1984 Goldwing Adventure build.

Discussion in 'Some Assembly Required' started by oldmopars, Apr 1, 2019.

1. 3legs

3legs Real men ride sidecars Supporter

Oddometer:
    That bike is just screaming out for an off road sidecar.
    BeezaJohn and No-Fret like this.
  2. oldmopars

oldmopars Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yes, but my wallet is screaming "BUDGET!!". So, not now, but maybe in the future. It would be kind of cool.
    No-Fret and 3legs like this.
  3. oldmopars

Oddometer:
    Well I had some time today to get some work done on the ADVWing. I got the new clutch and brake masters mounted and bled. I borrowed some mirrors off my wife scooter, bolted down the modified fender, aired up the tires and scary strapped on a battery. I also added just the Speedo from the 1500. This way I would know how fast it is.
    I then took it for a spin. Now, keep in mind it has at least 2 year old really bad gas in it and needs a tune up and carb sync. But, it runs and I rode it a few miles down the road. Let me tell you, you strip 100+ lbs off a 1200cc Goldwing and the thing becomes STUPID FAST. I was moving at about 45mph and cranked the throttle open and it shot up to 95mph so fast I thought it was going rip me off the back of the bike.
    So, now comes the clean up part of this job. I know it runs, needs a little TLC, but runs. I know it shifts and goes down the road good. I just need to start cleaning it up and make it look good.
    I am going to get a LED headlight, and tail lights. I have some turn signals off some Jap bike from the 80's. The clutch needs to be bled again, I need to make an instrument cluster and clean up all the wiring. Then paint, etc, etc, etc. A lot of work left to do, but now I know it is worth doing.
    That is why I have not spent any time making the bike look good, I wanted to make sure it was going to be something I liked. When I rode it before with all the fairings and air suspension the bike totally sucked. I wanted to push it off a cliff it was so bad. But now it is really fun. I don't care if it is no good off road, it will still be a lot of fun on gravel roads and the 2 lanes.
    Oh, and keep in mind, Emilio Scotto rode a STOCK Goldwing 1100 around the world 1/2 million miles, full fairings and all. This should go where I want to go.

Attached Files:

4. No-Fret

No-Fret DeplorableTanker

Oddometer:
    Great work my friend. If the cops pull you over for the battery just tell them its hybrid.
    Dino de Laurentiis and Amphib like this.
  5. oldmopars

Oddometer:
    IMG_0614.JPG IMG_0615.JPG

Well, I know the thing is still ugly as can be, but it is getting better. That Aspencade headlight was really bad. This looks OK for now, I still plan to get a LED headlight to replace it.
  6. No-Fret

No-Fret DeplorableTanker

Oddometer:
    2005 KLR 650 light and windscreen would be perfect.
  7. oldmopars

Oddometer:
    I was able to get a little more done. I got the lights working and made some adjustments to several things. Got the signals to work and took it for a ride. The springs are a bit stiff, so I need to sort that out.
    I keep plugging away at it.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    JagLite, Honda-50, 9Realms and 3 others like this.
  8. No-Fret

No-Fret DeplorableTanker

Oddometer:
    You rock!!
  9. Dirt Road Cowboy

Dirt Road Cowboy I aim to misbehave.

Oddometer:
    It looks like the bike already has the poor boy mod done with the external alternator.
  10. Dino de Laurentiis

Dino de Laurentiis Working on it

Oddometer:
    Can’t speak for the charging system but absolutely do get quality bearings (SKF, Timken, Koyo etc) and not the allballs stuff. My opinion.
  11. 9Realms

9Realms Drawn in by the complex plot

Oddometer:
    I like this project, subscribed.
    It's quickly turning into Honda art! :lift
    Amphib, JagLite and No-Fret like this.
  12. more koolaid

more koolaid Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It does look adventurist... you just need some knobby tires....and hopefully some soda blasting :-)
    JagLite and No-Fret like this.
  13. oldmopars

