1986 CR500R--Woods Bike Material?

Discussion in '2 smokers' started by brucifer, Apr 29, 2016.

1. brucifer

brucifer Long timer

Oddometer:
    "Something about kicking a 500 in gym shoes just feels wrong" Lol. But it sure is nice.
    Pretty sure one of those will find its way onto my bike fairly soon.

Snarlyjohn, thanks for posting up that compression release. I had forgotten about that style.
    A friend of mine had one installed in the cylinder of his Honda XL350 that was pumped to 412cc back in the late '70s.
  2. brucifer

brucifer Long timer

Oddometer:
    Got the new clutch cover conversion done. Now waiting on a new air filter. The old one crumbled into dust.
  3. propturbo

propturbo n00b

Oddometer:
    I learned a trick from the guys at Aloha Trials while I was living on Kauai... if you gently push the motor through one stroke, then push it just past top dead center (it feels like there are 2 compression points as you push it past top dead center, don't go through the second one, just past the first), then bring the kick start back to the top and kick it through. If you follow this procedure for any high compression, single cylinder, bike, you won't have to kick it hard, it won't kick back, and it will be easy to start.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
  4. propturbo

propturbo n00b

Oddometer:
    Also, if the bike is cold, put it in second or third gear and rock it back and forth a few times to prime it. If you have a Rekluse, this does not work; so gently and slowly push it through a couple compression cycles to prime it. Once primed, follow my previous post.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
  5. AlpinaE24

AlpinaE24 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Or just press the magic button and kick it over like a 100
    Foot dragger likes this.
  6. MartiniUp

MartiniUp Long timer

Oddometer:
    And surely everyone can use all that power the CR5 makes. Surely!
  7. snarlyjohn

snarlyjohn Human money repellant

Oddometer:
    That's a valid point - I certainly don't have the riding talent to use all the power of a stock CR500 all the time in its intended application.

But having said that I don't think they're as vicious as their reputation would suggest and it's entirely possible to ride them without becoming terrified. In stock form they make something like an honest 55hp at less than 6000rpm. That's not much more than 100/hp per litre; very mildly tuned for a two stroke and less than a lot of four strokes currently make. Some 125cc motocrossers are making around 300hp/litre for comparison.

Probably not the best bike on which to teach your wife to ride (unless you don't like her), but definitely not the monster they're made out to be.
  8. JCool

JCool Long timer

Oddometer:
    But they will yank the front end up in almost every gear , in first and second only slightly above idle.
  9. Foot dragger

Foot dragger singletracker

Oddometer:
    Hah! good times. I once looped an RD350 out whilst heading to breakfast with friends,landed tumbling/skidding on freshly laid oiled crushed gravel,the roughest biggest sandpaper in existence......
    Bloody mess on both sides,sticking to the sheets for quite a while,could hardly wear a shirt. Of course I was in town and wearing a T-shirt/jeans/dirtbike gloves during the loop-out..

That RD was great if I could get it motating on the rear wheel in 3rd gear,it just smoothed out and went a long ways on one wheel.
  10. Foot dragger

Oddometer:
    I rode a few CR500's and they almost seemed like a big 250,they blow right through the powerband so quick its over before I knew what happened,I guess the proper short shifting is needed. I had a twin shocker 495 KTM and it had a nice long powerband and revved out pretty nice also,I added real thick base gasket to it to make starting easier and mellow the power a little for trailriding,as a side effect it raised the ports and it revved out harder.
    Sucker had zilch for brakes,damned drums.
  11. Foot dragger

Oddometer:
    A friend who trailrode his CR500 did the thick base gasket thing to his,he claimed it helped. He loved that bike till he turned about 60 and tried a modern 300.,,,,,,, no mas big bike.
  12. snarlyjohn

snarlyjohn Human money repellant

Oddometer:
    One of the most effective things you can do to "civilise" a big bore two stroke is to add flywheel weight. As well as sweetening the bike overall it improves its ability to find traction. Add a sensible advance curve along with accurate jetting and it'll be just as fast but docile enough for granny to ride.

Well, almost.
  13. AlpinaE24

AlpinaE24 Long timer

Oddometer:
    People run crazy short gearing normally on these bikes also which doesn't help, 15/41 on my KX is very smooth and controllable power. 5th gear is like warp speed
  14. Foot dragger

Oddometer:
    A CR500 can loop an unsuspecting rider out in 5th gear in a heartbeat,saying they are sort of mildly tuned is one thing,using even half the power they make on an MX track is more then most can accomplish. Anybody can gas up a 4 stroke around a track.
  15. AlpinaE24

AlpinaE24 Long timer

Oddometer:
    When they do find traction things can get a little crazy
  16. GR0NK

GR0NK Got some screws loose!

Oddometer:
    Lmfao. This thread is why I can still scare teenage boys with my CR500. :imaposer
    When they start to doubt my stories I just tell them to google it and it usually brings them here.

