1993 VX800

Discussion in 'Some Assembly Required' started by Troncd, Aug 25, 2018.

1. Troncd

Troncd Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hello all. Thought I’d share my newest project with all of you. If any of you have thoughts or tips I’d love to hear them!

I’ve been buying, fixing, and playing with different bikes over the last year or so as deals come up or a few extra dollars come around. By few dollars, I mean sub $500.

The latest facebooks marketplace find was this. IMG_0540.jpg

A 1993 Suzuki VX800. I had never heard of this bike before, but my first street legal bike was a 94 intruder so I’m somewhat familiar with this motor as the two bikes share the same 805cc v twin. As soon as I saw the ad I wanted it!

I met the older gentleman who was selling it and he took me to his shed where it’s been stored for 5 years. He said he never rode it much, and it began to run increasingly worse until he finally just parked it in frustration. His reason for not wanting to work in it? He didn’t have any millimeter wrenches.

He sold me the complete, titled, stock (unmolested) bike and a set of throw over bags for a nominal fee and away I was.

Threw a battery in it and pulled the carbs last night. They were surprisingly clean but I gave all the parts a pine sol soak anyway. The tank has been the worse part. I had to drill the cap off! And the rust inside is ridiculous. I plan to try muriatic acid tomorrow. Any suggestions here?

I did manage to reinstall the carbs today and it started right up with an auxiliary fuel supply.

IMG_0542.jpg IMG_0543.jpg IMG_0546.jpg

I’ll update after tank cleaning attempt!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    JagLite likes this.
  2. Troncd

Troncd Adventurer

Oddometer:
    wring section. Can this be moved to some assembly required??

3. villageidiot

villageidiot Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    a moderator will be by to move this to the proper section.
  4. chazbird

chazbird Long timer

Oddometer:
    These are cool bikes. Didn't own one but got to ride one every once in awhile. Really good torque and smooth. They tend to easily corrode, maybe yours avoided that. The "thing" about them is the rake, makes it a kinda lazy handler, but not bad. The suspension is way too soft, woefully so. Easy to bottom the forks and rear shocks are not much better.

But you got a good score.
  5. JagLite

JagLite Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Sweet bike and a real deal!
    I have one now to replace the one I sold many years ago.
    As chaz said, the suspension is very week but easy to improve with springs and good oil in front and replacement shocks in back.
    The motor is good and pulls nicely, the steering is slow with so much rake but it handles well for a standard.
    Shaft drive is simple, and the bike is very easy to work on if you want to.

Any plans for it?
    Night_Wolf likes this.
  6. Troncd

Troncd Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Idk exactly what I’m doing with it yet aside from getting it road worthy. There is some slight corrosion on some of the chrome bits. Mostly in the headers. I think most of it will clean up. I enjoyed the motor on my old intruders. I look forward to riding a bike with a similar feel but in an upright, likely more comfortable position.

My typical deal is to make something rideable, enjoy for a few months, then sell it off to fund a new project. This one may be unique enough to keep around and ad to the current line up of bikes. Time will tell.

Have you kept the stock vacuum petcock or opted for a manual on your vx? I’ve read and understood that to be a potential weak point. Any pics of yours?

JagLite likes this.
  7. VX Rider

VX Rider Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have a 91 vx

It had progessive springs in the forks
    Putting 15wt fork oil and some new shocks on the rear really helped.
    Night_Wolf and JagLite like this.
  8. Yellow Jacket

Yellow Jacket Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  9. Troncd

Troncd Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I ended putting a gallon of muriatic acid in it. It cleaned out a ton of the rust and chunks. I also installed an inline filter. It start and runs decent. I was able to ride it up and down the road a few times.

I need to sync the carbs. I’m assuming the sync process is the same as for the intruder? Also, it’s smoking some under hard throttle. My last two projects, KLR650 and klr250 did the same the first few rides until they were rode for a while. Over time this quit. I suppose sitting in a shed for 5 years could create a need to blow out some cob webs so to speak?

My replacement gas cap assembly should be here this week. I’ll change the oil, filter, brake fluid this week too.

10. VX Rider

VX Rider Long timer

Oddometer:
    20180826_100155.jpg

Attached Files:

Night_Wolf, JagLite and Troncd like this.
  11. Troncd

Troncd Adventurer

Oddometer:
    This afternoon I removed the windshield and replaced a missing bolt on the headlight housing. I also “repaired” the headlight as it wasn’t working. By repaired I mean I unplugged it, plugged it back in and it worked here’s the bike reassembled after carb removal/cleaning. IMG_0555.jpg

I’ll tackle the corrosion sometime this week as well.