Oddometer:
    So, while I do not have any pictures to show yet, I did get a bunch of stuff on order. All new turn signals, headlight, battery, tail light, new dash gauge(Speedo/tach/all-in-one), timing belts, and handle bars. The headlight will be standard Halogen for now, but all other lights are LED. The "dash" is an all in one unit that has everything in it. Speed in digital, but the Tach is analog. The handlebars are different, they are a box of parts that you put together and they have adjustability is all directions. This should help to get them to fit me correctly.
    I also ordered a shelter(fake gas tank) for a GL1100. It will get rid of the big holes in the stock tank. GL1200 standard shelters are extremely rare and command a high price if you can find one. GL1100 shelters are cheap and plentiful and can be adapted with minimal work. So, I got this one shipped for $40, a GL1200 standard shelter would have been $300-500+ if I could even find one.

I did find out that I can get a Kenda Big Block tire in a 16in size that will fit this build. However, the front tire to match would have to either be a rear tire or a different brand. The Duro HF904 is still an option also. The Kenda is a full knobby and would not get that many miles, but it is cheap ($94) so I could just replace it often. I don't think the 904's would last that much longer anyway. The Kendas fit the look and purpose of the bike better anyway.

Slowly it is coming together. I just wish I could get it all finished and reliable before our trip in July. But for now I will have to use the GL1500SE and dream about the GL1200 for next year.
    CopyCat, JagLite and Dirt Road Cowboy like this.
  14. oldmopars

Oddometer:
    Well, I now have pictures of a few things. The handle bars arrived. Crazy adjustable, 9 parts that bolt together and allow tons of adjustment. "dash" all-in-one unit arrived also. Typical China stuff, 19 wires, no instructions. Good thing I Amazon has reviews that warned of this and have the wire layout on-line. LED turn signals are nice and small and will flex if they get hit.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  15. JagLite

JagLite Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    New parts are fun! :clap
    No-Fret likes this.
  16. fast1075

fast1075 Not a Lemming Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have the same turn signals on Scruffy the scooter. You don't even need a flasher. They are sequential. The advert when you bought them may have said the stems are 3/8". They are not. They are 10mm x 1.5. They work fine, but are not real bright in direct sunlight. I supplement mine with hand signals.
  17. Franque

Franque Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I like this! I propose the name XL1200 g/s. I was looking at it, and other than the weight, it feels like it's closer to capturing the spirit of the R80 g/s than even the R1100GS. I also wonder how much faster it'll be when you lose another 50lbs from the battery on the back. :dllama:
    No-Fret likes this.
  18. oldmopars

Oddometer:
    I have a little more done on this. Mostly wires. I have stripped the wire harness and have removed everything I no longer need. I have the dash temp wired in and I now need to pull that sub harness out and solder it up and put it back in. I also need to take about 18in out of 2 more sub harnesses and put them back in. So, in the picture everything is really ugly, but I know what is going on and it all works.
    I have the new dash installed, everything works so far. However I still need to calibrate the speed-o. The gas gauge is also a bit of a puzzle. It "works" but I do not think it is reading accurately. I need to pull it out and run it through the swing of the arm to see where the gauge reads. I may then be able to "adjust" it by either bending the arm slightly or adding a resistor in-line. The dash gauge did not come with any instructions and I do not know what range it is expecting to see.
    As for a name, I am leaning towards "The Amazon" seeing as this is where all the parts have come from. The only thing I did not get from Amazon is the tank shelter.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    JagLite, Dirt Road Cowboy and No-Fret like this.
  19. oldmopars

Oddometer:
    I will have to try that and see if they work that way. If so, it would mean I don't need another flasher unit. The GW uses 2. If they work like you suggest, the flasher will just stay on and the lights will flash. If they don't, the flasher was only $9 and it was plug and play.
  20. No-Fret

No-Fret DeplorableTanker

Oddometer:
    Spahgetti