1985 DR250S rebuild, and garage fun in Tassie.

Discussion in 'Some Assembly Required' started by sruss67, Jul 6, 2020.

1. nostep

nostep Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Super happy for you. Great work. Time to go ride!
    AK650, Fast Idle and sruss67 like this.
  2. sruss67

sruss67 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks @nostep How is your project going, or have you been busy riding?
    nostep likes this.
  3. mentolio

mentolio King of the island of unwanted toys...

Oddometer:
    Glad you got it sorted! There really is no feeling like the one that accompanies a rebuild like this one. Fresh engine bits always bring a smile, now go ride! I just did some work for the local Motorcycle Safety Foundation facilitator on three of his bikes. All three are early 2000s Suzuki GN125s, have thousands of hours (if low mileage), and have NEVER had a valve adjustment nor cam chain adjustment. The difference in the way they run and sound now that it's done is A-mazing, almost like new.
  4. nostep

nostep Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    New opportunities at work have been consuming all my normal project time. They come and go, so when things settle down, I'll get back at it. I've got a mold for the airbox and side panel as well as the wiring shroud waiting to be used, I even have the carbon cut! Just need the spare hours to do it right.

I've put a couple thousand miles on the setup in the last couple months, and things seem to be working well. The upcoming desert season will tell the tale. I'm glad I decided to break the project into phases, keeping it rideable almost all the time.

I've only had time to do maintenance and get some miles in around town. New chain slider yesterday.
    IMG_20211009_140440.jpg
    Congrats again on a successful rebuild!
    AK650 likes this.
  5. sruss67

Oddometer:
    Thanks, happy to finally have the old girl running as she should.
    It appears that chain slider gave you good value haha.
    The seat material looks to be holding up nicely and holding shape well too.
    Juggling time is the fun part, what with work and home life, any hobbies, and sporting interests, time for projects can suffer.
    We will be starting a major renovation of the outside of our home in a couple of months so I have put any other motorcycle project ideas on hold for a while.
    Glad to hear you have had plenty of good riding time too :-)
    AK650 and nostep like this.
  6. nostep

nostep Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yeah, short local rides really help me decompress. The pavement eats knobs though! Seat might be a little slippery for out in the dirt, but we'll see. I put that cover on a spare seat so I can swap out quickly.

I was hoping to get this tire to last another month and replace it right before desert season. I just couldn't manage to stay out of the front brake enough. What I really need is another set of wheels!
    IMG_20211012_204646.jpg
    Good luck on your renovation and thanks for taking us along!
    AK650 and sruss67 like this.
  7. sruss67

Oddometer:
    Looks like you just need to ride around in circles to get the rest of the value out of that tyre :jack That is the trouble with dirt oriented tyres on roads, they wear rather fast.

This thread has been amazing, the people on Some Assembly Required, like yourself for instance share amazing information which helps others learn and grow, and tackle interesting projects too.
    Thanks for sharing all your wonderful knowledge and detailing how to do what you do, I may never need it, but I know where to look if I want to have a gol :clap
  8. sruss67

Oddometer:
    So this came home with me this morning.
    1999 Suzuki Gz250 Marauder with 7200 kms.
    Same engine as the DR250s and upgraded 12v electrics and electric start.
    Cost me $600, unregistered.

Thinking I would like to use this motor and electrics and fit them to the spare 1985 Dr frame I have sitting in the garage.

IMG_20211017_101406.jpg IMG_20211017_101549.jpg IMG_20211017_101331.jpg

Attached Files:

badmanners, AK650, Franque and 2 others like this.
  9. sruss67

Oddometer:
    nostep likes this.
  10. nostep

nostep Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    How's parts availability on that newer motor? Having 12v and estart would be pretty sweet.
  11. Franque

Franque Nilé na sohakélwa manga

Oddometer:
    Also, did they keep the trans ratios the same? Honda did that with the CB125 motor design, which admittedly morphed into a lot of things, but the primary and trans ratios were adapted to suit many different models.
  12. sruss67

Oddometer:
    @nostep Parts are readily available from China, and many from local Suzuki dealers here in Oz.
    @Franque First, fourth and fifth gear are identical, with second and third being slightly higher.
    The only real difference between this engine, the GN250, and the TU250 (carb model) is the cover plates that attach to the head, otherwise, they are identical. And slight differences in the carbs used, the DR has a 34mm, this GZ has a 33mm Mikuni.
    I started looking around at fuel tanks, front ends, rear ends etc last night and will keep an eye out for bargains to see what comes up.
    Thinking of retrofitting more modern forks and swingarm with wheels to suit both, maybe DRZ250/400, or even DR650. Possibly something from another brand or model too.

The fuel tank and plastic side panels will be the trickiest parts to finalise and should be fun to figure out.
    This will be a long term project as I will be starting round one of house renos fairly soon.
    AK650, Fast Idle and nostep like this.
  13. sruss67

Oddometer:
    Whilst looking at tanks last night I noticed the KLR650 tank has a similar mounting system to the DR, so might try to find one locally to see if it will fit and how it would look.
    Also looked at how I could fit a more modern tank from a DR650 or similar as they are reasonably priced second-hand.
    I could always use a tank from an older dirt bike too and make mounts to suit, much to work out for this build :-)
  14. Wildebeest90210

Wildebeest90210 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Does unregistered mean fallen off back of lorry?
    Regarding the house renos, I appreciate that some people feel it necessary to upgrade domestic as well as workshop space. Posting pics I would say is fine as long as there is a bike in the background some times. It's been a while since we had a decent deck thread here.
  15. sruss67

Oddometer:
    ^^^ Hahaha. unregistered means it cannot be ridden on the road until it has passed an inspection and is re-registered in the state you live. Registration lapsed several years ago.
    I won't be flooding this thread with pics of the renos, will be replacing our timber windows with new double glazed aluminium and re-cladding the outside of the front and roadside of the house this time around, and the rest same time next year.
    We are doing things as we can afford them, and so it allows us to pay our loan off as soon as we can.
    The bike stuff will still happen as I will gather parts and still be riding the DR I just finished rebuilding. :-)
    mentolio, nostep, AK650 and 1 other person like this.