1995 Triumph Sprint 900

Discussion in 'Some Assembly Required' started by Tytan, Oct 31, 2018.

1. Tytan

Tytan Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Well winter is here and I don't need another project so why do I cruise Craigslist regularly ?

Last year I did this https://advrider.com/f/threads/another-red-ascot-1983-vt500-restoration.1276515/ and this year I had no plans until a Craigslist ad for the Triumph grabbed my attention. One of my previous bikes was a 1998 Triumph Tiger with the same 885cc carb'd triple so I was familiar with the idiosyncracies of this vintage of Triumphs and enjoyed the triple in the Tiger. Most of the projects on Craigslist are too hacked up, not a desirable bike, are priced ridiculously or all three this one was listed at a reasonable price so I went to have a look see. I was told it needed a sprag clutch and the right side upper fairing is damaged the bike was buried in a corner of the garage, had not run in about 4 years and was partially disassembled. From what I could see it was in decent shape, stored indoors, all the major parts were accounted for and no issues with the DMV paperwork so I figured I would low ball the offer and if it was rejected I would walk away, he accepted and I loaded everything up for $500 cdn.

In my juristiction 25 year old bikes in good condition are eligible for collector plates which reduce the insurance costs significantly so in 2020 I'm good to go. 15 year old bikes are also eligible if the production run worldwide is 1500 or less so I emailed Triumph and got a response within 24 hrs, 1585 1995 Sprint 900's were produced worldwide. I called the collector dept with some questions and mentioned the production numbers and the guy says "I like to be reasonable and use common sense I would not deny your application because of an extra 85 units" I almost fell of my chair a gov't employee saying stuff like that !

On to the pics.

This is what it's supposed to look like.

Sprint 900.jpg
    This is what came home in the trailer.

IMG_0168 Resize.jpg IMG_0169 Resize.jpg

This is after putting some tupperware on to see how it looks.

IMG_0175 Resize.jpg

Next step is to get everything cleaned up then start on the sprag clutch repair.
    mjs3800, Pezz_gs, r60man and 2 others like this.
  2. Tytan

Tytan Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I got the bike pressure washed then put the plastics on to see what I'm missing and what it looks like. I got a jumper battery and powered it up everything works except the rear brake light switch and it cranks over but the sprag makes a racket. I'm debating on whether to get it running for a few minutes or go straight to the sprag replacement.

I like the looks of the bike I have always had a soft spot for dual headlight bikes, this vintage of Triumphs, the older Suzuki GSXR's, early Africa Twins and the newer models, Africa Twin, Super Tenere and Stelvio come to mind.

Pic 1.jpg
    bk brkr baker and zzzak like this.
  3. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Very nice! I like the look of this bike! :thumb
  4. anonny

anonny What could go wrong?

Oddometer:
    Can’t you lube the sprag enough to get it running once? Looks great... especially for $500!
  5. Mercury264

Mercury264 Once you go Triple...

Oddometer:
    Buddy has an old Sprint or as we call it, Top Heavy Lovely... Looking forward to this.
  6. DiggerD

DiggerD DougFir from SuperDuke Days

Oddometer:
    Had me a '99 Tiger.

Very solid bike.

Loved the electric smooth IL3 engine.

A bud also had one.

He was going up a mountain pass and thought to himself, "Well where the beans to this engine", then he looked at the speedo set at 90mph, much faster than he thought he was going. Oh!
  7. Blakebird

Blakebird r-u-n-n-o-f-t

Oddometer:
    I was a "Pioneer Customer" in 1995 when I bought my Fireball Orange Speed Triple - I loved the modular T3 Triumphs, they got a good variety of models from that platform.

Those early Sprints reminded me of the Yamaha TDM850, I like a dual headlight fairing if it's done right.
  8. brgsprint

brgsprint Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I haven't heard "Pioneer Customer" used in a few years. Do you have the pin?

My '95 Sprint was green (BRG). It carried me over 100,000 miles.

I don't know what the rear section is from on the first picture of "what it's supposed to look like". It looks like a Trophy tail. Yours has a much better look.

You got a good deal. I'll be watching.
  9. Blakebird

Blakebird r-u-n-n-o-f-t

Oddometer:
    probably in a drawer somewhere. :D
  10. Beezer

Beezer Long timer

Oddometer:
    Anchorage, formerly Spenard (hub of the universe)
    No... can't "lube the sprag"... that was a problem on the early ones.

