1st Annual "Ocean 2 Ocean" ADV Relay! 2020 Prep Thread

Discussion in 'Americas' started by AdventureTrail, Jul 29, 2019.

1. lunchmeat

lunchmeat MLI

Oddometer:
    Its the time of year to send it north. Maine across to Angle Inlet over to Ozette then down south to San Diego, across the south to Key West. Thats 4 corners plus ENWS in the contiguous states in relation to weather and rideability.
  2. tntriumph

tntriumph Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Congrats to all the participants in carrying the Baton Coast 2 Coast. In spite of Covid and all the restrictions and cross country travel difficulties we did it.

I'm up to continuing the Baton's journey should it ever pass my way again.

Cheers to ALL
    lunchmeat and travlr_45 like this.
  3. doc4216

doc4216 Chronic High Fiver

Oddometer:
    I am up for continuing the journey also. I will be in the Bay Area until June '21 and then somewhere in the NE. Still a willing participant in either location, baton schedule dependent.
    AdventureTrail likes this.
  4. riderjacob

riderjacob Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Currently the baton is located in Mount Pleasant, SC and I’d be able to pretty easily meet anyone up to about 2 hours from here. Please let me know if you’re interested! Also, If you’re passing through, you’re welcome to spend the night here or I could give you local recommendations.

Here’s my journey with the baton.

It started when I met Earache in Black Hawk CO. I had a great time hanging out with Earache and it was definitely one of the highlights of my trip!
    upload_2020-8-16_14-31-15.png

From there, I started the trip back to the east coast with a few stops leaving Colorado.
    upload_2020-8-16_14-31-48.png
    upload_2020-8-16_14-31-35.png

Once I entered Oklahoma was then the fun began! The first photo is from Hinton OK, not far from Red Rocks Canyon Adventure Park. I’ve camped there twice and I really enjoyed it! Next, stopping at the Museum of Osteology to see some very unusual attractions.
    upload_2020-8-16_14-32-28.png
    upload_2020-8-16_14-32-44.png

Next, I explored the Ozarks of Arkansas and spent the night at the TAT Shak.
    upload_2020-8-16_14-33-6.png
    upload_2020-8-16_14-33-14.png

Leaving Arkansas, I headed to the Natural Bridge of Alabama. On the way I encountered about 2 hours of rain but it wasn’t too bad.
    upload_2020-8-16_14-33-32.png

Following this stop, I rode through the rain for about 5 hours as it progressed into an extreme downpour with about only 30ft visibility. Earache told me “You can only get 100% wet” but I think I had to be over 100% when my boots were overflowing with water and my pockets were dripping empty haha.

After spending the night in a dry air conditioned hotel, I did the final push back home to SC and took a brief detour to the beach to take the baton all the way back to the Atlantic. Breach Inlet, Sullivans Island, SC.
    upload_2020-8-16_14-36-42.png
  5. riderjacob

riderjacob Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    travlr_45 likes this.
  6. travlr_45

travlr_45 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I’ll give first option to Realoldduelsportguy since iv had the opportunity once already. If no one else steps up I’ll take it back west with me on the 28th. If anyone else is interested speak up. Im ok with doing either. If adventuretrail wants to grab it and send it north that would be good as well. Y’all decide!
    locopny, AdventureTrail and Earache like this.
  7. travlr_45

travlr_45 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I spoke with riderjacob last evening. At this point ( no one has spoken up ) I’m going to pick the Baton up Sunday morning and take it back west starting next Friday. Plan is to leave here Friday morning and ride to Ft. smith Arkansas, then proceed to Pueblo Colorado Saturday, after that the riding will become more relaxed. Anyone interested in taking possession of the Baton along the way just speak up. We have a loosely prepared plan to ride Utah, possibly the north rim of the GC, time and weather permitting may head as far north as beartooth pass. After that we change direction back to the east.
  8. Earache

Earache Hola!

Oddometer:
    If no one else speaks up and rather than you taking it back home, I can meet up someplace and keep it here for the next person through. I'd really like to see someone else take it though
    AdventureTrail and travlr_45 like this.
  9. zaxrex

zaxrex I don't know. Do you know?

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the pics!!
    riderjacob and AdventureTrail like this.
  10. travlr_45

travlr_45 Long timer

Oddometer:
    We’ll probably be in the Pueblo area most of Sunday, one way or another we’ll work out a handoff!
    Earache and AdventureTrail like this.
  11. Earache

Earache Hola!

Oddometer:
    I can ride down to Pueblo on Sunday - just let me know.
    travlr_45 and AdventureTrail like this.
  12. travlr_45

travlr_45 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Got to meet riderjacob this morning. Picked up the Baton in Charleston from him. it’s now back in Savannah. I’ll be heading west Friday, if there is anyone interested in taking possession of it speak up. Should be in Utah early next week. If no one can grab it along the way I’ll leave it with earache. 77278BA1-DCD3-4E87-B329-2BE736CA8995.jpeg
  13. AdventureTrail

AdventureTrail A grin without a cat

Oddometer:
    Bet he didn't buy you coffee. :imaposer
  14. draco_1967

draco_1967 Spoon!

Oddometer:
    I am happy to take it. I don't have any trips planned at the moment, but I can facilitate it across state lines somewhere.
    travlr_45 likes this.
  15. travlr_45

travlr_45 Long timer

Oddometer:
    That would be great. Give it a new direction to go with a new rider. We’re planning a ride through Moab and possibly the north rim of the GC. From there may head north to beartooth pass ( weather and time depending )
    draco_1967 likes this.
  16. travlr_45

travlr_45 Long timer

Oddometer:
    No coffee break this time lol. He was at work! Was great meeting him.
  17. locopny

locopny Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Too far south for me, but looking forward to following along to see where I might catch up with it.
  18. draco_1967

draco_1967 Spoon!

Oddometer:
    I can meet anywhere along the path between SLC and Moab, or on the northbound leg of your trip if you go up to Beartooth.

Maybe I can go for my first SS1000 and buzz out to Northern California to see family and pass the baton there.
    Some Beach and travlr_45 like this.
  19. Earache

Earache Hola!

Oddometer:
    The baton is on the move again! Looks like it left Savannah, GA this morning at 0430 and is headed west. Assuming the hurricanes don't delay it, should arrive in Colorado tomorrow afternoon.
    Check out the progress on the SPOT link on Page 1 of this thread.
  20. DSchmidt7of7

DSchmidt7of7 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Looks like this thing is catching on. I'm enjoying the great photos of the hand-offs and places you guys have taken it. I'm in SoCal. Hoping the baton can make a swing out this way for some local "sight-seeing". Kinda limited on the range (bike's not set up for long runs on pavement) so if anybody can get it as far south/west as Bakersfield, Santa Barbara, or Barstow I'll do what I can to meet you there.

Ride safe and keep posting.
    travlr_45, AdventureTrail and Earache like this.