1mph tipover on 800GS causes clutch failure

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by Wallrat, Apr 24, 2015.

1. Wallrat

Wallrat Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Had a weird thing happen on my Utah ride a few days ago. Was pulling into camp and it was a bit softer than it looked so I ended up tipping over on the left side. No biggie. Picked it up only to find that my clutch lever was completely loose like the cable had broken, only the cable was fine. The actuating arm on the release lever (the part inside the clutch cover) turned completely freely with the only resistance coming from the return spring. With the engine running it would just rev and rev with no power going to the wheel (I have a rekluse btw).

Laid the bike on its right side the following morning and removed the cover. Was a real bitch to get off even after I broke the initial seal. Had to wiggle and pull for several minutes before it finally came loose. Found the release bearing rotated about 45 degrees off vertical (which is where it should be to mate with the assembly inside the cover. Hoping that was the issue I rotated back and reassembled. Again it was a real bitch to get the cover back on. Worked perfect so I loaded all my gear back on the bike. Soon as I went to restart I found that 3/4 of the clutch was freeplay again, and no movement with the engine running in gear. However if I brought the revs up to about 2k and feathered the clutch right in that last 1/4 pull then it would give me a CLUNK! and I'd be back in business with the clutch lever acting completely normal. Got myself 750 miles home from there since it worked fine except at low speed if I used the clutch lever or when I stopped the engine. If I left the clutch lever alone and let the Rekluse do its job it gave me no problems at all.

Never had the 800's clutch apart before so the design is a bit odd compared to other bikes I've wrenched on. I'm thinking either the release bearing is bent, something in the cover is bent, or maybe the grooved bearing or needle bearings on the release lever have some freeplay? Seems logical anyway. Anyone ever had this sort of thing happen? Just seems really strange that it would manifest after such a minor tip over on soft sand.
  2. Indy Unlimited

Indy Unlimited Long timer

Oddometer:
    Your issue is most likely nothing to do with BMW design or parts. I bet your rekluse set up is not right. Check the rekluse documentation and reset up when you get chance.
  3. Snowy

Snowy Long timer

Oddometer:
    Start from scratch with the Rekluse set up. Count the plates, measure the thickness of the plates that are recycled from original pack.

Failing that...was there some shift in the clutch adjustment? Is it all tight?

Or was the clutch cable not seated properly in the clutch perch to begin with? Resulting in the clutch being adjusted and functioning until it got a bit of a jolt.

How long since the Rekluse install?

What's your favourite colour?

Favourite beer?

NFL pick for this season?

oh....got carried away there...
    RSDA likes this.
  4. Wallrat

Wallrat Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm gonna disassemble the whole thing just for the sake of being OCD but I highly doubt its related to the Rekluse. My money is on the release lever needle bearings having slop and causing mating issues. Its the only thing that could logically be affected from tipping over in sand, although I suppose severely worn plates could potentially have this result.

Externally everything was where it was supposed to be and adjusted correctly before and after the incident. The issue is clearly going on inside the case since at no time should the release lever be free to move 180 degrees without anything more than the resistance of the return spring.

Not sure when it was installed since the PO did it but I've had the bike since October and in 10k miles have had no issues of any kind with the clutch save for adjusting the lever free play once a couple months ago. Working tonight but think I'll get around to opening her up tomorrow.

RR here btw:
    http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1059778
  5. Indy Unlimited

Indy Unlimited Long timer

Oddometer:
    If you have the stock set up put her back in and make sure the bike is working properly. Again Rekluse is a very finicky on set up.
  6. Wallrat

Wallrat Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    So this little guy was tweaked behind the throwout/release bearing. Doesn't look like it was part of the bearing and I'm not seeing it on the fiche if it isn't. What is it?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  7. Reaver

Reaver How Did I Get Here?

Oddometer:
    Oh, that's your shaft end oil restrictor.

Not good.

I'll look for a pic.
  8. Reaver

Oddometer:
    See it there in the middle of the basket? Not available separately and was not caused by the drop. :eek1

[​IMG]
  9. Wallrat

Wallrat Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ah damn. Was hoping for a free fix. So am I lucky enough for it to be part of the inner hub or outer basket, or is this a 'call my machinist' part?
  10. Reaver

Oddometer:
    Yeah, it's the primary trans shaft and I've been trying to remember the oil flow. The shaft is pressurized. I have a few transmissions at home but I'm very far from them.

The shaft is the same PN for the 650 twin, the 800 R S ST GS and GT. Look on Ebay for pics. Can't remember if the other end is open (hollow) and if it is then the brass is just a plug. A machinist is your best bet. Install it with high temp loc tite.

Is there a pin hole in yours?

Edit: shaft is open on the other end.

[​IMG]
  11. Wallrat

Wallrat Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

Snagged functional oil pathway pic off another thread. Back at work now so not sure. There's a dimple in either side but didn't check to see if there was a passage all the way through. I work in an industrial field so shouldn't be too difficult to hit up our machinist to make me a new one.
  12. Reaver

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

I have so many things on the other computer, it's frustrating.

The shaft looks pressurized and the hole in the brass plug (should be there) is to throw oil into the centre of the clutch pack which will be flung through and out.

So, have one machined precisely.
  13. Wallrat

Wallrat Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Well its that or clean this one up a bit and wedge it back in haha. Actually that might be possible. I'll have to take another look at it and see but I think its only the one spot visible in the pic that got ground down. If the OD is intact and the needle hole isn't damaged then that might just work. Awesome help btw. Owe ya one.
  14. Snowy

Snowy Long timer

Oddometer:
    It looks like it's come out of where it should be and got chewed up by other parts.

Where did you find it during disassembly?
  15. Wallrat

Wallrat Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Still inside the shaft, just cocked quite a bit so that it had made contact with the throwout. Clearance is tight enough between the shaft and throwout that it didn't come completely free and rattle around.
  16. sieg

sieg Wearing out tires......2 at a time, day after day. Supporter

Oddometer:
    +1 Peen it a little to make it a little larger in diameter and put it back in.
  17. ebrabaek

ebrabaek Long timer

Oddometer:
    The wear marks on the brass piece was cause by the Throw out bearing puller.....???? It looks like the wear is smooth enough as so no grit is big enough to plug other orifices. Most likely trapped in the oil filter. Have a good look in there to see if there is any secondary damage. If there were any big grit pieces, they would most likely be trapped inside the clutch basket. You need to look over and clean the entire Rekluse setup. This is specially important inside the EXP, on the Teflon friction pads. Metal grit can make short work in destroying them. Dont degrease any parts, just a good cleaning, and inspection of the basket.
  18. Wallrat

Wallrat Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Good advice, all. Was planning on putting the whole clutch assembly in an oil bath and giving it a rub. Didn't find any feeling of grit in the EXP slides but oil is cheap so will exercise that as well. Will be changing the filter as well and oil is already out.
  19. cgielen

cgielen n00b

Oddometer:
    I had the same problem my self, the route i went with was to machine a new plug but about 3/4 of a inch long and made it .0001 over speck through it in the freezer. then got a bolt that would fit in the shaft red hot then put it in the shaft for expansion. then cover my new plug in red lock tight and inserted the new plug. also to put the plug in remove the basket... take the nut that holds the basket in and spin it back on...then take a gear puller to act like a press.... and your done! if you have any questions feel free to msg me.
  20. cactus_reese

cactus_reese Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I thought I was the only one that had this problem. I put the slightly chewed plug back in with hi temp locktite per dealer mechanic recommendation. Has held up for two more BDRs so far.