1st Annual "Ocean 2 Ocean" ADV Relay! 2020 Prep Thread

Discussion in 'Americas' started by AdventureTrail, Jul 29, 2019.

1. AdventureTrail

AdventureTrail Wannabe Adventurer and YouTuber

Oddometer:
    Indeed. I love the idea of a custom baton! That would be a really cool addition to the project.
  2. AdventureTrail

Oddometer:
    I really like this idea.
  3. travlr_45

travlr_45 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    An6 progress on a plan?
  4. AdventureTrail

Oddometer:
    Hey, sorry. Crazy busy week at work. I have been hitting down some ideas, and I’ll post when I get home in about an hour or so.
  5. ibgary

ibgary Long timer

Oddometer:
    Im in. Live about an hour north of Denver. 1015988292.jpg
  6. AdventureTrail

Oddometer:
    Awesome! Added you to the OP. Going to be typing up my ideas and getting them posted here soon so we can discuss. This week has been insanely busy and I haven't been at home much.
    ibgary likes this.
  7. blalor

blalor Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I dig this idea. In.
  8. AdventureTrail

Oddometer:
    Nice! Added you to the list in the OP! I'm also going to talk to the guys on the WV ride this weekend to see if they would be down to do the VA part with me.
  9. AdventureTrail

Oddometer:
    So I guess the biggest question is do we want this to be a strictly ocean-to-ocean endeavor like I posted in the OP, or do we want to go for the full 48? Obviously the 48 state idea is awesome, but it is also a MUCH larger logistical undertaking. I am willing to put the time in if that's what people are wanting to do, I just want the folks that we have here so far to be on the same page so we can move forward in the planning process.

So essentially it breaks down into one of two ideas:

1. A group of riders handing off/moving a baton across the county ocean to ocean, and documenting their progress/adventures

2. A group of riders moving the same baton through all 48 lower states (and maybe Alaska) and documenting their progress/adventures.

Thoughts?
  10. blalor

blalor Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'd say it depends on the interest. Seems like O2O would be easiest to plan and get involvement for. All 48 would be really cool, but maybe do O2O and then if there's interest go for all 48?
    ibgary likes this.
  11. AdventureTrail

Oddometer:

I'm inclined to agree. I also think "Ocean to Ocean" or O2O has a cool ring to it. There's also nothing that says the route out and back have to be the same. The baton could travel the northern states one way, and then southern states on the way back.
  12. Earache

Earache Hola!

Oddometer:
    Where did you get the pic of the little log book? I should order one so that I can make sure it fits into a baton, and then get working on the baton itself.
    I should stamp an address or phone number into the side of the baton as well - in case it gets lost, etc.

Adventure Trail: PM your phone and an address for me to stamp onto the baton.

edit: Maybe would should just get a USB Thumb drive to put inside the baton. A large capacity one so that people could add a story and maybe some pics to it as it moves along?

I can get a 1TB thumb drive for about $10 - that should be large enough.
  13. AdventureTrail

Oddometer:
    Sent! I like the idea of the USB Drive, I also think that a nice small journal in a weatherproof bag (I already have one) can be sent with the baton as well, for those that would rather write, or sign their names, or for those that won't have internet access during their run.
  14. Earache

Earache Hola!

Oddometer:
    Agreed. The drive would also allow us to add video, pics, etc. Would be a bit more fun that way.

A waterproof paper journal would help as well - one with Tyvek sheets of paper, etc.
  15. AdventureTrail

Oddometer:
    Updated with possible route and green dots in states where we already have at least one interested rider/riders. PLEASE NOTE THIS IS IN NO WAY A FINAL ROUTE, THIS IS JUST A CONCEPT.
    Concept map.jpg
    blalor likes this.
  16. Earache

Earache Hola!

Oddometer:
    If it'd help the southern route, I could also meet someone in New Mexico - like the Santa Fe area. So put another dot there. Could also meet in Wyoming as well.
  17. AdventureTrail

Oddometer:
    Updated. Concept map.jpg
  18. ibgary

ibgary Long timer

Oddometer:
    Im game for either the O2O or 48. Just to get the ball or baton rolling id vote for 020. Try the 48 next yr if we succeed.
    Earache likes this.
  19. AdventureTrail

Oddometer:
    I think O2O is going to be it. I’ll be making a new thread tonight that’s better organized and doesn’t have some of the original posts that might confuse people viewing it for the first time. Will also allow me to reserve the second post for updates and the like. I’ll link the new thread here once I make it.
  20. travlr_45

travlr_45 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    :happayUse a map to determine the locale of everyone who has ( or will ) volunteered to join in, then use that as a means of determining a course of travel. As others have stated, see how the first run turns out. Easy enough to expand the route on subsequent runs later. Being on the east coast I’m good for pickup and delivery at the start or the end.