1st BAAM (Brazilian ADV Annual Meeting)

Discussion in 'Latin America' started by Robson Jaborá/SC, Jan 18, 2010.

1. Robson Jaborá/SC

Robson Jaborá/SC Brazilian Adventurer...

Oddometer:
    Pics pics pics...
    I'm waiting for the RR... :lurk
  2. SCExpat

SCExpat Ex-expat

Oddometer:
    The road from the BR116 to Serra da Graciosa is truly incredible. Half brick and half pavement but 100% zig zagging (with a few switchbacks) down through an incredible nature preserve. The air was sweet with some kind of flower...maybe jasmine or??? There were scenic view points along the way. I learned not to navigate by road numbers as they are different then what is on Google earth. I was looking for PR340 and then PR405 but it was all PR410??? So I thought I was going the wrong way but the road was so incredible I did not care. It was a little hard for me to find the way to Guaraquecaba with the street signs pointing to the next closest city and the numbers being different then I was looking for. Some signs were hidden by overgrown plants. I started asking people walking along the road, with my poor Portuguese, if this was the road to Guaraquecaba and they kept pointing down the road. It was dark but my bike has a great headlight and I was anxious to get there. I saw a sign pointing down a dirt road and knew I was on the right path. After driving for what seemed like an hour with no street lights, houses or anything I stopped and asked some people and they told me it was another hour and a half :eek1 This road was so isolated from everything. The kind of road that makes you start thinking about what would I do if I got a flat or??? There is absolutely nothing around for miles and it was pitch black.
    I rolled into the pousada about 9:00 PM and was told everyone Just went to town to eat. Mario got there in the early afternoon and by 6PM when he was still alone began wondering if he was at the right place. Rodrigo and Jake also did the whole dirt road in the dark but riding double and with little headlights of single cylinder dual purpose bikes. They got there about 15 minutes apart and about 30 minutes before me. I just wanted to stay at the pousada and :1drink but I forced myself back on the bike to go down and meet the others. There was only one road and I just followed it to the end and easily found the restaurant by looking for the bikes. I met Mario, Rodrigo + gf and Jake +gf there. Had a bite to eat and then went back to the pousada to unload and deplete their supply of cold beer. We hit it off great as we all have the same sick sense of humor. Rodrigo, Mario, Jake and I were up to about 3 AM :freaky :freaky :freaky. Those guys can really put it away. Lots of jokes about red and green sheep???? and who would go to keep Mario company in his tent :eek1 :rofl It only got better. I will write more later and hopefully learn to post pics or somebody will. Overall this was the best weekend I have had in Brazil :clap :clap :clap

We were hoping to see Evandro there but realized it was a really long way to go in one day and he may have changed his mind.
  3. Robson Jaborá/SC

Oddometer:
    Excelent...! :lurk
  4. SCExpat

SCExpat Ex-expat

Oddometer:
    I just put some pics. on my Picasa page:

http://picasaweb.google.com/gr8doc/1STBAM#

I know Rodrigo, Jake and mario have great pictures.

I am hoping the others will share their stories as I don't think they would want me to be the spokesman for this meeting. Remember I did not pass my psychological test :evil
  5. firela

firela Adventurer

Oddometer:
    great location with some very nice views ,the road in and out a little bumpy but really enjoyed the ride back.stopped at the water fall on the way had a swim ,then next stop morettes ate some great food drank plenty of beer thanks to Rodrigo for choosing the restaurt .robson thanks for the organising the weekend it was unforgettable :clap
  6. Robson Jaborá/SC

Oddometer:
    Congrats friend! It's very very very good... :lurk :lurk :lurk
    Every time I come here I fell I missed a big opportunity to see all of you... :baldy :baldy
  7. Robson Jaborá/SC

Oddometer:
    And...

You started the ADV story in Brazil, it's very good for us. :rayof
  8. rodrigo1985

rodrigo1985 Adding Dust Layers

Oddometer:
    GREAT PICTURES! i will share soon as possible my pictures!
    the psychological test is a very good joke!!:rofl
  9. rodrigo1985

Oddometer:
    We have a bunch of good restaurants and cold beers to explore!!!!!
  10. FJakeR

FJakeR Halape

Oddometer:
    Great pictures Mike!!!!

I have to try and get mine uploaded today and make a post. Let me just say that I only made it halfway home before the pimentas came calling!!!:rofl

Who is firela, Mario?

GREAT weekend!
  11. SCExpat

SCExpat Ex-expat

Oddometer:
    Firela is Mario.

So did you find a frozen banana. :kboom :rofl
  12. SCExpat

SCExpat Ex-expat

Oddometer:
    So Saturday morning at the pousada drinking coffee we were talking about what to do. It was so hot and humid that we were sweatting like crazy just from drinking hot coffee. Guaraquecaba is so small we saw the whole place at dinner last night. There really was nothing else to see or do there other then hang out at the pousada, swim in the pool, drink beer and have a churascurria? (BBQ). But we decided to head back and stop at a waterfall, a scenic view point and go to Morretes and eat Barreado at a great restaurant Rodrigo's GF (Susana) knew.

