1987 Moto-Morini Camel

Discussion in 'Moto Bellissima: All Other Dualsports' started by Teeds, Apr 16, 2007.

1. Teeds

Teeds Don Quixote

Oddometer:
    Who can tell me anything about these bikes? I just saw one this evening that a buddy has found.

It apparently has not been on the street since 1999, based upon the tag.

Very dirty from sitting under a shed, but it kicks through and seems to have compression.

Any idea of the value? It appears complete.
  2. s10rat

s10rat Long timer

Oddometer:
    A 500 morini camel?
    The first versions had a better looking roundish tank and twin shocks
    the later ones aesthetically weren't so appealing to me , square tubing frame , monoshock
    Personally I had a couple of 350's
    They are great handling bikes ...very economical... superreliable ,dry clutch
    very fast for their size and pretty light
    very easy to work on
    The 500 are even faster ....
    If you find an early model for the right price is also a good classic investment
    ....good luck
  3. Teeds

Teeds Don Quixote

Oddometer:
    I didn't think to look at the shock, but it does have a square tube frame.

The tank is huge. We didn't get to really look closely at it, because it was late and dark. All we had with us was one small flashlight.

Mark tells me the owner wants $1,500 as it sits. Considering the fact that it is no running, I'm guessing that is a bit high, but what do I know.

Are prts available for the bikes?
  4. s10rat

s10rat Long timer

Oddometer:
    In Italy You could find parts..that's where I am from but live abroad now
    everywhere else I don't know
    ..they are hard to break though..
    I had my barbarian brother 350 passed on to me when I was a kid
    and I think in 2 years we never checked the oil level and he abused of it mercylessly
    Then we sold it and the new owner called us after 1 year or so telling us
    how happy he was with the bike
    this was back in 1988
    To tell you the truth I never heard of anyone breaking the engine>
    As far as price goes that's kind of relative of the state of it
    and 500 are scarcer than 350
  5. Arch

Arch Incurable Gearhead

Oddometer:
  6. not2fast

not2fast Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hermy's Triumph / BMW in Port Clinton PA was a local dealer and possibly main importer of Moto-Morini cycles. They have a website for thier business,
    www.hermys.com, that might be of some help. Send them an e-mail and see what happens.

They still have some Morinis in their personal museum / warehouse in Port Clinton.

Terry
  7. Teeds

Teeds Don Quixote

Oddometer:
    Thanks! I thought that is where I went with it, but it was late and I was full of slow dog ...
  8. wpbarlow

wpbarlow Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I had one for several years; sold it in 2005. A surprisingly capable bike- much better then the modest specifications would suggest. It's forte was handling- very well sorted chassis and suspension. Much better off road than a TransAlp and almost as comfortable, - probably the bike it's closest to in feel and function. Slots pretty much between a 650 thumper and the TA in most respects.

I sold mine for two reasons 1) hybrid 6-12V electrical system meant I couldn't run electrics and, 2) mine was kick start only; and while generally an easy 1 kick starter; it was a very difficult starter when on its side- something that it did often when I took it off road :lol3

Some of the later models had electric starters- but I've heard 2nd hand that it wasn't reliable. Other than that- the bikes have pretty good reliability.

Good (but small) owners list and I only ever needed to replace two parts- the timing belt and a valve- both of which were readily available.

Hard to say what it's worth- if you like the bike, see if you can get a mechanic's opinion on it (or do an assessment yourself if you're competent). Worth a chance if it's an easy to moderate effort to get it running.

[​IMG]
  9. atgreg

atgreg Africatwinarama

Oddometer:
    Calling Mr Frankenbeemer !!!
  10. atgreg

atgreg Africatwinarama

Oddometer:
  11. Donkey Hotey

Donkey Hotey De Jo Momma

Oddometer:
    If your friend doesn't buy the bike, could you pass the contact information on to me?
  12. gaspipe

gaspipe Wandering Soul

Oddometer:
    I had two of these bikes, and rode the piss out of them.

The motor in the one in the pic is the late model version [501 Camel] with a 507cc motor. These run much, much better than the older 479cc motors in the original 500 Camel. The electric starters suck. Kick 'em over. The D'ellorto carbs need a little jetting work to get right, and they run much, much better with the restrictor plates pulled out of the mufflers.

They have Marzocchi forks and shock, and they handle quite well. Grimeca brakes, too. Veglia instruments.

Hermy Baver is getting up there in years, but his son, also Hermy (Jr), seems to be running stuff lately. They are great people to work with. They have TONS of Morini parts. The dry clutch won't take a lot of abuse. The motors have no real filters, just a screen. You need to be good about that, or plumb in a filter, which was fairly common.

Like wpbarlow said, Gilmer belts and valves are the wear items. Readily available. If I came a cross a decent 500 Camel, I'd buy it in second and ride the beast to Mexico.

If you don't want it, let me know where it is. I have some new OE pistons and other parts that need a 501 Camel.
  13. s10rat

s10rat Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hi Donkey
    still didn't have time to go see the zx11
    and in the meantime
    showed up a gsxr 1100 for the same price ...now tough choice..
  14. s10rat

s10rat Long timer

Oddometer:
  15. Eurobiker

Eurobiker Vintage Cat Herder

Oddometer:
    From Arch's link:

[​IMG]
  16. Desertpistons

Desertpistons 80s dakar

Oddometer:
    I was called to the rescue;Price? it' s a rare bike and if it is complete give what your can. The bike is a lot of fun. Square tubes with larger tank? probably a 501 with the electric starter. I paid 1,700 for a decent 501 with no electric starterParts in the US? -Hemi has some and others in Germany-Italy. You don't find everything but enough parts to get the bike running without any problem.I love the first camels with round tubes since the last ones were really Cagivas. The cagivas have a better engine though with nikasil liners. By the way, if someone have nikasil 501 cilynders and pistons, i will take them for a round tubes conversion.I have a 501 that I have been playing with it: marzocchi magnum forks; 501 electric starter tank, wilbers back shock, full 12 volts conversion, and electronic ignition. I have started the project this winter and not finished yet. In the interim rebuilding a Valentini morini replica...Eurobiker, that is the pic of one of my Morinis...a fake sahara model:)
  17. _cy_

_cy_ Long timer

Oddometer:
    for you moto morini fans with 5k miles ..

----------------

1986 Moto Morini 501 camel - $5000 (Hinton ,OK.)

<figure class="iw"> [​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    </figure> © craigslist - Map data © OpenStreetMap

<small> (google map) (yahoo map) </small>

condition: excellent

more ads by this user
    <section id="postingbody">for sale 1986 moto morini 501 camel, very rare bike runs very good. all original . only one dealer in oklahoma, had one moto morini to sell in 1986, the only moto morini sold in oklahoma in 1986. if you like something no one else has, this bike is it. can be seen at exit 101 off interstate 40. call dave at 4055423198 cash deals only. - I have 10 Italian motorcycles for sale.</section>
  18. wpbarlow

wpbarlow Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have a 3 Moto Morini 500/Camel 501 books available for whoever wants them for whatever the mailing cost is (probably less than $10 CONUS)

Here's a pic of them [​IMG]
  19. rossguzzi

rossguzzi 990 Adv.

Oddometer:
    Yes Please !
  20. pennswoodsed

pennswoodsed lizards,bugs and me

Oddometer:
    Hi,
    If Rossguzzi can not complete transaction ,let me know .Lucky guy has a Camel !