1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

1994 k Roo build thread

Discussion in 'Trials' started by Junglejeff1, Aug 20, 2019.

1. Junglejeff1

Junglejeff1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    The piston is in awesome shape for the switch. This was the main thing if I was concerned about. These puppies are hard to come by and stupid expensive if you find one(300$).I wanted to look at this before I made a decision on going ahead with this build.This bike will be a cross trainer for me and a fun farm bike and my friends that I ride with will be what the hell is a fantic.It lasted 26 years so after a clean rebuild should last me till I cannot ride any more. 20191214_192833.jpg am surprised by the zero blow by on this old bike.My friend that owned it since 97 has been pretty corrupt on service. 20191214_192833.jpg
  2. motobene

motobene Motoing for 49 years Supporter

Oddometer:
    Nice!

Wow it's striking to see the size of the water jackets on the cylinders of these older bikes. The non-case-reed top ends back then were just huge compared to modern.

I'd not be afraid of the hydraulic clutch, especially given they are superior in feel to cable clutches. Given you'll be in there anyway just make sure the o-rings and such are great. Fluorocarbon (Viton) o-rings instead of buna-N o-rings would be a bit better, but you'd need to know the size to order them. Assuming the slave cylinders uses o-rings... I don't remember what the `96 Section had.
    Junglejeff1 and Brewtus like this.
  3. Junglejeff1

Junglejeff1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Problem is the case is busted on the hydraulic one or I would consider that option.The cable cases are not machined out for the hydraulic set up either.I am going to try to keep this build under 1200 bucks total.So far I have 465$ into the bikes and a new fender.I know what your saying about the cylinder. Thing is fricken huge.
    DyrWolf likes this.
  4. Junglejeff1

Junglejeff1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Mike from the tryles store had a fender for me.It is a early model but the same except for color. Shipping on it was insane(45$). Mike took 20$ off the price because shipping was so high.He has the gasket kit and seals I need also.I found a parts download for the 94 and a 91 which will help me out also.I am going to need a new kicker gear(I finally got it off).Mike says he thinks he has one and will call tomorrow. 20200107_194014.jpg
  5. Junglejeff1

Junglejeff1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Lee Harris who lives in Germany and is a Fantic fanatic is selling this bike.Since my new fender is white I think I will make it simular. Screenshot_20200107-200114_Messenger.jpg
    DyrWolf, Norman Foley and Brewtus like this.
  6. heffergm

heffergm Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I think I want one of those...
    Brewtus and Junglejeff1 like this.
  7. Junglejeff1

Junglejeff1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    The clutch/transmission shaft is the slave cylinder on this bike.Never seen anything like it before. My fingers are hiding the 2nd o ring.One side is dot 4 and the other side is tranny oil.The whole shaft is full of dot 4.Lee harris sold a 94 because it kept loosing the clutch because of this.They may make better o rings today but now a moot point because of the broken case. Screenshot_20200107-201245_Gallery.jpg
  8. Junglejeff1

Junglejeff1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    He is selling it at a reasonable price but shipping would be murder.
  9. 2whlrcr

2whlrcr gooligan

Oddometer:
    Just walk away...:1drink
    DyrWolf, heffergm and Brewtus like this.
  10. Junglejeff1

Junglejeff1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Party pooper
  11. Junglejeff1

Junglejeff1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Are you going to hit this race.They have a trials class which would be a blast.I wanted to till I seen it was a 8 hour drive.I don't mind driving that far for a 2 day trial but to much for a half hour of play. Screenshot_20200107-203108_Facebook.jpg
  12. Brewtus

Brewtus Buffoonery, Inc.

Oddometer:
    Ummm... Wha??? :eek7

:D
    Junglejeff1 likes this.
  13. Junglejeff1

Junglejeff1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I don't think you can drive there Brewtus
  14. 2whlrcr

2whlrcr gooligan

Oddometer:
    No. My wrist is banged up right now from crashing my trials bike a couple of weeks ago. I went several years ago on my KTM and rode practice. Course was ok and managed to get through it decently compared to most, but decided not to come back for the race. It was noisy, smokey and I had a headache and was smelling exhaust fumes for a couple days afterward.

The Iowa Games annual ski race is here in town that day, so I'm staying home to compete.
    Junglejeff1 likes this.
  15. Junglejeff1

Junglejeff1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    20200109_212948.jpg I had a long heavy day and headed to garage tonight to blow some cobwebs out.Old biker friend stopped by and keeled over at the kitchen table.Ended up peeling his tung back with a wooden spoon and giving him CPR to get him going again as he stopped breathing. Wifey totally freaked out but better now.Got his old ass revived and off to hospital. Planned on a good work day but my karma got messed up so headed to garage to mess with Fantic and a bit of bullshine(moonshine and red bull mix).I gave the cases a good cleaning as the crankcase was full of rust,and squirrel stuff from years of being left open on the older bike.They came out pretty nice after a lot of scrubbing in the parts washer.Felt ambitious so played with the older shock as it is a way better unit than the 94 shock.When I released the nitrogen a mouse could have a louder fart.For the heck of it I shot some compressed air in it to test it for air farts by working it.I was surprised that it worked well and smooth. I found a wierd thing out when testing it.When you turn the rebound in(clockwise)it gives less rebound damping.The compression adjuster is normal but the rebound is backwards of all the shocks I have rebuilt.A 98 ktm 200(1st year pos,I mean pds was backwards on compression).The adjusters have a crazy range to them.With the compression turned all the way in I had to put all my 205 lbs into it to move.Turned way out I could push it down with 2 fingers with 120 psi in bladder.Rebound had same effect.As for the snake skin I have a lot of snakes living in my garage lol.Damn things can actually climb up 2x4,s and live in the ceiling. I don't like killing things so as long as they leave me alone I leave them alone.I did have one nail me when I was cleaning parts 2 years ago in the parts washer so killed his ass and took out a shop light swinging a machete at him I use for clearing trails. 20200109_214611.jpg 20200109_222425.jpg
    Amphib, Paul7, DyrWolf and 2 others like this.
  16. Junglejeff1

Junglejeff1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Screenshot_20200109-233920_Gallery.jpg That's a pick of the one that bit me.Damn thing drew some blood.It is my daughter's bike and she was wtf lol.It ended up on the neighbor's lawnmower[ next.ATTACH=full]2076819[/ATTACH]
    Amphib, Paul7 and DyrWolf like this.
  17. motobene

motobene Motoing for 49 years Supporter

Oddometer:
    This is all so extremely entertaining!

Where's the crack in the case? Maybe I missed that.

The hydraulic clutch setup is just... weird.
  18. Junglejeff1

Junglejeff1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Lower right rear motor mount is snapped off.Last night when I posted that I was feeling reeeaaal good lol.Not so good today but fired up the GG and did some balance practice in our strangely 20200110_164325.jpg warm weather.have not drank anything for months and tying into some moonshine was pretty stupid but damn it was a good time.
  19. Ymirtrials

Ymirtrials Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    @Junglejeff1 where do you live? On my phone it doesn’t show any member location. What kind of snake are we talking about? Very entertaining story!
  20. Junglejeff1

Junglejeff1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    My neighbor says they are called a fox snake.They have 2 small teeth and a fake rattle.When they get upset they shake there tail against the ground or whatever they can and sound like a rattlesnake which sort of freaks people out.I thought they were pine snakes but he disagrees with that.I live in the upper peninsula of michigan outside of a town named Daggett. It's a interesting place to live as it is sort of like Humboldt county in California lol.The smell of skunk is strong in this area and peoples light Bill's are in the 1000s
    Amphib likes this.