1994 k Roo build thread

Discussion in 'Trials' started by Junglejeff1, Aug 20, 2019.

1. Junglejeff1

Junglejeff1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Going to post up some stuff on the trials(lol)and tribulations of my K Roo experience.I like old bikes and I spotted these 2 old dinasour,s sitting in my friends storage shelter.Picked them up for 300 bucks.My friend Ryan actually won the intermediate class on the 94 I have now.He sold it to me(and a 89 parts bike)because it was needing more and more fixing.He is a contract painter and sort of dismal on working on bikes.He and his relation who is now top intermediate in district 16 are now great friends I have met because of trials.I honestly am a suck ass trials rider but having fun doing it.Been racing offroad and mx for over 30 years but this trials thing is fun for a guy that broke and fractured way to many bones.So now I will start my k- roo build and hope some gear heads like me can join the party(at 56 I still like to party).
  2. Junglejeff1

Junglejeff1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    My friend Ryan dropped off the Roo and parts bike when he brought me his GG for service work.I put them in the leaky storage building 20190707_171632.jpg and just pulled them out yesterday.They have been in there all summer and I tried to sell them even.Had one DF wanted to me to sell parts bike to build a chopper lol.Kid with a welder thinking he is a bike builder lol.Ended up taking bikes off forums because of endless dumb fk,s.I was sort of burnt out from my TY250 build but am over that.Ready to go full steam ahead on this because I always need a more projects than I can handle(Building a 32 x32 building and need to put steel roof on house right now,steel is setting next to driveway).
    Amphib likes this.
  3. Junglejeff1

Junglejeff1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Took some parts off then power washed.Put some of my magic fluid in which is marvel oil mixed with mercon mixed with wd 40 and spun motor with drill.Checked spark as I did this and have nice blue arc that shoots 3/8".Flipped bike and spun it again to get excess out. 20190820_105031.jpg 20190820_123331.jpg
    Amphib likes this.
  4. Junglejeff1

Junglejeff1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I was worried when I pulled air filter out.Thinking mice got to it or just fell apart over the years and hopefully bike was not run like this.Turned out good because when I went up the ports piston looks like new.Amazing how this bike scene little love and piston is in excellent shape. 20190818_232112.jpg
    Amphib and DyrWolf like this.
  5. Junglejeff1

Junglejeff1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Bikes nick name is Stanley steamer by Ryan.Thing would blow it,s cork.I found a blown base gasket and may be the reason. Going to check water pump if I can find the damn thing.This bike is real weird to me.Quite a bit different than jap design.hydrolic clutch is really weird.Thing uses tranny shaft as Slave cylinder.I can see this thing is going to make bleeding a tech/AJP brake system look easy.No bleeder with this goofy system.
    Brewtus likes this.
  6. Junglejeff1

Junglejeff1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Not a great pick but that piston slides into tranny shaft and acuates the clutch. Pretty crazy system.I have never seen anything like it but I never have scene a system before like 02 up GG pro engines with main bearings lubed by tranny oil so what do I know lol.Going to be interesting when I get a puller to yank flywheel on right side of motor.Need to get flywheel off to pull right case cover(stupid design).I want to see how the heck they feed that shaft from the other side.The clutch was leaking fluid so looks like I will be o ring hunting. 20190820_204737.jpg
  7. Junglejeff1

Junglejeff1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    See that gear below my thumb.It is the starter gear.I am having a hard time getting the Phillips screw loose.I use my old school hammer impact and will not break loose.When I try to get it to move it actuated the starter on other side of bike.I understand how it works and just need to get it off.I had to push start bike as kick starter would slip out.Thinking engagement dogs are rolled over some.Will pull from parts bike or regrind but having issue getting that Phillips broke loose.Anyone with info on these bikes or links to help would be cool. 20190820_204752.jpg
    Kiharaikido likes this.
  8. Junglejeff1

Junglejeff1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    And I have a feeling that plastic gear up high crosses over to water pump.Mainly because a hose is across from it on right case.Who the heck designed these things.
  9. mrsdnf

mrsdnf Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Lost between the Dandenongs and Yarra Valley
    All the best for the rebuild Junglejeff1. Is the screw possible left hand threaded?
    Junglejeff1 likes this.
  10. Brewtus

Brewtus Buffoonery, Inc.

Oddometer:
    And people call me crazy..... :lol3

Why the teardown? Are the crank bearings bad? Connecting rod loose? :dunno
    Junglejeff1 and Huzband like this.
  11. Junglejeff1

Junglejeff1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Not going all the way in as motor is fine.Issues are kicker mechanism is slipping out and can not kick start.had to pull clutch to get to it but having issue getting that bolt out.Not fully engaging or dogs are wore but need to get that gear off to find out.Another issue is clutch not working and leaking down fast.Another issue is the steaming but the piston looks like new so all those years of steaming must not have been true over heating.It looks like the base gasket spit out on left transfer so may be a leak going on into motor.My plan is get kicker and clutch working and run and get it steaming good.My trial friend that owned it lacks mechanical skills and may be something simple.I was afraid piston was trashed because of its nick name but from what I see I am guessing it is just a leak somewhere.
    Brewtus likes this.
  12. Brewtus

Brewtus Buffoonery, Inc.

Oddometer:
    Right on.

Mike at The Tryals Shop will be your friend for Fantic bits. :thumb
    Junglejeff1 likes this.
  13. Junglejeff1

Junglejeff1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Will give him a ring.
    Brewtus likes this.
  14. Junglejeff1

Junglejeff1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Just talked to Mike.He can get me new parts and has new kicker gear and Pawl which he says is most likely wore out.Even has re pop fenders.My estimate is I will have 800$ to 1000 bucks in this bike when finished.He also told me my parts bike is a 93 and don,t sell anything on it.I guess fantic was air cooled till 93 water cooled bikes came out.Also can e mail me pics of part book diagrams if I have assembly issues.
  15. Brewtus

Brewtus Buffoonery, Inc.

Oddometer:
    :thumb
  16. Junglejeff1

Junglejeff1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the tip.
  17. Brewtus

Brewtus Buffoonery, Inc.

Oddometer:

No worries, brother! :beer
  18. lineaway

lineaway Long timer

Oddometer:
    There is a seal for the clutch behind one of the transmission bearings. The diagram should show you which one. I was the first one in the country to replace one as nobody mentioned the '93 took mineral oil.
    Brewtus likes this.
  19. Junglejeff1

Junglejeff1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    So I am guessing 94 is also mineral oil?
  20. Junglejeff1

Junglejeff1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    This is my parts bike.My friend said it is a 89.Then I am told fantic did not watercool till 93.Does this look like your 93 did.It is confusing because there is a site out there called water boilers that I cannot seem to find a link to. But they say from 89 to 99 ish. 20190821_181035.jpg
    Brewtus and Amphib like this.