1st Annual Father/Son Trip

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by fireman1028, Aug 13, 2019.

1. fireman1028

fireman1028 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Once we found out that my Wife's new job at the High School started 2 weeks before school starts, I knew that there would be a perfect time for my son(Sully) and I to get away for a hopefully annual father/son trip.

The plan was to have a 4 day trip. Day one would be travel, setup and the Titanic Museum. Day two, ride. Day three, ride some more and day four would be travel home.

We loaded up the CB500X in our awesome little toy hauler(which is for sale, btw) and headed out.
    https://advrider.com/f/threads/coachman-freedom-express-17-toy-hauler-fort-mill-sc.1398066/
    [​IMG]
    We set up camp at a KOA campground in Pigeon Forge,TN. I am not a fan of tourist traps like PF, but it was fairly central to all the things we were wanting to do.
    [​IMG]

Once we got camp setup, we had enough time to check out the Titanic Museum. I thought it was a little pricey, but Sully really enjoyed it.

BTW, that rough looking dog is Sparky. He goes everywhere with us.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Day two: The only thing that we knew we had to do, was to eat a pizza at the Topoca Lodge.
    We took the Foothills Parkway out of Pigeon Forge and made our way down towards Deals Gap. We stopped at the Look Rock Tower and made the 1 mile hike to the observation tower, which was totally worth the hike.
    [​IMG]
    We saw a sign for a campground in Happy Valley that we wanted to check out, so we made a 2 hr detour to it. We messed around there for a while and Sully got up the nerve to cross the river on a fallen tree.[​IMG]
    That was a big moment for Sully. He is typically risk adverse and won't try anything remotely dangerous.
    After that, we made it to the Tail of the Dragon(TOTD) and played around there for a while.[​IMG] [​IMG]
    Then we made the loop down to Fontana to check out the dam.
    [​IMG]
    We left there and circled back through Robbinsville and made it to the Tapoca Lodge.
    We were both very hungry and ordered their "Meaty Pie".
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    After we scarfed the pizza down, the long day of riding and hot weather caught up to my little riding partner. [​IMG]
    Even Sparky was down for a nap.[​IMG]

So we decided to head back to camp, but we wanted to take the long way up through Deals Gap [​IMG]
    and the Foothills Parkway, which has plenty of places to stop, see the scenery(and take a leak)
    [​IMG]
    That evening, we decided to treat ourselves to a sundae at a local creamery.
    [​IMG]
    Day Three: This days itinerary was a little more ridged, as we had to make a couple of stops for the Carolinas BMWMOA "Grand Tour".
    The 1st stop was at a cool little cafe/gallery in Hot Springs,NC which is an awesome little town.[​IMG]
    After that, it was another Grand Tour stop at the "Road to Nowhere" in Bryson City.[​IMG]
    lots of interesting graffiti in the tunnel.
    [​IMG]
    It was getting late in the day and we had already went through a couple of downpours, so we decided to head back to camp. I gave Sully the option to take the short route up 411 or the long route through Deals Gap and Foothills Parkway. He choose the long/scenic route and I was a proud papa.
    [​IMG]
    That evening, we decided to do some touristy stuff and rode one of the mountain side coasters that are all over Pigeon Forge.
    [​IMG]
    Day Four: Pack it up and head home to momma!!

Overall, it was one of the most fun and memorable times I have ever had and I hope that he and I(and Sparky) can make it a yearly tradition.
  2. Comrade Art

Comrade Art Working stiff

Oddometer:
    Great father-son bonding :thumb
    fireman1028 likes this.
  3. tireatr

tireatr Let's go for a ride

Oddometer:
    Great trip report. Hopefully your son takes up his fathers passion for rinding and being in nature. I am confident he will remember this fondly his entire life.