I have a cheap helmet that split down the middle when a bike tipped over and fell on it. It's hanging on the wall with other enshrined helmets like it belongs. The story goes that I was wearing it on my first ride on the 500. When I cracked it in 3rd the front wheel came up and smashed me in the head as if to say, "don't do that!" When I can tell the tale without smiling you should see the looks on their faces. :lol3

Other stories I tell the kiddies is that I once pulled a truck out that was stuck in the mud and that I accidentally whiskey throttled off a small log and landed a backflip. Once you get them going you can just make shit up and they'll believe it. It's like lying about Santa Claus and the Easter bunny but for teenagers. :rofl

Eventually they won't even go near the damn thing in the garage and they keep an eye on it like it's going to jump out and eat them. :lol2
    The best is when you've already "got" someone with the stories and now they're on board because they want to pay it forward. You can make women and children cry when you have a sidekick, and the bike doesn't even need to be in sight. :jack

And even after all the stories have been debunked I tell the boys that if they can start it, they can ride it. Most actually try and fail, some try but not very hard as if they just don't want to lose face and some still flat out refuse to even sit on it. :-)

The thing is wicked indeed and is a lot of fun to ride but sometimes I can have as much fun with it just sitting there in the corner of the garage. :evil

Sean :freaky
  17. MarylandStrom

MarylandStrom Long timer

Oddometer:
    1-1/2 year old thread resurrected, but I will bite. I raced a 1986 CR 500 in motocross and loved it. There were very few guys who would use all the bike's power, so as long as you were willing to screw it on, a pass was pretty easy.

That year I also started racing Hare Scrambles and East Coast Enduros in tight woods. Provided you short shifted the bike in the woods, it worked great. The power was similar to a four stroke, very smooth. But when the woods opened up in to something like a gravel pit, you merely had to rev it to hit the after burners and make the pass.

Because I rode the bike in very low R's, the piston lasted forever. Easily went a season or two.

I think I remember reading the 1985 produced the most horsepower, with the 1986 coming a close second. From 87 on, Honda started toning down the hit to help control it a little better. I have a 1988 now and it is a lot smoother, but not as fast. As if you need that much power.
    brucifer and GR0NK like this.
  18. GR0NK

GR0NK Got some screws loose!

Oddometer:
    Shhhhh.... We don't want the kiddies knowing the truth about these dangerous monsters. :lol3

I have an FMF Gnarly on my 86 and it really lets it creep around at low revs without hitting the powerband. It's actually really tractable in tight stuff.

A season or two?!!! My 86 has the OEM piston and rings in it. The cranks seals went bad and started leaking so I might as well do the top-end because I'll probably never get back in there in my lifetime. :lol3

Sean :D
    JCool likes this.
  19. MarylandStrom

MarylandStrom Long timer

Oddometer:
    A few interesting stories in regards to my 1986 CR500. I actually bought the bike in late 87 or 88. Back then, Honda produced motorcycles based on what they thought they could sell. That meant that in any given year, a certain model may not sell out, so they had leftovers in the various warehouses where they stored their crates. I bought the bike through my local dealer, who brought it in as a leftover from the previous year or two. And of course with a fat discount. A few years later, Honda went to an order system in advance, so they only produced what they could sell to the dealers. I believe all the manufacturers do that now.

Basically I got a brand new bike that was in a lot of people's minds, a better bike than the 1987 and 1988 bikes. More powerful, but a lot less controllable. I was good, I wanted the raw power.

Another interesting story. I decided to buy a Boyesen reed valve to add more power. Why I needed more power from a bike I couldn't fully wind out in stock form was beyond me. But I wanted it. I installed the reed valve and followed the instructions from Boyesen. It said to ditch the outer stops from Honda and just use the Boyesen reed valve.

My first race with the reed valve was at Aquasco Speedway. A long ago closed motocross track in Maryland. My first moto I sucked a reed in to the engine and had a dnf. I pushed it back to my truck and took it apart. I found the broken reed and put the stock reed and reed stop back in for the second moto. Interesting enough, Eyvind Boyesen was at the track racing the senior class. He lived in the next state over in PA. I went to his pit and showed him the reed. He basically told me motocross parts are subject to wear and I needed to buy a new reed. I explained that I only had an hour of practice on the reeds and then they went during my first moto. He had no sympathy, nor would he replace them or offer a discount on a new set.

I learned later that Boyesen changed the instructions to read that the stock Honda stops should be used with the Boyesen reeds. The stops kept the reeds from flexing too much and snapping.

I never bought another Boyesen product. A set of reeds would have been a drop in the bucket to them. They clearly didn't test the product enough before they started to sell it. And Eyvind wouldn't stand behind his product.
  20. portalespeanut

portalespeanut nEARLY nORMAL

Oddometer:
    Gronk...love your stories...thanks for the laugh! I'll add to this old thread worthy of being brought back...I too had a CR500, an "88...loved that bike! I did have it set up for off-road and single track by adding the larger Stealhy flywheel, higher gearing, big tank, sidestand, back off the clickers...etc. With my advancing years, I've become a 'lazy' rider, and the big CR was a willing accomplice....just upshift and it was more than happy to do a very decent big bore 4 stroke impersonation at lower rpm's. Riding below the meat of the power band was super easy...almost like cheating. Still, when you wanted, a downshift would put you on the pipe with the afterburners on...perfect! That bike's long gone, but if I could find another good one, I wouldn't hesitate to buy it
    GR0NK likes this.