Separate names with a comma.
Discussion in 'Trials' started by Junglejeff1, Aug 20, 2019.
well.... that was appropriate. "Testa Rosa"
I stole mine off grand daughters bicycle when she out grew it.
I wanted to go original but I could only get a white fender(original was red).At that point I figured I would change it up.I am definitely not worried about resale on a kroo as they really are not worth much.I am going all out on the technical and bike will work like new when completed. Even though the mains were good I put new ones in along with seals and such.The suspension and brakes will also be completely gone through. Using the cable clutch cases pretty much killed being original. I totally agree that it was a very nice looking bike stock but lack of a red fender killed that idea.I am going to make it somewhat like this older air cooled fantic. So far I have about 650$ into it including the purchase. Looks like it will be around 1200$ when she is ready to roll with new rubber on it.The most expensive part was the fender which cost over half as much as both bikes.
Jug looks pretty cool.
It seems like they put a lot of thought into these bikes.The swingarm spindle is aluminum with a steel nut on one end with a roll pin locking it on.The fancy head washers with built in seal are pretty cool.Most jap bikes I do just use copper washers.
I spent a bit of time on the bike.I had a snowblower vs my S8 cell phone accident with all my tear down pics which will slow this build down a bit.Before a finished the shock I had to slide the subframe on and set the motor sort of in place to properly set the hose position from the shock to the nitrogen res.The res is mounted at the right side of engine cylinder on the older bike it came off.I cleaned up the case covers that were really narfed up and gave them a repaint. I got all fancy and scraped the paint of the high points to make it look better.I ordered a brass extention valve for the shock res as the one that's on there will not let my zero loss fitting for shocks to screw down and seal for recharging with nitrogen.If anyone has recommendation on how many psi to put in there let me know.My mx shocks are 160 to 200 but thinking a trials bike may not need that much.
This place has some real cool high quality stickers. They have a lot of old school stuff which is cool.They have a racing sticker that is almost a exact duplicate of the originals on the fender.I ordered it in black because I have a white fender.I am pretty much sticking with the original graphics as much as I can.My step daughter has a printer for doing stickers and she is going to try to replicate the radiator shroud decals for me.
Cool Montesa stuff. Thanks
Ordered a couple of these from ISDD.
Your 'Roo is looking good, @Junglejeff1!!
my 1st order to see if they were quality.
Well.... That is a cool website! That link sucked me down the rabbit-hole for a couple of hours at 06:30 this morning....
Pretty amazing how deep that site goes.Took me a bottle of moonshine to see everything. Dropped a whopping 40 bucks on stickers last order.
New order came in today.
Got a kick out of this.The base gasket in the kit I got was cut by hand. All the other gaskets are machine cut except for this.Had to trim it a bit to work.
I put the discs of the older bike on the 94.Wierd that the older disc,s were rust free.Bikes were stored next to each other so guessing they changed what they were made of.
Put the top end on tonite.Interesting that the key roo uses the same reeds as my 74 ty250.I rebuilt the forks with seals and bushings I matched up from racetech.They have some bushings that may work for tech forks also.I need to rebuild the forks on my 2015 GG and will find out as the cost of them is insane and they are low quality from tech.I have had 2 sets that the teflon stripped off of the bushing that presses into the lower fork now.I would like to thank Jim Snell for the proper oil capacity a fork oil weight to rebuild these forks.GG used the same forks for a time and of course he had the info for them.This has been a fun build so far and the hardest stuff is behind me I think.Next will be rebuilding the brake system. So far have about 950$ into this build.
Installed seal caseing,crank seal,secondary flywheel and clutch tonight .Went through all the plates from 2 bikes tonight with a caliper and picked out the best plates.Just have to 2k the side cases and button it all up.
I did a lot of painting to in my quarantine garage today.Have to stripe the tank and apply cool sticker then will 2k everything. Going to be a sharp looking bike when done.Ordered some 065 red pads for my rebuilt brake calipers from Jacks cycle yesterday. Parts wise I only need tires and possibly a carb rebuild kit.I am hoping the twin puck ajp calipers work well.Mike at Jacks cycle told me a lot of old bikes use them but being a trials newbie have no idea how well they work.I did find that my rear master is a 11 mm piston which is rare as most use a a smaller piston.If it works well will order a replacement rebuild kit from ajp usa while they still stock them for future use if it blows a seal.
tapped a bunch of threads out today to clear any paint and have most of the motor finished.
Wife got mad at me because I shut down visiting her son.He is a high risk factor because of daughter coming up from covid high area every weekend so playing it safe.Figured it would be a good garage night lol.Went thrue front brakes which were full of Nasty contaminated brake fluid. At end of night pulled float bowl off carb to see damage and was surprised to see it was mint. I heard these carbs had issues with slide getting sloppy but this carb is tight.Fun project and learning a few things as I go.I have issues getting stickers mare up for radiator shrouds so hit Amazon for frisket paper.Will do the the graphics on the shrouds the old fashion way.