1989 Suzuki rm125

Discussion in '2 smokers' started by emti, Aug 14, 2020.

1. emti

emti Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Im working on a 1989 Suzuki rm125, after removing the exhaust valves (AETC power valve) I found a small hole in each "port" in the cylinder head casting where the valves slide back and forth. . They don't appear to be a machined hole but are in approximately the same spot in each port, and I think they go into the water jacket? I can't find any reference to this in the manual or on line. I believe its damage or a defect, as this bike was rode hard and neglected. Has anyone else seen this in a two stroke power valve? Is it for lubrication? Thanks emti
  2. emti

emti Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The holes were possibly caused by corrosion inside the water jacket and/or cavitation of the coolant,.. maybe. Anyway the cylinder is unusable/unrepairable as there is no cost effective repair. Thanks emti
  3. offroadtoys

offroadtoys Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    That's a bummer but I see that era RM on FB marketplace and craigslist pretty regularly. Should be able to find a used serviceable one, I would think. Good luck. I always liked that year RM's and have this brochure somewhere at home:

Suzuki RM 1989 Lineup.jpg
  4. Foot dragger

Foot dragger singletracker

Oddometer:
    Good epoxy can be an amazing thing.
    It has been used to fill in ports when a port job has been over done. Clean it and sand it if possible and epoxy the holes shut if your sure they go into the water jacket cavity.
  5. emti

emti Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thank you, Ill look into that .
    Foot dragger likes this.