~$1k to spend on gear for an August trip

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by hyperboarder, Jul 28, 2010.

1. hyperboarder

hyperboarder Potato Farmer

Oddometer:
    Looking to get properly outfitted for an August trip through Ouray, CO, the Grand Canyon, Vegas, and Moab. Already have my KLR and have a separate budget for bike parts. Now I need gear. Luckily the bike came with an Arai Profile, so not sure I need a helmet. I'd like to drop the budget accordingly ($700 or so) but I'd be ok spending the whole $1000. What I want:

-Some sort of audio set up for the helmet. Could be just headphones.
    -Jacket, hopefully good for all/most seasons. I like Speed and Strength
    -Pants, same as above
    -Boots, thinking MX here, leaning towards O'Neal Elements
    -Possibly gloves, have some Alpinestars short ones, but might want full length

Some caveats:
    -I'm 24, and like having some style. I'm not sold on 3/4 length jackets, though I'm not counting them out just yet. I'm also trying hard to avoid black as it's just really hot, but I can't go as far as a high viz yellow or something. The bike came with an Olympia mesh high viz jacket, don't see myself wearing it much.
    -I'd like minimalistic versatility. A lot without having to store a lot if I don't need it. I've got a full Jesse system, but I don't want much of it dedicated to bike stuff.
    -Not totally set on materials, but I like textiles. Leather is heavy.
    -I'm 6'2", 190 lbs, pretty average build. I usually wear a large or large tall.

Currently looking at Motorcycle Superstore, but open to other sources. Just need it all by 8/14. Thanks in advance,

Geoff
  2. squish

squish Out of the office.

Oddometer:
    Offer up the high viz jacket for trade
    That gives you some more room.

And start looking for used. You will find better gear if you get used then new $4$.
  3. cliffy109

cliffy109 Long timer

Oddometer:
    The Olympia mesh is about perfect for the places and time of year you're making this trip. Match it up with some gray mesh pants from Olympia and you'll be GTG on the jacket and pants. Spend the rest on boots and gloves.

Make sure the helmet fits you, is undamaged and isn't very old.
  4. tedder

tedder irregular

Oddometer:
  5. P B G

P B G Long timer

Oddometer:
    Style wise the Rev'IT and BMW stuff imho is the best look/fit.

You might be able to get one of the older styles or a used suit and stay in your budget.

MX boots can be had at a decent budget if you don't want the top of the crop.

Good gloves check.

As far as the helmet goes, how old is it, and does it show any sign of damage? You're supposed to replace helmets after a few years, and anytime they are dropped. Used helmet = iffy.

Personally I'd start with the jacket you have if it fits, buy yourself some pants and boots and full gloves, use more of your budget for better quality stuff, instead of cheaping out on a full new set of stylish stuff, then as money becomes available upgrade the jacket, which tends to be the most expensive part of the suit.

As far as sound system for the helmet... Well, helmets are noisy places, i wouldn't just wear any old ear buds and crank it up, you'll be deaf at the end of the day, and not aware of your surroundings. If you're going to get earbuds get something that either molds to the ear and is noise cancelling, or just good quality and keep the volume down. If you cannot hear it over the helmet, don't crank it up, change the air flow.
  6. tapdiggy

tapdiggy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Newenough.com has a good reputation. Regardless of where you end up buying, $1000 can get you a good set of quality gear and more. A pair of riding pants, gloves and a jacket can be had for $500 or less. Put the rest into a new helmet.
  7. speedracertdi

speedracertdi Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I am 6' 7" tall. First Gear makes tall gear that fits! I have a Rainier and a Mesh-Tex jacket. I have been in that part of the country during the summer. I would use the Mesh-Tex, modular helmet is mandatory for the heat, I use a Scorpion EXO-900, golves are Cortech Accelerator.
  8. TwoShots

TwoShots Vagabond

Oddometer:
    Revzilla.com for olympia gear. Prices are fair, stocks as shown on their site are accurate, and shipping is pretty fast. Recommend either the olympia recon or airglide pants.

Regarding your style statement: Honestly I don't think anyone will care as much as you think.
  9. hyperboarder

Oddometer:
    Slowly ticking stuff off the list. Went to the Happy Trails store in Boise and they had the Firstgear Rainier in stock for $300 (cheapish) that fit like a glove. I got that and some Klim Dakar pants, still need at least boots. Helmet's in great shape, no real signs of use and the gloves I have are fantastic, I just might want long ones. Getting closer and looks to be about a grand under budget. The jacket might be a bit warm, but I love the armor and the fit.

So as it stands right now I'm at $450 in gear with $550 left to spend on boots, gloves, and possible audio. Anyone think that's not doable?
  10. mb90535im

mb90535im '05 R1200 GS

Oddometer:
    Just to emphasize the importance of ATGATT, this is the totality of my injuries after a recent low-side get-off July 4th this year on asphalt wearing Olympia Air Glide Mesh pants, EVS BJ22 Jersy, BMW Airflow gloves, military style lace up boots, and Shoei Multi-tech helmet.

The pants and gloves will have to be replaced. My head never touched pavement. The boots are unscathed, and the EVS Jersey only has road rash on the elbow armor.

I wish I could find some proper riding boots but my foot is so wide the lace up military boots are so far all I've been able to find that will fit.

[​IMG]
  11. HaChayalBoded

HaChayalBoded Brooklyn Bored

Oddometer:
    since you have a jacket use it or like someone said offer it up for trade or for sale.

You don't want black or high viz, how about white? The new AST comes in white which is nice. It's $300 - whatever you get for your old jacket.

To keep the budget low consider getting use stuff from the flea market or ebay.

audio gear? Since you don't have gear and are concerned with looks and are 24 I'm going to guess you don't have a lot of riding experience. If thats the case then forgo the audio gear.

Lots of pants and boots come up for sale around here often. I'd offer you my stich boots but that would eat 1\4 of your budget

Look though the following websites for good deals

newenough.com
    motorcyclecloseouts.com
    There is one more whose name escapes me at the moment, but the two above is great for low priced gear.
  12. HaChayalBoded

Oddometer:
    just remembered, motogearoutlet.com
  13. tapdiggy

tapdiggy Been here awhile

Oddometer:

That is some nice gear. A new helmet is a good idea. Used helmets are iffy choices; even if the helmet just falls off the seat once, the foam interior can be damaged enough to become useless as effective protection. $550 can get a quality helmet and still leave you with some leftover cash.
  14. HaChayalBoded

Oddometer:
    Was it the new 2010 model Rainier or the 2009 model? I ask because the old one can be had for half that.
  15. rcompton

rcompton I am not Iron Man

Oddometer:
    If you are a 4XL or a Medium, and want the one color in stock for each....
  16. hyperboarder

Oddometer:
    It's the 2010 with the d3o. Wore it this morning, awesome jacket. Much nicer than the mesh one imo. Picked up some Frank Thomas gloves on clearance at Cycle Gear as well as some socks, so I'm close. I need boots and I might get some rain stuff as the boots and pants will not be waterproof (jacket is). Might get a Garmin Quest 2 as well as the bike came with the mount and wiring.

HaChayalBoded, I had a pair of sportbikes through college, haven't had a bike for a couple years, but the rides I've taken thus far have shown I didn't lose too much knowledge. Wish I would have kept more gear, but otherwise good. I want the audio as I foresee at least some multi-hour-long stretches of pavement, so as I'll have ear plugs in anyway, might as well make them play music :).

As for the helmet, it's in pretty good shape, nothing that indicates it's been dropped, but I do understand the hesitation. I don't really want to spend $550 on a helmet but I could get behind spending a few hundred. I know, I know, what's my brain worth and all that, I just don't see the big difference between the $150 HJC and the $600 Arai. Any recommendations on that front?

Edit - Also need suggestions to keep my butt from getting funky/gross/rubbed raw. Shorts, underoos, whatever.
  17. hyperboarder

Oddometer:
    Updates: Got some Jockey Go Mesh boxers and merino wool socks. Probably ordering the boots and an HJC FS-15 tomorrow unless someone has a better idea. $140 is hard to beat and I liked my last HJC. Picking up a small atlas, tire top off pump, camp chair, and a few other odds and ends and the bike should be ready to roll. 12 days and counting...