I had a '96 Tiger for a while. nice bike, I liked it. my ride buddy just bought one (Tiger) a month ago. $500, partly disassembled for paint & left alone for a few years. we put the carbs back on & fired it up. smoked like a bastard for 20 minutes & now runs pretty dam good. needs a bit of help, but can ride as is
  11. Fubars

Fubars What would Scoobydo?

Oddometer:
    Cool bike. Hope your sprag repair goes well.
  12. Tytan

Tytan Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Not a lot of progress over the last week.

Dropped the gas tank off to get the rust removed and have it sealed, started sourcing a few small misc pieces that are either missing or damaged, ordered some LED bulbs for the gauges and display back lighting and ordered some rebuild kits for the carbs. The air box has a K&N filter so that will get a clean and re oiled I'm not a fan of the K&N but since it's there I might as well use it. The carbs are getting a pine sol bath while waiting for the rebuild kits. I have to mention Derek at Motolab https://advrider.com/f/threads/bst40-carb-parts.528038/ he had the correct parts for the carbs and spent 30 mins on the phone with me explaining what to check for wear and how this may affect tuning and performance this guy knows his carbs inside out and backwards. I did email another on line carb parts supplier with questions and got an email back with vague partial answers which made ordering from Motolab an easy decision.

Carbs Resize.jpg Carb Bath.jpg
    villageidiot likes this.
  13. motolab

motolab Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thank you so much for the kind words!

Regards,

Derek
    villageidiot likes this.
  14. Tytan

Tytan Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Bled the hydraulic clutch and brakes then cleaned up all the caliper pistons I like to push them out about 3/8" to 1/2" clean all road grime off and apply a very thin coating of synthetic brake grease. All the slide pins were cleaned and a light coated of brake grease applied I will need a full set of front pads soon there's enough on there for a test ride the rear pads are new. I also cleaned up the gauges and installed new LED bulbs for the back lighting and idiot lights I went with the correct colour for the idiot lights, green for indicators and neutral, red for oil pressure and blue for high beam, and green for the back lighting the only bulb not replaced is the low fuel as an LED will not work in this circuit. After powering it up everything worked even the rear brake light switch came back to life.

IMG_0190 Resize.jpg IMG_0189 Resize.jpg IMG_0200 Resize.jpg
  15. kuchibashi

kuchibashi Plumbing police Supporter

Oddometer:
    Looking forward to seeing the final outcome. I too was a pioneer customer in '95. I bought a T-bird demo, rode it for 17,000 miles in one season, then traded it in for a '95 trophy III which I had until 2004. I still have the pin, but in 11 moves, I lost the letter that came with it.
  16. Tytan

Tytan Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Not a lot going on this week ordered some more parts, rebuilt the carbs and got it running on the bench for a few minutes yes the sprag makes a racket so that's next. When I dropped the gas tank off for rust removal and lining the old lining was starting to peel I'm not sure if it was lined from the factory or someone had done it previously, either way, it needed a chemical dip to remove the old liner so the tank came back beautiful on the inside and primer gray on the outside as the paint was removed during the treatment process so the bike will be repainted British Racing Green.

When I needed a cylinder head for the 98 Tiger I found National Triumph in Wolverhampton England to be a great resource for used Triumph parts I just ordered some misc pieces that were either missing or damaged the best news was a replacement right side fairing for a very good price much cheaper than fixing the one I have.

A nice package of carb goodies from Motolab full rebuild kits, new main and pilot jets.

IMG_0211 Resize.jpg

Since a fully charged and good battery helps the sprag clutch last I will replace the main ground cable and starter positive cables using homemade #6 welding cable, crimped ends and heat shrink.

IMG_0204 Resize.jpg IMG_0203 Resize.jpg

Size comparison of old vs new cables.

IMG_0209 Resize.jpg
    Beezer, Jetpilot5 and JimVonBaden like this.
  17. c1skout

c1skout Long timer

Oddometer:
    I vote "leave it Blue". Seems every one I see is green.
    Nice upgrade on the cabling. Where did you get those heavy end lugs? When I upgraded the cables on my Sportster I wasn't crazy about the ends I could find locally, they were stouter than the factory jobs though.

carry on.
  18. Tytan

Tytan Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    These are the cable lugs I got them from the local electrical wholesaler.

http://www.tnb.com/ps/fulltilt/index.cgi?part=54105&co=US

Very little chance or running into another one, this vintage of Triumph is rare around these parts I have seen maybe one Tiger and a couple of Thunderbirds I didn't even know about the Sprint model until this one came up for sale. BRG is such a classic British colour, I like the combination of the green with the cream decals and it was a factory colour for this year and this model.
  19. motolab

motolab Long timer

Oddometer:
    Very nice!

Regards,

Derek