1996 Triumph Speed Triple project

Discussion in 'Some Assembly Required' started by JHG67, Jun 28, 2019.

1. JHG67

JHG67 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I love good resurrection thread, So here it is my latest project as the title says 1996 Triumph Speed Triple.

I picked this beast up a couple of days ago without much of a plan of what to do with it.
    Having had three previous speed triples, a '99, '03 and currently a '97 t509. (not to mention 11 previous Hinckley Triumphs, non newer that 2003)
    I've never had a first gen speedy but have always admired the muscular look of them.

This one popped up on CL IT was local and best of all, it was cheap, so I went to have a look.
    Turns out the owner was a family friend from the past. Long story short, we struck a deal and I picked her up the next day.

She had been sitting for a while, was in pretty rough shape and wouldn't run.
    Call me crazy but I have a real soft spot for these early Hinckley Triumphs.

"What are you going to do with that!?" Was my wife's reaction upon seeing it.
    Good question.
    Now that I've got her home and running, here is what I'm planning:

She isn't really worth a whole lot with a rebuilt salvage title, but she runs and rides so good that it would be shame to part her out, so the plan is to build a speed triple challenge replica.

As I make a list of what needs done, I can see that there is allot of work ahead and it may take a while, but I'm really going to have fun with this one!!
    Stay tuned......

20190626_185732.jpg loaded up and heading home.

20190626_201752.jpg immediately removed the bags, windshield and re-installed the tail section.
    20190626_201807.jpg the better side of things.
    20190626_194952.jpg 20190626_194940.jpg 20190626_194920.jpg some of the more interesting mods!!

STC-Gallery-Ex-Sandra-Barnet-Bike-1995-Speed-Triple-Challenge-1.jpg.cf.jpg this is what I'm going for, only for the street!!!

Attached Files:

2. Tytan

Tytan Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Nice find I'll be following I really like the early Hinckley Triumphs.
    JHG67 likes this.
  3. JHG67

JHG67 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Actually Tytan, your thread on the resurrection of the Sprint inspired me!!
    That said, I'm sure mine probably won't end up anywhere near as nice as yours did (your attention to detail was astounding!!)

My plan is to go for that ex-race bike converted back to street use vibe, with the sponsor stickers, slightly rough race body work and safety wired bits.
    I might even drip some oil on the exhaust and run some race gas in it from time to time just to add some smells to the look!!

Haha, maybe it will start a new fad...."racey-rough" or something like that.... ;)

We'll see
  4. Roofchop

Roofchop Hands up mother stickers, this is a f**k up!

Oddometer:
    The tacho has a Taco Bell case! :D
    Dunno about the Fosters fork protector...:confused
    JHG67 likes this.
  5. MATTY

MATTY BORDER RAIDER

Oddometer:
    Nice find look forward to watching it develop, and i like the race vibe/ Challenge bike idea. I like the old hinkley triumphs and have a 96 Trophy 900 i am putting together right now, "bare bones minimalist single seat racer" .
    JHG67 likes this.
  6. Wildebeest90210

Wildebeest90210 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
  7. MATTY

MATTY BORDER RAIDER

Oddometer:
  8. JHG67

JHG67 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That CRK kit looks great!!
    But $1400USD+shipping from the Uk for the base kit!! :photog

While I do love the cafe racer look, everyone is doing that so, I'd like to go for a little something different.
    Maybe too different, as i don't think many here in the states ever heard of the Speed Triple Challenge.

Right now the plan is to utilize the stock tank, front fender and seat, but use this race tail section trid4_2.JPG.jpg
    This should give me the look that I'm after.

To be true to the race bikes I should use clip-ons but I'm not sure my old back and wrists would take the riding position for long, so I may end up using a set of superbike bars.

STC-Gallery-Ex-Sandra-Barnet-Bike-1995-Speed-Triple-Challenge-2.jpg.cf.jpg
    Still in the disassembly and clean up mode with the old banger as of today, this thing is filthy, it had a chain oiler on it so lots of grungy goo everywhere!!

20190629_202224.jpg 20190629_202507.jpg

As a bonus, It does have a 3-1 Triumph/Sebring pipe that should clean up nicely.
    20190629_202446.jpg
    20190629_202607.jpg

Moving slowly......

Attached Files:

MATTY, Tytan and brgsprint like this.
  9. Tytan

Tytan Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Are you going to dive down the pod filter rabbit hole or keep the factory air box ? If you have a good factory air box and want to keep it I have an extra K&N filter you can have cheap.
  10. JHG67

JHG67 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Tytan thanks for the offer on the K&N, I may just take you up on that.
    I do plan on keeping the stock airbox as I know jetting for the pod filters can be a PITA and it just runs so good the way it is.
    All I really need to do is sync the carbs and she'll be golden (running wise)
  11. JHG67

JHG67 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This is as far as i got this weekend.

20190630_165413.jpg

20190630_165501.jpg 20190630_165435.jpg
    Removed the funky handlebars and risers/ set backs and gave her a good scrubbing. I must have used a gallon of purple clean and she still has some grunge hiding. Good enough for now at least.

Probably won't be much action this week as I'm preparing for Vintage motorcycle days at Mid-Ohio.
  12. Jetpilot5

Jetpilot5 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It’s amazing what a difference a good scrubbing makes. That combined with the fact that it already runs well makes it appear that you’re off to a great start. Ive never owned a Triumph but was a big fan of the first generation bikes. I’ll be watching your progress.
    Scoozi and JHG67 like this.
  13. VX Rider

VX Rider Long timer

Oddometer:
    If you really want that grunge off...switch your cleaner to DAWN PLATINUM that stuff really destroys grease and oil or

Dawn Professional Ultra Heavy Duty Degreaser - I haven't had a chance to use this one because the regular one works so well.
  14. JHG67

JHG67 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'll have to give that stuff a try. The purple clean, whilst working great on the grease and grime, can sometimes not agree with alloy parts. Thanks for the tip.
  15. oranges3

oranges3 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have a 1995 speed triple...
    Updated with keihin carbs and pod filters.
    Replaced the sprag clutch, LSL handlebar kit, d and d pipes, tokiko 6 piston calipers.

Love the bike... reminds me of a laverda jota

IMG_0312.JPG
    Scoozi, kaput13 and JHG67 like this.
  16. VX Rider

VX Rider Long timer

Oddometer:
    Amphib and JHG67 like this.
  17. Blakebird

Blakebird r-u-n-n-o-f-t

Oddometer:
    I had a '95 Fireball Orange Speed Triple - they removed 6th gear that year, but put it back for '96 :bluduh
    Put 32k miles on that bike, took some great trips with it and it was the bike I had when my wife and I started dating.

I had the Sebring 3 into 1, it sounded fantastic.
    JHG67 likes this.
  18. oranges3

oranges3 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Any updates?
  19. JHG67

JHG67 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Nothing of much consequence lately.

Removed the upper triple clamp to drill the mounting holes for the bar risers, then painted them.
    Not sure if I dig the bars and riser deal yet, I may try clip-ons, only above the triple clamp. We'll see.

I ordered a bunch of parts the other night. So much so, that my credit card company freaked out and put a temporary hold on my card!! :lol3

The parts should start arriving next week, so then there should be a bit more action taking place.

I just got back from Vintage motorcycle days at Mid-Ohio (looking for a tach, to no avail) and almost came home with this!!

Attached Files:

20. c1skout

c1skout Long timer

Oddometer:
    Cool project! I like that Thunderbird sport too!

Let me know if those bags are up for sale, I've been wanting to get a set.