1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

1994 k Roo build thread

Discussion in 'Trials' started by Junglejeff1, Aug 20, 2019.

1. Ymirtrials

Ymirtrials Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yup I get you on the skunk smell....I moved across the country fifteen years ago or so to live in the mountains and when I met my now wife we worked at a christmas tree farm and I came face to face with the first rattlesnake I'd ever seen with my own eyes! The skunk smell, well that's certainly part of living in the part of British Columbia called the Kootenays...sparsely populated and wonderfully forested landscapes with fantastic skiing....ooops wrong forum...:wink:
  2. motobene

motobene Motoing for 49 years Supporter

Oddometer:
    The only way I can think of to break off a motor mount (aside from being run over by a truck) is a bunch of loose engine mounts then impacting terrain really hard like doing a drop off. A TIG weld repair of the cast aluminum center case by a competent welder would give you a like-new center case. Very strong.

Bead blast, V groove, bolt the broken-off piece to the swing arm pivot bolt tube bridged to both center cases (for exact alignment).

I had to TIG weld the 305's swing arm about 20 years ago. The stock shock was hammering the center aluminum forging hard enough for cracks on both sides. I grooved then weld the cracks and water quenched (trying to keep a T4 condition), then I welded a 1/4" 6061 plate with a U cutout to clear the lower shock eye onto the forged piece as a strengthener and again water quenched. Been going crack free two decades.

Not the best pic. You can just see the top of the welded plate. The brake line is on the left because that's where my lever is.
    IMG_20200111_131137.jpg
    Paul7, Brewtus and Junglejeff1 like this.
  3. Junglejeff1

Junglejeff1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Every engine mount bolt was loose when I got it and one missing. My friend is horrible about keeping his bikes up.I was wondering if the cases were magnesium or aluminum. I have a nice tig and a friend that is a tig welder and might see what he can do with it.I let him weld the aluminum as he does it every day.I can make things work but he can stack dimes with his eyes closed.
    DyrWolf, Norman Foley and Brewtus like this.
  4. Junglejeff1

Junglejeff1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    20200111_220839.jpg 20200111_220429.jpg Wifey is on a phone kick tonight calling old friends.Good time to sneak away and fired off loud turbine heater in garage.Cranked up some tunes and harvested a crank shaft out of 94 cases.Even through the mains are tight going to replace.Will send all balls the code and get some new ones.At this point I should do the old girl up right so I don't regret it down the line.I shot mike a e mail and he is gathering parts for me.He has full gasket and seal kit he thinks.I really hope it has the water pump shaft seal in that kit.The water pump has a cross shaft on left side that is run off clutch to right side were pump is.Italians sure like to complicate things.There are some real nice features to this engine. The crank case has real nice finning on it on the bottom. For those that don't know having a hot crank case loses power.A cooler crank case on a 2t helps make power.It helps keep air density lower(more oxygen).I learned this in the 90,s and would warm my bike up only enough to run clean and shut it off at the gate.Between gate practice and these tech tips I was always top 3 out the gate.Anyway I wish my yz,s were finned like this motor is.I am going to map the porting in this bike and compare it to the ty250 I did last winter.Just want to see what the difference is for shits and giggles. I am told the kroos are strong motors and want to give the ty more pop off the bottom.
    Brewtus and mrsdnf like this.
  5. Junglejeff1

Junglejeff1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Gutted the Marzocchi shock tonight. Main reason was the rubber bumper disintegrated but will rebuild the seal head with kyb or showa parts.I searched but cannot find Marzocchi shock parts.Thing was a bastard to break free with the threaded seal head. 20200113_215030.jpg
    DyrWolf, tomatoe333 and Brewtus like this.
  6. Junglejeff1

Junglejeff1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    20200119_151853.jpg 20200119_152759.jpg 20200119_164857.jpg Went out to garage today to play with kroo. Tore it completely down for the big makeover. Trying to save parts to save money and took some lacquer thinner and scotch brite to front fender.Damn almost like a custom paint job when I stripped it lol.Had no idea it was blue before but will work with my custom graphics.
  7. Junglejeff1

Junglejeff1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I cleaned up the swingarm today also.Polished it up a bit to see if it would take much shine.Looking pretty good and going all harley on this thing.Will powdercoat it clear and do the cast parts of arm gloss black I think.The restoration guys will hate me for what I do to this bike lol.If anyone is needing info on bike I have a parts download on a 94 and a 91 I can send you if you pm me a E-mail.No torque specs but real handy to have. 20200119_213414.jpg 20200119_213956.jpg 20200119_164857.jpg
    DyrWolf and Brewtus like this.
  8. Junglejeff1

Junglejeff1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I pulled the forks apart mainly to find out the seal size.have to like that nice metallic oil that came out.Internals 20200119_192726.jpg were in great shape but guessing that might be original oil.Wierd thing was it started to turn green later on in night.
  9. Junglejeff1

