1989 Honda Hawk GT D/S conversion?

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by EVILONE, Apr 7, 2009.

1. EVILONE

EVILONE Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yo,EVIL here.Been a while........

I'm thinking of converting my 1989 Honda Hawk GT into a good dual sport bike.Has anyone on here ever done it?Pros and cons?Parts list?Any help would be awesome!Hook a brother up!

EVIL:evil
  2. Kawidad

Kawidad Long timer

Oddometer:
    :lurk
  3. debaisley

debaisley Long timer

Oddometer:
    I know some people have put the hawk engine into a transalp

[​IMG]
  4. Strawman

Strawman Big Husky

Oddometer:
    This is just my opinion, os take it as that.

The NT650 is a bit heavy for its size. It also sits pretty low to the ground for dual sporting.

If you could get a set of spoke wheels to fit the SSA and put a 929 inverted front end on it, with a spoked wheel, you would be off to a good start.

The gas tank limits you to about 120 miles but there are a couple of aftermarket tanks including a carbon fiber one that can almost double that.

You would really need to protect the radiator as it is a major weaknells sticking out of the front of the bike.

You would want to put on a Kerker or 2 Bros high mount exhaust on it. The stock system will not do for dual sport. It is heavy, VERY low, and prone to taking on water

Here is my old Haw with a 929 front end on it, converted to a mild street fighter.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  5. EVILONE

EVILONE Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yep,I'm aware they are low,mine is a street fighter now,similar to yours.Mine has a F3 front suspension,and Fox twin clicker rear shock.Not to mention a pretty hot motor.Exhaust will not be a problem,I will have it custom made by Kevin Drum from Drummer Racing Products.

The info I'm really looking for,is what front forks could I use to get lots of clearance,and what to do about the rear.The fuel capacity doesn't bother me much,and I have quite a bit of fabrication skills,so I can make one if I have to.

Anyone else?:ear

6. clapped_r6

clapped_r6 The Spoad Warrior

Oddometer:
    Robb did an "Adventure Hawk" awhile back, though I couldn't find the pics. I think the postings were deleted.

When I had a Hawk way back when, you could modify an F2 tank to fit, with an extra gallon.

I was thinking the same kind of thing, although the swingarm angle is totally wrong, besides being pretty short. I don't know, throw some knobblies on it and let us know how it rides!
  7. EVILONE

EVILONE Long timer

Oddometer:
    Shameless bump for more info............:ear

8. Kawidad

Kawidad Long timer

Oddometer:
    As far as the front end goes, I'd suggest looking at the XR650R front end. That's the heaviest duty front suspension that Honda made for dirt bikes. Keeping with Honda, the parts are more likely to bolt right over. You might even look that direction for the swing arm too. :augie
  9. DaveM

DaveM Rider

Oddometer:
    Hi

Having owned a Hawk for a time I would advise against raising it to much. The swingarm and chain angle seems to affect rear wheel traction quite a bit on the Hawk chassis.

I had thought about turning it into more of a Dirttrack/Scrambler limiting the lift.

Dave
  10. azcagiva

azcagiva new orange flavor

Oddometer:
    I would look at running some 50mm conventional wp forks that KTM had on some of their 2000 bikes(620...). I have seen a few for sale here in the flea market pretty cheap. Those with some custom triple clamps set up so you can run the KTM axle and stuff. I would maybe lengthen the rear swing arm a bit to help negate the steep angle once it is raised. (I have seen some of the cars you have worked on so I am confident you could do it).

It would definitley be cool and original

-John
  11. atgreg

atgreg Africatwinarama

Oddometer:
  12. Clockwatcher

Clockwatcher Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Now just listen to the old TA guy for a minute, what you really want to do , is to sell the GT....Find a Transalp and go ride!
    Same engine (basically) Get NCRick (cogent dynamics ) to fix the suspension stuff and just roll up the miles. Less time in the shop and more time on the road....I'm just sayin.....

Russ
  13. EVILONE

EVILONE Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yo Russ!I haven't see you in a while!Probably because I sold my DR last year.....lol.I agree with you in theory,but right now Im kinda strapped for cash,and the Hawk has to stay(says the wife/boss)What could a fella pick up a TA for?:ear

14. BENRON

BENRON Crosscut Certified

Oddometer: