1st Annual Get On! ADV Festival, Sturgis, South Dakota July 15-18

Discussion in 'Regional Forums' started by RevZilla, Jun 15, 2021.

1. belrix

belrix Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Awesome pics!

I will be back next year, this time with MX boots!
    Nebraskagirl, SPop75 and Xclimation like this.
  2. DAC Moto

DAC Moto HAPPY TRAILS Supporter

Oddometer:
    All who showed up got to get the Pro version of REVER for free.
  3. Nebraskagirl

Nebraskagirl n00b

Oddometer:
    Great pictures!
  4. glfritz

glfritz Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    thanks for the pics wont miss it next year. whats up with the 2 bike that look like they crashed?
  5. DAC Moto

Oddometer:
    You said it right….we crashed. Someone forgot to turn off their traction control.
  6. DAC Moto

Oddometer:
    Thanks come out to next years event you will be happy you did.
    Xclimation likes this.
  7. DAC Moto

Oddometer:
  8. _lee

_lee Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
  9. Xclimation

Xclimation Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Just got back to Fort Worth, Texas from ADVfest yesterday....
    I had the time of my life! I will do everything in my power to be back next year and every year! Met sooo many great people! Learned sooo much motorcycle and motorcycle riding knowledge! ALL vendors and especially Comoto people were just awesome!
    Like many...I had my reservations about going. Was thinking it was going to be some kind of marketing blitz under the guise of a rally... I couldn't have been more wrong...!
    Comoto (Revzilla, Cycle Gear, J&P Cycles, Rever) made this event about riding, riders and motorcycles. The surprising thing I got out of it was friendships and exchange of ideas. I came with a mindset of just keeping to myself. I was going to check out vendors and do some partying. For me, it was going to be about the journey of getting there and the return trip. I wanted to relax. Wasn't planning on doing much riding when I got there. I thought I would be too worn out from the 1100 mile ride to get there.

I left on Monday. Stretched out my ride into 2.5 days. Camped 1 night in Horsethief reservoir in Kansas. Next night in Lake Mcconaughy, Nebraska. I called ahead to the Buffalo Chip to see if I could set up camp a day early so I didn't have to set up and tear down another campsite. No problem. Got there a day early. I hadn't paid the $260.00 yet because I wanted to be sure and get there. Got there, paid...got a tour of the place from Buffalo Chip owner's wife. Set up camp. There were 3 other tents already set up, and those 3 had just gotten there a couple of hours earlier. I met 2 of the other guys. Then went and talked to vendors as they were setting up. Had a couple of beers at the bar. Hung out with those who got there earlier and went to sleep.
    Next day, main mission was a new rear tire. Continental tire was there and I bought a TKC70 had it mounted and balanced by the mechanic at the venue...and scored a free Nelson Riggs tank bag. Checked-in officially and got more freebies...Talked to vendors and learned about their products. The vendors were awesome! The vendors were very knowledgeable about their products and were actual riders themselves. All pretty good riders. Especially Craig from Wild Ass Seats. Was great interacting and riding with Craig! He is the founder of the company and designed the seat pads. He is passionate about his product and motorcycling! MAN, can he ride! He just got a new BMW F850 GS anniversary edition and led a group of us on a ride. This was his first ride on the bike. It was about 200 miles on road full of plenty of twisties and beautiful scenery! He sure humbled me with his riding skills...and I did mention it was his first ride of the bike...Had a great ride and he pulled us over in the town of Keystone just in time to take cover from an epic hail and rain storm! Sat in a coffee shop to wait it out while our bikes got hit with hail...Don't ask me how, but none of our bikes were damaged? (And I did mention, it was Craig's new bike...) We next road back to the Buffalo Chip. Other riders were getting back from their rides.

Got to take out the Pan America. Harley had a nice set up and presentation for the bike as well as SEVERAL demo bikes for us to ride. Harley guys were knowledgeable . No wait to demo ride. My group took a wrong turn, and ended up REALLY testing the off-road capabilities of the bike. Then...got threatened to be shot by a land owner.....he finally let us go after blocking us in, and went on a looong profane laced tirade and rant on how he could shoot us! And he was wearing a Harley Tshirt! When he first came up....we thought he was from Harley coming to get us because we got lost off road. Got back, told the Harley guys what happened and for some reason they apologized as if it were their fault this whacko put us through a little scare....needless to say, I was impressed with the Pan America and it is on my list of possible next bikes. Was also good to see about 3 or 4 riders who came to the rally with their new Pan America.