12. Troncd

Troncd Adventurer

Oddometer:
    A couple pics of the stable filling up. May need a bigger garage soon. Left to right. 2008 Roadstar Warrior, 1992 VFR750, the 93 VX800, and my “wife’s” 2009 Zuma 125.

IMG_0556.jpg IMG_0557.jpg

JagLite likes this.
  13. Troncd

Troncd Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Tinkered a little more today. My new gas cap assembly arrived so I got it installed. Drained the oil and removed the oil filter only to find I didn’t have the correct replacement. I have a stockpile of filters for my other bikes and when I googled the PN I thought it was what I already had. I was wrong but oh well, I’ll pick one up tomorrow.

I’ve been research carb sync for this bike. Seems easy enough, even appears I’ll be able to leave the tank on.

14. Night_Wolf

Night_Wolf Leg Humper

Oddometer:

Oil Filter Fram PH6018? Although it's not an Intruder (yes I know the bikes very well) some of the info on my personal site for the VS800 Intruder might be valuable. If you have an oil change coming shortly, toss some Seafoam in the current oil, take it for a spin & then do your change. Will remove any sticking or gummed up clutch plates. Check the Wrenching & Tips section. If I could find a VX800 I think I would pick it up. Standard "style" with a shaft drive is exactly what I want
    JagLite and Troncd like this.
  15. Troncd

Troncd Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yep that’s the filter. I’ll check out your site. Once I get the new filter and finish up the oil change, I’ll get it on the road, warmed up and ready for a carb sync. Or an attempt anyway...

It appears to have a slight leak where the shifter arm comes out of the case. Any knowledge of what to replace of how to fix?

16. Night_Wolf

Night_Wolf Leg Humper

Oddometer:
    Sent you a PM

I have another for the newer S50, where the quality of the scan might be better if you find the image quality lacking. Just let me know
    Troncd likes this.
  17. JagLite

JagLite Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Here is the VX I bought... 5 years ago.
    I can't believe it has been 5 years.
    I bought it cheap as a project, then we bought an old house.
    Between remodeling the new-old house, and fixing up our original house to sell it, then moving....

upload_2018-8-28_6-58-38.png

It runs great, the rattle can flat black paint job is ugly, the front part of the front fender is broken off and the passenger grab bar is missing but other than some rust on bolts and fittings from sitting outside where the previous owner kept it, the bike is in very good condition.

It was on CL for $800 with a clean title so I just had to buy it.
    My first VX800 was a great bike but I sold it when we started building our house and I had no time to ride.

I sold my first VX to a young guy who rode it from Anchorage to Denver where he was going to the university.
    Here he is leaving town for his trip:

upload_2018-8-28_7-4-7.png

Here is a picture of most of my bikes when we were moving (5 years ago!):

upload_2018-8-28_7-7-20.png

You asked about the fuel petcock earlier, I still have the stock vacuum valve but the one on my first VX did leak once and the carbs float needle didn't stop the flow but after taking it apart and cleaning it I never had another problem.
    I haven't checked the one on the new VX but it doesn't smell like gas in the shed where it is stored with various other project and parts bikes so I will say it is not leaking.

Adding a simple inline fuel valve is an easy way to make sure the vacuum valve doesn't flood the engine, as long as you remember to turn it on and off that is.
    FR700, Night_Wolf and Troncd like this.
  18. Troncd

Troncd Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I think the VX I just bought has the same windshield as your first that you sold. Looks similar anyway, but I went ahead and removed it.

I replaced the petcock with a cheap aftermarket manual one. Only because the inside of the tank was so nasty that it left the filter and brass tube of the petcock non existent. The intervals of the petcock were decent so I might could still use it. Until I get everything else ironed out I’ll probably leave the manual one in place.

JagLite likes this.
  19. VX Rider

VX Rider Long timer

Oddometer:
    It's the.shift shafts seal

An easy fix....

Second on addition of an in line shut off
    Cheap insurance against fuel leak into cranckcase
  20. Troncd

Troncd Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks. I ordered this off the bay. Looking over parts diagrams it appears to be the seal I need.
    IMG_0562.jpg

How easy a fix? Any tips?

Night_Wolf likes this.