1995 Triumph Sprint 900

Discussion in 'Some Assembly Required' started by Tytan, Oct 31, 2018.

1. Tytan

Tytan Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Fairing mount came back from powder coating so the front fairing and gauges got assembled and wired so the bike is ready for the next decent weather day so I can do a road test.

IMG_0293 Resize.jpg

One of the horns was not working so I bought a Hella two horn kit off EBay and changed the dash bulbs to blue since I have decided to keep the original Nightshade colour instead of British Racing Green the side panels, grab handles and panniers are in decent shape so I will save a few bucks not having to get these painted. The fairing and tank will go for paint in the new year.

IMG_0294 Resize.jpg

IMG_0295 Resize.jpg

Also got the carbs sync'd.

IMG_0297 Resize.jpg
    Jetpilot5, St_rydr and invisa-bill like this.
  2. Jetpilot5

Jetpilot5 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I think this was an excellent decision. I came so close to buying this bike on several occasions. Nice to see you bring one back.
  3. Rick4003

Rick4003 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I second this, I think the blue is really nice. And British Racing Green is a bit boring if you ask me. It is the same as painting anything Italian red. Blue is better
  4. Tytan

Tytan Been here awhile

Oddometer:

There were a few things that changed my mind:

- Only having to paint the tank and fairing since the rest of the body work and panniers are in decent shape lets call it patina definitely not perfect but not trashed.
    - The Corbin seat has blue piping so that would have to be changed.
    - The blue has grown on me I like it and there's not a lot of the Nightshade blue around they seem to be either BRG or red the earlier ones were Caspian Blue which is lighter.
    - The British Racing Green with the gray frame and engine cases is not the greatest colour combination if the cases and frame were black it would look better but I'm not changing the frame colour.
  5. Tytan

Tytan Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    We had a nasty wind storm last night that left areas without power one area being where my office is so no work today and it turned out to be a decent day so I bought temporary insurance and gave the Sprint a 40 mile shakedown run. I was pleasantly surprised the bike ran great handling feels a bit heavier than I'm used to which is probably an unfamiliar bike and me taking it easy on old tires in cold weather, pulls nicely to redline so carb rebuilds are good, brakes felt good, and suspension felt decent for a 24 year old bike the only minor problem was a slight leak from the fuel petcock which is probably my fault for using the old gaskets as I'm keeping the new ones for use after the tank is painted. I'm waiting for one more front fairing decal then parts will go for paint in the new year. Pic taken at my friends place.

IMG_0301 Resize.jpg
  6. c1skout

c1skout Long timer

Oddometer:
    Atta-boy! Glad it's working out.
  7. Tytan

Tytan Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Got a fresh set of Continental Road Attack 3s mounted and balanced 120/70 17' front and 180/55 17' rear. The water pump has a very small leak from the seam where the two halves mate so a new O ring has been ordered, painter should be finished with the tank and fairing next week then final assembly.

IMG_0328 Resize.jpg
    IMG_0327 Resize.jpg
  8. c1skout

c1skout Long timer

Oddometer:
    Good lookin skins, have you run them before?
  9. Tytan

Tytan Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    No experience with these yet.

I have not bought performance type street tires for almost 25 years so wading through the sport, sport touring, and cruiser type tires was a little overwhelming. Continental Road Attack 3's, Michelin Pilot Road 5's, Michelin Power RS and Avon Spirit ST were on the short list the Continentals seemed to get consistently good reviews and the price was decent.
  10. Highliner

Highliner Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Where did you buy the dash lights, what kind of bulbs? I need this upgrade on my tiger.
  11. Tytan

Tytan Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    What year is your Tiger ? If it's a Steamer the part numbers below will work as it's the same dash as the Sprint.

The leds were ordered from www.superbrightleds.com

These are the part numbers I ordered and used for the green back lighting.

4 of 74-GHP: Green colour, 10 lumen. Left and right indicators, neutral indicator and one small bulb for the gauge back light.
    https://www.superbrightleds.com/mor...md-led-miniature-wedge-retrofit-car/227/1064/

1 of 74-BHP: Blue colour, 10 lumen. High beam indicator.
    https://www.superbrightleds.com/mor...md-led-miniature-wedge-retrofit-car/227/1063/

1 of 74-RHP: Red colour, 10 lumen. Oil pressure indicator.
    https://www.superbrightleds.com/mor...md-led-miniature-wedge-retrofit-car/227/1065/

4 of WLED-G4-90: Green colour, 90 deg beam spread, 15 lumen. Large bulbs for the gauge back lights.
    https://www.superbrightleds.com/mor...b-4-led-miniature-wedge-retrofit-car/198/868/

1 of T1.5-GHP: Green colour, PC-74 high power instrument panel LED. Clock back light, this one takes a little fiddling around to fit the circuit board in the back of the clock.
    https://www.superbrightleds.com/mor...bulb-high-power-instrument-panel-led/709/975/
  12. Highliner

Highliner Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Thank you for taking the time to provide all the pn’s, I really appreciate it. Seems like I could only find part numbers that correlated with posts from the guys on the other side of the pond on tigertriples etc. My Tiger is a 2005 I’ll pull a bulb or two and double check with superbrite.

Really like the fact you are staying with blue paint, and glad you are sharing the re-fresh with us here.
    villageidiot likes this.
  13. Tytan

Tytan Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Painter sent me this pic earlier today, getting close :wings

IMG_0343.JPG
  14. Tytan

Tytan Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Gas tank prepped and ready for install.

IMG_0349 Resize.jpg
    IMG_0350 Resize.jpg
    IMG_0351 Resize.jpg
  15. Tytan

Tytan Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Got the fairing mounted it's safer on the bike than on the floor and it's a lot easier with the gauges and tank out of the way so I can get to the fairing mounts and fasteners. I'll carry on with gauges, dash and tank tomorrow, the paint turned out really nice beautiful shine.

IMG_0353 Resize.jpg
    IMG_0354 Resize.jpg
    Jetpilot5, DRZ RIDER, OHjim and 2 others like this.
  16. r60man

r60man Long timer

Oddometer:
    Looks fantastic. Way to go!
  17. Jetpilot5

Jetpilot5 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That bike looks great!
  18. Eddy Alvarez

Eddy Alvarez Motorcycle ADD Supporter

Oddometer:
    :thumb Awesome! That's a classic. My buddy owns the Triumph shop in Norfolk, VA and I recall drooling over these when I was a broke grad school student.

Looks super nice! Keeping it blue was a good decision.

Is it a keeper or a flip?
  19. clarkebd

clarkebd Custom Title Goes Here

Oddometer:
    Looks great! I wish you were my neighbor so I could learn. I'm struggling thru a 'cleanup'/'fixup' of a 2002 SuperHawk 996. Always wanted one when I couldn't afford one, now I found one cheap and local and thought why not.
  20. Tytan

Tytan Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm glad you guys talked me into keeping the blue it really pops in the daylight.

This one is a keeper for now if it was a flip I'd probably loose money considering what I have into it so far.