1. eNewsletter Sign Up

1st Annual "Ocean 2 Ocean" ADV Relay! 2020 Prep Thread

Discussion in 'Americas' started by AdventureTrail, Jul 29, 2019.

1. Earache

Earache Hola!

Oddometer:
    I could meet ya in the Four Corners area to hand off the baton as it heads east. If you and DSchmidt7of7 could meet up around Blythe, CA - we'd have it well on it's way east. But I'll leave the route planning to AdventureTrail and others.
    AdventureTrail and Some Beach like this.
  2. travlr_45

travlr_45 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I’m here on the east coast. When it gets this far I could grab a pic on the beach here on this end. We have several historical markers along the coast line here! If needed I’m good for a couple of hundred miles radius.
    AdventureTrail likes this.
  3. RealOldDualSportGuy

RealOldDualSportGuy If we can't laugh, we will all go insame Supporter

Oddometer:
    Sounds like things are progressing
  4. AdventureTrail

AdventureTrail A grin without a cat

Oddometer:
    Got you added to the list in the OP. Welcome aboard!
    Some Beach likes this.
  5. ibgary

ibgary Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'll be heading south from Co in early March. I'll be going to Bi Bend and crossing the border near Laredo. If some one could get it from 4 corners to Raton I can get it farther south with a pic of the Texas border and or Big Bend.
  6. AdventureTrail

Oddometer:
    I think that some of the route is going to remain pretty organic. It almost feels like the more specific the route planning, the more opportunities for things to get off track. I figure we keep it simple for the first few trips back and forth. We can use the thread to network and arrange pickups so we have a rough idea of where it’s going to be, and we can post progress pics. I figure each rider could do the following:
    1. Pic of them with their bike and the baton
    2. Rough start point/end point of their leg (mileage optional but encouraged)
    3. A pic of the baton at a cool/significant place along their route.
    4. Sign the “log sheet” that we are planning to keep in the baton itself.

I figure that’s a good starting point. Any additional thoughts/ideas?
    snglfin, Some Beach, Earache and 2 others like this.
  7. rvsparky

rvsparky Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I should be good for Kansas. I’m pretty flexible for anything close.
    Earache, AdventureTrail and ibgary like this.
  8. AdventureTrail

Oddometer:
    Got you added to the roster. Welcome!
    ibgary likes this.
  9. zaxrex

zaxrex I don't know. Do you know?

Oddometer:
    Would love to see some dates locked down. With my job, I generally plan out availability a Quarter in advance.
    Earache, ibgary and AdventureTrail like this.
  10. oneway

oneway Tehachapi CA

Oddometer:
    I’m headed rom CA to FL in April/May. I can tote a baton no problem and am happy to move it along but I think the logistics would be a nightmare since I never plan a route.
    So I’ll just leave it at that.
    AdventureTrail and Earache like this.
  11. TUCKERS

TUCKERS the famous james

Oddometer:
    Villa Maria Sanitarium, Claremont, CA. USA
    Logistically speaking it ought to be a breeze. You have the baton....you post in the thread whereabouts you will be the following few days. People get in touch and arrange a meeting or drop off pick up point. If you cannot personally transport the baton you can still play by being a liaison drop/pick up zone....'organic' is this weeks new word useage. The baton doesn't really have to keep moving from one person to the next, it can sit awaiting an opportunity. I don't recall it being a race....more of a wander?
  12. travlr_45

travlr_45 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    When we did a similar event like this on the ST board a few years ago most of the progress was made on the wknds. During the week people work, do yard work, etc etc. it’s about having fun. Turn on the spot checker and watch the progress.
  13. oneway

oneway Tehachapi CA

Oddometer:
    When I say I don’t plan a route it’s more like I just follow the front wheel. I have reversed course and changed directions on a whim. I normally don’t know where I’m stopping for the night when I start the day. I like it that way.
    Plans for me are just cumbersome.
    So if I had the baton I guess I would post something like:
    I’m in this town for the night. No telling where I’ll be tomorrow. I think that would be a pita.
    ibgary likes this.
  14. TUCKERS

TUCKERS the famous james

Oddometer:
    Villa Maria Sanitarium, Claremont, CA. USA
    OK. You've talked yourself out of it. You can watch though. Although if you posted 'I am in this town tonight'...chances are you will still be in that town next morning. Let's say for want of an example you stop and post your location at 4pm and yet you don't make plans there is a chance the earliest you would saddle up is what....7am? Using that example someone would have 13 hours to get to you. OR..you could arrange to take the baton and drop it at a specific location that was reliable. This may involve making a plan, following a route and timetable....it's part of the game if you want to play.
    travlr_45 likes this.
  15. AdventureTrail

Oddometer:
    There could also be opportunities to leave the baton for the next rider at a checkpoint that is friendly to motorcycle riders. Some of the inns/stops along the TAT for example. Just a thought.
    ibgary likes this.
  16. AdventureTrail

Oddometer:
    How would everyone feel about getting this thing moving starting March 1st? @Earache I think you'd be the first since the baton is already with you. Thoughts?
  17. Earache

Earache Hola!

Oddometer:
    I'll be under 3 feet of snow in March, April and most of May - we live at 10,000' in the Rockies. Hell, it snowed 20+ inches here last June. But definitely no riding in March for me.
    I can send the baton to whoever for a start point, but suggest a slightly later beginning date as it'll move around pretty fast.
    I still think it should start with you as the whole project started with you in the foirst place. That'd make the most sense.
  18. AdventureTrail

Oddometer:
    That makes sense. I don't mind to start the route, would just need to get the baton shipped here to VA. May might work better here as well now that I think about it more. And I think you're right, if we are doing it in riding season, it will likely move pretty quickly. It's not unheard of for us to get snow in March in our area, although nowhere near the levels you're talking about! :imaposerI can start it at the Atlantic as originally planned, and head west.
  19. outdoorsman

outdoorsman Lets Ride! Supporter

Oddometer:
    I just found this thread. What a great idea!

I'm in Sacramento, California. I can do CA, OR, NV, ID, WA, UT. I'm also flexible with dates and routes.
  20. AdventureTrail

Oddometer:
    Welcome! Added you to the list of riders in the OP.
    outdoorsman likes this.