1986 CR500R--Woods Bike Material?

Discussion in '2 smokers' started by brucifer, Apr 29, 2016.

1. malignity

malignity Wonton

Oddometer:
    Just outta curiosity, are these things streetable at all? Every now and again you see one up for sale, and I keep thinking the close ratio transmission would kill these things for riding on the street, but see that someone has a 15/41 setup and enjoying it. Not that I want to kick over a 500, but for sheer curiosity sake, how fast can these comfortably go down the road?
  2. snarlyjohn

snarlyjohn Human money repellant

Oddometer:
    Yes. Big bore two stroke singles can be LOTS of fun on the street. But there's a few things you need to be aware of. They tend to vibrate quite a bit which can be a problem for extended high rpms. They use lots of fuel, so unless you have a big tank the range is very short. And you have to keep right on top of the jetting - a big single that pops and bucks on the over-run is no fun. It'll spend a lot of time at part throttle too, so jetting has to be spot on for a smooth cruise and to avoid seizure.

On the plus side they have terrific acceleration, a glorious sound and wheelies at will. I love them but they're more for short, fast blasts than long distance stuff.
    GR0NK likes this.
  3. GR0NK

GR0NK Got some screws loose!

Oddometer:
    The close-ratio MX transmission is actually really nice if you want to street one. You gear it high with some nice SuMo wheels and it will pull well past 100mph. Lots of them actually get SuMo'd to race.
    You don't want to DS one because then the gearing is either to low for street or too high for dirt. Stay on pavement and it can be a fun bike. But like John says, these things do buzz quite a bit in the upper RPMs. Thankfully you never really have to stay there very long. :lol3

With MX gearing I have had mine to about 90mph and that was ragging on it. It got there fast, like Point Blimfark fast, but I didn't hold it there for very long. It will pull way taller gearing though.
    Fuel consumption is a PITA. When I went trail riding with the guys I would keep a small bottle of pre-mix oil in the airbox. I forget how much (350ml I think) it was just enough to mix a full tank. The petcock doesn't have a reserve position so you have to stay on top of it. I plugged a T-fitting in between the petcock and the carb with a length of hose running up to the triple clamps. The level in the hose is the level in the tank so it's easy to see.

Sean :D
  4. JCool

JCool Long timer

Oddometer:
    For the street , I think a 250 would be a better choice. You could tame it easier with gearing and a 250 has a wider rev range.
    Dao1 likes this.
  5. malignity

malignity Wonton

Oddometer:
    HA! So a buddy of mine last night randomly told me he can get an 1986 CR500 for about $500, wanted to know what I thought. Apparently it has 1988-1989 plastics and seat cover -- was blue, was just changed to red. Wanted to know if I could flip it for more.

Talk about irony. I told him yes, I could probably easily sell her for $2500+

Apparently he has an almost complete second parts bike too. He's insisting on taking the engine out and using it in a go-cart, or some sort of small plane you don't need a license to fly -- I don't know what they're called. I couldn't express to him enough how much of a bad idea this was. LOL
    davesupreme and GR0NK like this.