Another day, went on another ride with a couple of guys and did some off road on a route provided by the Rever app. Had a short ride and I learned I need to work much more on my off road skills and at the time thought my Super Tenere was too big for off road (until someone hipped me to Chris Birch videos on YouTube ride a KTM 1290 Super Adventure off road.) The Rever app is awesome and Rever had a tent/ display set up with people showing us how to use it. Soooo many features! I was going to buy a GPS (Garmin Zumo XT)...but no longer need to.

Got to meet Spurge from Revzilla in person and talk at length with him. He is the real deal! A great person. Spurgeon is his real first name! ( I thought it was a nickname) He is extremely passionate about motorcycling, especially ADV motorcycling and he did a lot of riding! And he was very available and personable and would talk to many people after a hard day of riding. Nothing phony about him. But Spurgeon was not the only one like this from Comoto. EVERYONE from Comoto was friendly, professional and passionate about motorcycling. Steven who goes by Spop75 on here is such a cool dude! I felt bad for him because he had a freak accident and split the engine open on his KTM 890 the first day! He hit a rock in just the right spot. But, Steven and ALL of the Comoto people wanted to be sure that EVERYONE had a good time. They would individually ask us and were genuinely wanting to make sure we were enjoying ourselves. Also, got the meet the guy in charge of this website and a free ADV rider Tshirt.

One thing that stuck out was how passionate everyone who came is about ADV motorcycling. Like I said I didn't expect to ride each day. Many others I talked to were the same. But ALL of us woke up each day looking forward to going on a ride! During each day of the ADV fest the Buffalo Chip was close to deserted because everyone was out riding! Just soooo many interesting people there! I didn't want it to be over!!!

Enjoyed meeting many of you from here. I'm more of a lurker and met many others' who are lurkers as well. Felt bad for Belrix! (Broke his ankle) Despite breaking his ankle..he camped out one night with the broken ankle...and keep a positive and jovial attitude the entire time. His Africa Twin was okay. Many people helped him out and that was nice to see so many helpful people. Belrix, I hope you are healing well!

The biggest thing that stood out for me was just meeting new friends who I will stay in contact with. Like I said, I planned on just being to myself...but I swear I talked a mile a minute to many people from all over. I just can't say enough about the great time I had! It seems EVERY had a great time and I did not hear of 1 person say they wouldn't be back. Only minor gripes on little things that were no big deal. Was just so good to be around so many positive people. One could just see the look in everyone's face they were loving it!

Learned that Comoto is a brilliant company. We as motorcyclists are lucky to have them. They really do care what we think. I was asked several times. They were brilliant to have this event just before the big bike week with mostly Harley type riders. A lot of vendors and local businesses just got ready for the big week. We were like a test run for some and that worked out good for us...so whoever decided on the timing of this ADV fest is a genius! The Buffalo Chip was a great place to have this event and the location was perfect! They need to work on the shower situation...but I'll be better prepared next year for that.

