1995 Triumph Sprint 900

Discussion in 'Some Assembly Required' started by Tytan, Oct 31, 2018.

1. Tytan

Tytan Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Almost done, the front screen is dull and scratched I tried some plastic headlight polish that helped a little MRA make a stock screen so I'll probably order a replacement.

Started like this:

IMG_0168 Resize.jpg IMG_0169 Resize.jpg

And ended up with this:

IMG_0367 Resize.jpg
    IMG_0366 Resize.jpg
    yamty175, Pezz_gs, Scoozi and 5 others like this.
  2. Tytan

Tytan Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    More pics.

IMG_0364 Resize.jpg

IMG_0368 Resize.jpg

IMG_0369 Resize.jpg
    bowyer2002, spdtrpl, Pezz_gs and 13 others like this.
  3. Jetpilot5

Jetpilot5 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Great job. Beautiful!
  4. OHjim

OHjim Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    So, have you ridden it yet? If so, how do you like it?
  5. joenuclear

joenuclear Still here....

Oddometer:
    It looks Great!
  6. bikemoto

bikemoto Tyre critic

Oddometer:
    Great stuff!
  7. villageidiot

villageidiot Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Very nice!
  8. brgsprint

brgsprint Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Taking me back 20 years.

Very nice!
  9. Eddy Alvarez

Eddy Alvarez Motorcycle ADD Supporter

Oddometer:
    Awesome! Looks new! May I ask what ballpark figure a restoration like this might cost?
    P.S. I read your garage and Ascot restorations as well and love the organization, neatness and attention to detail of your work.
    I wouldn't hesitate to buy a bike from you. Excellent work. :thumb
  10. Tytan

Tytan Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Not a lot of seat time yet, see post 45. I should be able to get collector plates so now I need to take some pictures that detail the bikes condition and send these in with the application form then I can get the cheaper insurance.
  11. Tytan

Tytan Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Thanks for the compliments. I would rather spend time in the garage during winter evenings vs watching TV so these projects give me something to do, not just working on the bikes but also sourcing the parts, learning about the different bikes and sometimes different repair procedures.
  12. Tytan

Tytan Been here awhile

Oddometer:

The Triumph was not a full on concours type restoration it looks great from 5ft, closer and it shows some patina mainly the engine cases could do with refinishing. I'm going to keep this as a sport touring bike and I didn't want it to be museum quality I don't want to be worried about getting caught in the rain or getting it too dirty I'll ride it and add to the patina.

I didn't keep track of expenses I would guess around $3,000 to $3,500 cdn including the purchase price the biggest expense being paint at just over $1,000. I mentioned in the first post that I low balled the seller and the reason was the bike was in pieces, as shown in the pics with all the boxes loaded in the trailer, when buying like this you have no idea what could be missing and from past experience the small stuff adds up quickly. A few examples with this project, the right side dash was broken and the part is no longer available from Triumph so now it's off to Ebay and used parts places to source one, another was the mounting hardware for the fairing and rear tail section by the time I had sourced all the correct screws, collars, washers and rubber bushings through either Triumph or aftermarket it was over $100. The one large unexpected expense was getting the old gas tank liner removed and the tank re coated which then meant I had to get the tank repainted since the liner process stripped the paint.
  13. Wire-Wheels

Wire-Wheels n00b

Oddometer:
    Reading your thread with interest. I still have my 900 Sprint. We have been together since 2002 when I bought it from the original owner. It has 28k on the clock. Had it's sprag clutch and alternator bolt repaired in 2013 by the local dealer. Hope to see another one survive. They are a unique bike. ...J.D.
    layzrider likes this.