Junglejeff1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Parts started coming in today. Out of 3 fans I have all are bad.Ordered this spal pusher fan for a replacement.If you ever replace a fan they make pusher and puller type depending what side of radiator they are on.Will have new main bearings I ordered off Amazon this week and guessing the gasket and seal kit from Mike will be here. 20200122_111732.jpg
  10. Junglejeff1

Junglejeff1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Screenshot_20200121-203253_Drive.jpg Screenshot_20200121-163418_Google.jpg If anyone is feeling artistic and likes playing with graphics programs I am looking for ideas for graphics.Thinking something brite.Always liked the colors on this cap aerobatic plane.I lost my best friend to a snowmobile accident years ago and our main hobby was rc airplanes.I sold about 15 of his planes for his wife(we had that deal if either of us kicked the bucket).I packed some of his ashes into the rc version of this same plane and flew them off in to the wilderness.
  11. Junglejeff1

Junglejeff1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Worked all weekend and today but went and messed with Stanley steamer tonite just a bit.not much but did some transfer port matching to the cases as it was pretty ugly.I don't know if it will help anything but it sure will not hurt anything. Next session will be putting motor back together. 20200203_202615.jpg
  12. Junglejeff1

Junglejeff1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Put part of lower end together today.Water pump seal was a total bitch to dig out.Took some dicking around to get the kick shaft set up but used other motor to see were to index the shaft with the spring. Crank was a bit tight(after assembly)but put some heat on the bearing bosses and smacked case with a rubber mallet and bearings settled nicely. Tranny shifts fine and all coming together nicely. 20200206_004043.jpg
  13. Junglejeff1

Junglejeff1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Stop at O riley for spray bombs.I have to try to make this thing half as nice as Hosses GG now.He upped the bar on me. 20200207_204452.jpg
  14. Junglejeff1

Junglejeff1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    20200207_220939.jpg 20200207_220914.jpg Hoping my 2k clear urethane works over VHT paint. Really used to piss me off when a carb leak destroys the case paint so I give them a coat of 2k off amazon.Makes them bullet proof.My old ty I powder coated (only the cases)but that was a pita.Plus powder coat holds in enormous heat compared to paint.This VHT dries real quick which sort of scares me.I sprayed my dust pan to use for a test panel before I hit the case with 2k
    Brewtus likes this.
  15. Junglejeff1

Junglejeff1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    20200207_231627.jpg Going to be a red head.Always liked them even though there usually sorta nuts..I use this old shop seat my 1st bike wife that divorced me in 91 to spin my parts.Works well as she was a pretty 110 lb italian gal.
    Hoss Cartright and Brewtus like this.
  16. Junglejeff1

Junglejeff1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Doing the power drying thing with my garage pro pane heater.Wife is away till monday babie sitting grand kids 20200207_235204.jpg so just out enjoying myself. Working on frame now and hoping to paint and 2k clear before I call it quits tonight. My garage is only 20x20 so gets pretty tite in here.
  17. Junglejeff1

Junglejeff1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    20200208_005533.jpg Damn this is looking good.After doing the wd 40 scrub wiped it down 3 times with lacquer thinner (stock paint is enamel)gives my enamel some bite to dig in..Damn if my wife would babysit more I could really get stuff done.
    Hoss Cartright and Brewtus like this.
  18. PSchrauber

PSchrauber Long timer

Oddometer:
    Summer: Kemiƶ, Finland; Winter: North Germany
    Sadly I'am too late I think, my personal advise that alway is proved to be right.

- please don't overdo the paint new design thingy,
    - best is to stick with what you have and yes
    leave the patina what does not mean leave
    incorrect coloration, rust and corrosion,
    - instead put time and effort into a good technical rebuild.

After cleaning all part and eliminating rust, wrong paint and rebuild the technical issues put it loose together and have a look, it is the best looking bike you had so far, believe me.

Now you are creating something new to your own taste with today background to a design if the early to mid 90's this is not easily done and needs skills in form and color design, then you will have parts looking like new and others not (like the bolts, nuts and washers).

You will get now something that is in between something and difficult to sell later and too will not rise in worth of money, only original bikes will.

Anyway good luck with your resto mod and think about the overall design very carefully.
    Junglejeff1 likes this.
  19. Brewtus

Brewtus Buffoonery, Inc.

Oddometer:
    Lofty goal. When (if) I get back to the Cota 25/MR 50 hybrid, I was gonna make it nice also. Too many other squirrels chirping for attention around here lately.

Just gotta keep up with the Hello Kitty, eh? I can't find a HK handlebar pad anywhere.... :(:
    Junglejeff1 and Norman Foley like this.
  20. Norman Foley

Norman Foley Devotee of the Husqvarna Supporter

Oddometer:
    You're just going to have to buy the whole damn bike to get it! :D
    [​IMG]
    Junglejeff1, jonnyc21 and Brewtus like this.