 15in it currently has.
    Indian is offering a Scout with 16in 150/80-16 off road tires. I have also found a Pirelli and a Duro dual sport tire in that size as well as a 130/90-16.
    Sorry the pictures are really busy, it is back behind my shed. Once I get some help, I will get it into the shed. I need to get some fresh gas. It runs, but the gas is around 5 years old and so it takes a bit to get it running very good.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Dirt Road Cowboy and No-Fret like this.
  9. oldmopars

Oddometer:
    I spent a couple of hours last night working on the wiring harness for the bike. The stock dash was this space aged digital pile of poop that is way too heavy, bulky and stupid looking to put back on the bike.
    I have decided that I want to go with a simple aftermarket Speedo, either cable or GPS. I have kept the Neutral, oil, turn signal, high beam and "tail" lights from the dash/harness. I might add a tach, but I rarely every use one, I use the feel/sound of the bike.
    The goal is to keep it simple. I found several fork mount headlights and turn signal setups that will work and have a plan for the tail lights too.
    I hope to take this thing for a test ride in the next few weeks, then I can start the clean up work to make it look pretty.
    Dirt Road Cowboy and Pezz_gs like this.
  10. No-Fret

No-Fret Tanker

Oddometer:
    Great start! You foresee any vehicle registration issues?
  11. oldmopars

Oddometer:
    Nope, no issues. It is already registered in Washington in my name. There is no inspection here, so as long as it has lights and a license plate, I am good to go.
    I transferred the title shortly after I got it.
    Dirt Road Cowboy likes this.
  12. No-Fret

No-Fret Tanker

Oddometer:
    Awesome!!
  13. Baroquenride

Baroquenride Everyone dies, but not everyone truly lives.

Oddometer:
    Where in Wa?
  14. oldmopars

Oddometer:
    I'm in the Yakima area. Beautiful Central Washington.
  15. oldmopars

Oddometer:
    Progress is a little slow, but I have been working on it a little. I have been scabbing stuff together enough to take it for a test ride. I had to cut up the wire harness and made a holder for the dash lights.
    The headlight is just wired on for the test ride, but will be replaced with a 7in round LED and the dash I found on Amazon as well as the markers and tail lights.
    I have a line on a set of shocks for the rear when I change out the rear wheels and final drive.
    I know its really ugly, but I need to make it legal for a road test, then I can start cleaning it up and make it look good.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Grestil, 9Realms, Amphib and 2 others like this.
  16. No-Fret

No-Fret Tanker

Oddometer:
    Let's ride!!
  17. ONE2NINE

ONE2NINE Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Following. Interested to see what you end up with.
    No-Fret likes this.
  18. oldmopars

Oddometer:
    I had to go out today and met up with a couple that converted their 2000 GL1500 over to a trike. So, they had some left over parts. On the GL1500 they have one standard coil wrapped spring shock on one side, and an air shock on the other. I bought their old coil wrapped shock. My GL1500 still has the stock shocks on it, but I have a new set of Progressive 416's to go on it when my new tire arrives. I will be swapping those out and have another coil wrapped shock for the other side. The GL1200 was an Aspencade and had air shocks rear and air assisted forks in the front. So, now it will have standard GL1500 forks in front and 2 standard coil wrapped shocks in the rear, eliminating the need for the air compressor, that I removed.
    One step closer to a test run.
    Dirt Road Cowboy and No-Fret like this.
  19. Dryslick

Dryslick Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I like your spirit! If you get a chance, check out Piet Boonstra’s blog. He’s ridden a GL all over creation.
    No-Fret likes this.
  20. Vinz Klortho

Vinz Klortho Square Peg Supporter

Oddometer:
    Can I borrow a rake?
    Dino de Laurentiis and No-Fret like this.