For sale 1993 Yamaha TDM, Wash DC area

Discussion in 'Bikes' started by Butters, Aug 28, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Butters

Butters Kwyjibo Supporter

Oddometer:
    I flirted briefly with selling this bike last September. I don't think I have even ridden it ten times since then, so hopefully somebody out there can appreciate it and ride the heck out of it.

I won't go too deep into what a TDM is, if you are reading this ad, you probably already know. It basically is a long legged sportbike along the lines of a Multistrada/Versys/FJ-09. But back in the early nineties, people weren't too interested in a bike like this, especially when it was priced like a BMW. So after a short run in the US, Yamaha stopped US sales. They sold quite well in Europe, however, through three generations. The bike is pretty rare in the US, although I won't try to fool you and say it is particularly valuable.
    Left side.jpg

The bike needs nothing. It has about 45K miles. It has several modifications/upgrades aimed squarely at reliability and utility. Known weak spots have been addressed. The listed upgrades have all been installed in the last 7500 miles that I have owned the bike.

- The bike already had a respray when I bought it, but I wasn't happy so it was repainted in 2016 to the desert sand color it is now (it is a Toyota LC/FJ color).
    - The emulsion tubes are a known weak spot with these carbs and they have been replaced with nickel plated Factory Pro tubes which are good for about 25K miles. The carbs have been thoroughly rebuilt and jetted and adjusted properly.
    - The typical shunt type Reg/Rec has been replaced with a MOSFET type for reliability
    - It has a Hyperpro rear shock and front springs set for a 180lb rider. These are about 3 years old.
    - The vacuum type fuel pump was replaced in 2016. The previous pump was working, but these are known to dry out and fail over the years so it was replaced as PM.
    - The Givi racks (very hard to find) and luggage are included.
    - The wheel bearings have been replaced.
    - The valves were adjusted in the last 6k miles.
    - New front discs and pads
    - Bulbs, to include the headlights, have been replaced with LEDs
    - Heated grips
    - Later gen TDM900 mirrors with extenders
    - Delkevic 2 into 1 exhaust
    - Unobtainium crash bars installed
    - Pilot Road 3s have plenty of life left

The price is $2500 firm.

Rt side.jpg
    Seat.jpg
    Front 3 qtr.jpg
    slime, FMFDOC, +venture and 27 others like this.
  2. KneeDrachen

KneeDrachen Long timer

Oddometer:
  3. Butters

Oddometer:
  4. Butters

Oddometer:
    I would consider trades plus cash going either way. Not really interested in bikes unless it is a project (i.e. ~$1000 or less). VT500 Ascot or an older BMW K or R bike would be the only things that come to mind, but I'm open to other ideas.

Would be interested in trading the bike toward a car (primarily Japanese). I am open to offers, but have mostly been looking at the following vehicles: Infiniti G or EX, Acura TSX wagon, Toyota 4Runner, or Volvo V60 (OK, that one isn't Japanese).
  5. NYTrainer

NYTrainer Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I currently have a 92 850 and would like another. I have a 92 BMW K100R that I would trade plus cash.
    PM me and we can talk!
    pennswoodsed likes this.
  6. Butters

Oddometer:
    PM Sent
  7. Butters

Oddometer:
    Let's give this one bump . . .

I would also consider trading with cash toward a Kawasaki VX300.

Of course, that would mean I would be selling my X-Challenge afterward. :(:
  8. Butters

Oddometer:
    Well, I guess the world just doesn't appreciate the wonder that is a TDM :D. Anyway, I would also consider a VT500 Ascot in partial trade.
  9. Chuck_V

Chuck_V Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  10. Butters

Oddometer:
  11. john able

john able Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Somebody buy/trade for this bike. I've talked to seller on several occasions......he is knowledgeable and honest, it seems. Can't imagine anyone would expect a "better" price. This is a bargain. I recently had to walk away from a local deal for the same bike because it was not to this sellers level. Please, buy or trade before I do something foolish!
  12. Barry

Barry Just Beastly

Oddometer:
    He’s local. I want it. Don’t need another bike.
  13. Butters

Oddometer:
    Thanks guys. An inmate PMed me today. It will make somebody happy. Or it will keep making my happy.
  14. maxjett

maxjett Ride with Rocko

Oddometer:
    Bump! I've owned two of these and I would like to have this one but no room unless you want an 05 GS but I would need some bucks also
  15. john able

john able Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Butters. Please keep us updated. on sale.....just in case we fall victim to temptation
    Butters and local1 like this.
  16. Butters

Oddometer:
    I appreciate it, but it would just be another bike I'm not riding. Would love one, but just can't justify it right now.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.