1989 XR250R dual sport build

Discussion in 'Some Assembly Required' started by AJxr, May 18, 2020.

1. AJxr

AJxr #395

Oddometer:
    rewind to 5/9/2017.

tivoli, NY

while at work i took the tractor trailer to the local shop for inspection.

while waiting, kicking rocks around the parking lot, i noticed a few machines out back in a pole barn and under a tarp.

noticed one was a complete 1989 honda xr250r in pretty dang original trim. i had to have it.

struck a deal with the shop owner and took it back home with me. ill explain to the boss that i just... needed it? :loco

xr1.jpg

it hadnt run in years, hell over a decade. maybe 2 decades. i had no plans for it but it was just one of those things that had to be in my garage with the other bikes.

a few days later i took 20 minutes and cleaned the tank and carb. (nothing else) 2 kicks later it was purring like a kitten. i knew some day i would do something with the old girl.

fast forward to covid19 lockdown 2020. racing is cancelled in the northeast (i race enduro/harescrambles/mx.) in need of a project to keep sane it was time to get the old girl back in action. but also what would i do with this machine once it was finished? a long distance trip through mountains and desert? nothing? vintage racing?

Stay tuned.
    greasyfatman and Pezz_gs like this.
  2. Dread_lion

Dread_lion Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    In for this one. did the same thing a while ago. Favorite bike to go offroad, she's a keeper.
    AJxr likes this.
  3. AJxr

AJxr #395

Oddometer:
    i am pretty far ahead on the resurrection of this bike so i will try to get this thread up to date.

first step was tear down, clean, assess, make lists, start spending money.

2687AB99-BA55-4674-9888-E515F33912B4.jpeg xr3.jpg
    xr4.jpg
    xr5.jpg
    xr6.jpg
    xr7.jpg
    xr8.jpg
    xr9.jpg
  4. AJxr

AJxr #395

Oddometer:
    onward with the tear down followed by scrubbing, scrubbing, scrubbing. also want to note that there wont be any repainting on this rig. no new plastics either. there will be a large tank installed and new seat cover though.

carb looking to be in damn near perfect shape for 31+ years old.
    xr10.jpg

honda with the greasable linkage back in 89

xr11.jpg
    xr12.jpg

someone had been living in the airbox at some point in this bikes history (of sitting)
    xr13.jpg

xr14.jpg
    xr15.jpg
    xr16.jpg
    xr22.jpg
    xr21.jpg
    xr23.jpg
    1litre and ONE2NINE like this.
  5. 1litre

1litre In over my head

Oddometer:
    I will tag along for the ride as I just finished a low low money strip down rebuild of my 1990 XR250R . I’m going to start on a 1991 XR250 L but I think I want to spend more time and a little bit of money to make that one like new.
    AJxr likes this.
  6. ex250mike

ex250mike Long timer

Oddometer:
    Looks like it should clean up nice.
    AJxr likes this.