1. AVOID SCAMMERS!
      (1) Do not transact without protections in place! Different payment options may limit your payment protection
      (2) Use a payment service like PayPal WITH (!) purchase protection.
      (3) Terms like 'Friends and Family' are a warning that NO payment protection exists.
      (4) Avoid transactions with new members with no history and "family or friend of friend" offers.
      (5) If you do not understand the payment method you're being asked to use; stop and do not proceed until you do
      (6) If you receive a suspicious private message, click the "report" link and let us know!
    LISTINGS MUST INCLUDE: Price, Location, Product Description(s) and NO Links to CL or EBAY or your post will not be allowed. Read the rules!

Sold 1997 Honda VFR750 Rat/Project $1,500 OBO

Discussion in 'Bikes' started by aaronric, Jul 16, 2021.

1. aaronric

aaronric I came to get down

Oddometer:
    Time to sell my 1997 Honda VFR750. I was about ready to list it for around the $3k mark, but then decided to take it on one last ride ... Hit a patch of gravel, and down she went. Damage was limited to cosmetics, but it was enough to turn an almost immaculate bike into a rat rod. Or just a trashed sportbike, depending on your stance. Pictures speak for themselves, but the ones with the drift-stitched upper fairings are the most recent.

I changed plugs and oil and took it for a ride yesterday to confirm everything works as it should. There are no weird movements or noises, but your legs do get a damn sight hotter now than they would with mid fairings. It being a Honda, it still runs like a scalded cat and pulls hard from idle to redline.

I have what's left of the mid fairings and the belly pan if you want them. The belly pan is scratched but serviceable, the mids are pretty much toast. I also have the radiator surround, which is damaged but (I think) reusable. The tank holds gas, but will either need to be replaced or massaged a lot if you want to restore this thing.

I understand I'm not asking a bargain basement trashed bike price here, but there's a lot that is still good about this bike, and it's still sound as a pound mechanically. It would make a cool commuter, track project, or just a decently cheap, extremely capable bike for someone who doesn't want to worry about trashing something nice. I'm not against keeping it, but I figured I'd see whether anyone else wants to give this machine some love.

I have owned this bike for almost six years, and until July 5 it was nearly immaculate. I have loved it immeasurably in the time I have owned it, but other bikes had me thinking it was time to let someone else fall for it.

I want $1,500 for it, but I am open to offers up to a point. If you have some sort of reasonably cool old truck or ratty old Bimmer or something, I would entertain a trade.

Thanks for looking, and feel free to ping me with questions. It's also posted locally on FB marketplace.

I live in Staunton, Virginia, and the bike lives in my garage. The title is clean and transferrable.

BUMP FOR PRICE DROP TO $1,500.

IMG_3550.jpg IMG_3549.jpg IMG_3548.jpg IMG_3547.jpg IMG_3538.jpg
    emoose likes this.
  2. drdfblackm

drdfblackm VeeFeer Supporter

Oddometer:
    People are going to want to know if it is still a clean title? How many miles? Has the regulator/rectifier been replaced...known issue with these...been there done that.

These are amazing bikes...I have owned several. To me the best sound in all of motorcycling.
    socalnative, aaronric and Magoo777 like this.
  3. aaronric

Oddometer:
    35k miles, reg/rect were replaced by the previous owner with the upgrade, at least as far as I know. I have never had any issues with charging, but replaced the battery once as part of a maintenance cycle. As stated, the title is clean and transferrable.
    drdfblackm likes this.
  4. aaronric

Oddometer:
    Bump, price drop to $1,700 OBO. Welcome offers!
    maxpower220 likes this.
  5. maxpower220

maxpower220 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Too bad you are in Virginia.
  6. aaronric

Oddometer:
    I dunno man, it's pretty slick. How far off are you?
  7. maxpower220

maxpower220 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Nw Fl, google map said 13 hrs, each way.
    aaronric likes this.
  8. aaronric

Oddometer:
    Yeah, that's a hike.
  9. ADV_Heff

ADV_Heff MARK IT ZERO! Supporter

Oddometer:
    aaronric likes this.
  10. aaronric

Oddometer:
    Thanks, but I'll pass. I have a Monster in the garage that I am riding more often now. If this one doesn't sell, I'll track it or just have it as a buddy bike.
    ADV_Heff likes this.
  11. aaronric

Oddometer:
    bump
  12. aaronric

Oddometer:
    buhmpo