As far as the bikes people brought....If I were to guess the most bikes were KTM. Was surprised to see so many 1290 Super Adventures. Next would probably be BMWs. Several KLR650. A few Triumph Tigers including the new 900. About 3 or 4 Triumph Scrambler 1200s. Saw 4 or 5 Super Teneres. About 5 Tenere 700. 3 Royal Enfield Himalayans. About 10 Africa Twins. A few Vstroms. I know I'm leaving out other bikes but that's what stands out in my mind so far. I don't recall seeing a single Versys? Saw a really cool bike called "Haffrika twin." It is a franken bike made up of parts from Honda and Yamaha bikes built, owned and ridden by Jeff from Revzilla. Real cool nice guy! The bike appears to ride very well.
    As far as us griping about the fee....I feel I got more than my money's worth! If one looked at all the expenses, then one can see that Comoto spent more on us than what our fee costs. And I'm not including freebies from Comoto and vendors. I know some were wanting to just pay for one day, but if one was there, it wouldn't be realistic for them to have a 1 day pass situation. It would be too much to keep up with. And having to check all the time who paid for the whole event and/or a single day would just be annoying and wouldn't work. Probably 95% or more were going to be there for the full event in the first place and to constantly check who paid for what all the time wouldn't work. I'm not verbalizing that well. But I hope you get the idea. I had a little chore of packing my freebies and lugging them on my 1100 mile ride home.
    Had a nice quick ride home. Rode 720 miles day one and stayed in a hotel in Wichita, Kansas. I almost just rode straight through to home in Fort Worth, Texas but had to get off the road from getting bombarded and pelted with bugs! Glad I stopped because the next day's navigation was not easy, then ridiculous construction on the Highway south of Oklahoma City. Wouldn't be nice while trying to see through dead bugs....Got rained on pretty good 3 different times the last 100 miles home. It worked out great because it washed the bugs off my bike.
    I can NOT wait till next year!
    Almost forgot to mention....One of the nights about 23:00 4 of us were hanging out and talking. Then one of the people the work there who I think is in management of the Buffalo Chip was leaving in her vehicle and stopped out of her way and told us how much she appreciates us and how polite everyone was and how they would love to have us back next year! That was the thing. No one that I noticed did anything stupid. No one was loud and obnoxious. No one got over drunk. Can you believe it? Not saying it didn't happen, but I sure didn't see it. It was quiet at night. Everyone was tired from some good riding. Good people all around.
    Oldrdude, glfritz, cra_fizzer and 4 others like this.
  10. belrix

belrix Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Great write-up and I totally agree!

It was awesome to meet you and all the other riders, truly an enjoyable experience.

My AT is being shipped home and the folks at Fozzy's Garage are storing it until pickup! Nice people everywhere. :)

Me and my healed ankle will be back next year, wearing better boots!
    Oldrdude, Xclimation and y2blade like this.
  11. GARAGE DWELLER

GARAGE DWELLER Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Was it you with the broken ankle? Not sure if I talked to you but I did see that AT.
  12. belrix

belrix Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yup that was me!

I talked with so many nice people out is hard for me to remember everyone!

Here is a pic of me with my stylish blue sock.

What were you riding? 8061.jpg
    y2blade and Xclimation like this.
  13. cra_fizzer

cra_fizzer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Man, I would love to attend, but the no dog rule is a hard pass. We take them everywhere. Glad you all had a great time. Lots of awesome roads there.
  14. GARAGE DWELLER

GARAGE DWELLER Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Man that sucks! Good boots are important, especially on those rocky trails out there. Get healed up! I was on a while KLR. Exclimation has a good write up there. I heard the trigger happy dude story from the Pam-Am guy...I almost forgot about that.
  15. isjustus4

isjustus4 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    We didn’t get over to the Rally, didn’t even know about it until days before our trip actually. Think I saw you guys over near Custer, and have a picture of the same Bison. 1BF9193B-A280-4A96-AC31-14C43A1E27CD.jpeg
    y2blade and Xclimation like this.
  16. DAC Moto

Oddometer:
    That was probably us. That was a big ole boy that bison. Hopefully everyone who is posting will be there next year and all join up for an epic ride.
    isjustus4, y2blade and Xclimation like this.
  17. y2blade

y2blade Long timer

Oddometer:

From what I see a stark contrast to the usual crowd that descend on the area in a couple of weeks time for the 86th
    Sturgis is on my bucket list, I'm not a cosplay pirate but would like to tick it off someday.....thanks for the excellent write up, sounds like the ADV Festival is a great weekend

Loving the pics btw everyone, keep them coming please
    @belrix heal fast buddy

Ride safe
    :cool:
    Xclimation likes this.
  18. Air Force Vet

Air Force Vet Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    So who has the group pic from Sat night?
  19. Jacksonjack41

Jacksonjack41 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Anyone have any idea how many riders showed up ? I was thinking of doing this but has plans to do the TWAT instead.
  20. belrix

belrix Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I believe it was somewhere strong 220ish through the gate
    y2blade likes this.