The owner of the pousada was very understanding of our desire to shorten our stay and did not hold us to our reservations or make any extra charges. That alone is worth staying there the next time. We packed up and went to THE gas station. Yes Guaraquecaba is a one gas station town. After topping up with 3 Real/liter gas we said goodbye. The dirt road looked different in the day time. Not quite as bad as the night before - not knowing where I was and how much farther I had to go. Very dusty so we spread out to keep the dust down a bit. We got to the park entrance and parked the bikes in the shade. Did I mention it was really hot! We started the short hike to the waterfalls and had to cross a suspension bridge. Just like kids we were bouncing and swinging the bridge and trying to walk across without holding anything. We can to a nice size pond and it did not take long before we were jumping in too cool off. After enjoying the cool, clear water we started back down the trail to the falls. When we got there it was quite impressive and there was no way I could get the whole thing in one picture with my camera. So we were back in the water again. After cooling off it was time to get back on the trail. We made a quick stop for water and were heading on down the road to Morretes. A little ways down the road there was a big cement sign/art/thing and stairs going up the side of the hill to an old cement lookout. It was still really hot and humid (did I say that already?) and it was really a PITA climbing those stairs. At the top the lookout was falling apart and the safety was questionable. So I waited for someone else to test it before going out myself. :evil Needles to say the view was incredible. A short break looking out at the ocean here and we were back on the road. Soon it went from daylight to dark. I could see my headlight lighting up the road. Then it started to rain so we stopped to get rain gear on. It really started to pour and I was soaked by the time I got my rain suit on. Then there was the thunder and lightening. Almost right on top of us. I was wondering if it was safe to ride in the storm but thought that since there were trees on both sides of the road we would be safe. The good thing was that it cooled off a lot and there was not any more dust. The dirt road wound around hills and the small valleys had little streams through them and the hills had some good streams running down them. Then just as quickly it stopped raining and I came around a corner to see Jake and Rodrigo stopped at the paved road. The hard part was over. There was a very light rain as we rode about 30 minutes into Morretes.
  13. ArthDuro

ArthDuro quarantined

Oddometer:
    :clap nice work folks, thanks for the pics
    maybe I will attend one of these in the future
  14. rodrigo1985

Oddometer:
    :rofl :rofl :rofl !!! frozen banana!
  15. Robson Jaborá/SC

Oddometer:
    Who will tell us about this mistake? :hide :lol3
  16. FJakeR

FJakeR Halape

Oddometer:
    <o:smarttagtype namespaceuri="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" name="country-region"></o:smarttagtype><o:smarttagtype namespaceuri="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" name="City"></o:smarttagtype><o:smarttagtype namespaceuri="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" name="place"></o:smarttagtype><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:punctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <w:DontGrowAutofit/> <w:UseFELayout/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if !mso]><object classid="clsid:38481807-CA0E-42D2-BF39-B33AF135CC4D" id=ieooui></object> <style> st1\:*{behavior:url(#ieooui) } </style> <![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> Left <st1:city w:st="on">Sao Paulo</st1:city> on Tuesday and rode BR116 to <st1:city w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Curitiba</st1:place></st1:city>. I had to work the rest of the week so I had to take dress shoes/pants/shirts, my computer, other things for work and also my stuff for the weekend. I was loaded down.
    <o:p> </o:p>
    [​IMG]
    On Friday I picked up my girl at the airport in <st1:city w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Curitiba</st1:place></st1:city>. Her flight was delayed and we didn&#8217;t leave there until 5:10. It gets dark around 6:30 and we had 160 kms to go. OK, not bad, we&#8217;ll do the last little bit in the dark, no problem.
    One thing I love about riding in <st1:country-region w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Brazil</st1:place></st1:country-region> is that while I&#8217;m not sure if this move is entirely legal, it is normal and accepted.
    [​IMG]
    We rode down the Gracioso (sp?) and it was nice and twisty.
    [​IMG]
    We rode about 100 kms and it was starting to get dark and I didn&#8217;t feel like we were going the right way. Stopped to ask directions and sure enough, we passed the road we were supposed to take 15 kms ago.
    We get back to the road and no wonder I missed it. It&#8217;s a dirt road. OK, cool. So we ride about 5 kms and it&#8217;s quite bumpy, the bike is way overloaded and I&#8217;m bottoming out the suspension on almost every hole when I try to go above 40 kms/hr.
    We stop to verify that we are on the correct road with someone out for their evening stroll. Yes, we are on the right road, only 80 more kms to go. Oh&#8230;ok. 80 kms? That&#8217;s 50 miles. And we are averaging about 25 miles an hour. Well, looks like it&#8217;s going to be a long night.
    Luckily the head light on my bike absolutely sucked so I would have an excuse if I crashed.
    Here are a couple shots from my helmet cam.

[​IMG]<o:p></o:p>

[​IMG]
    Watch out for the dogs that just show up out of nowhere!!!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Oh yeah, and the busses too! I would not want to ride this 50 miles in a bus. Yuck.

We arrived at the pousada and were soon in town with everybody else getting some dinner. Mike joined us there and afterwards we went back to the pousada. Rodrigo, Mike and Mario are some professional drinkers so I stayed as long as I could but eventually stumbled back into my room and slept like the dead. I must have run into the brick wall of my room at some point in the night because I awoke with a big strawberry on my forehead.
    Either that or my g/f hit me in the head while I was sleeping for dragging her down that road.
    The end of the road in Guaracacaba.
    [​IMG]
    I was still half in the bag at this point, but everyone wanted to get going to see a waterfall so we gassed up and hit the road.
    [​IMG]
    The little band of Adventurers from left to right. (Sorry if I misspell your name) Rodrigo and Suzane, Mike and Mario.
    [​IMG]
    Two up on a Honda Sahara 350 and still smiling. Hardcore.
    [​IMG]
    We headed back into a preserve to see a waterfall. It was a sweltering heat, so the thought of a possible place to swim appealed greatly to me.<o:p></o:p>
    [​IMG]
    Before we paid to enter the preserve, we asked the gatekeeper if we had to hike to the waterfall because we didn&#8217;t really want to leave our bikes unsecured. His answer made it seem like you just had to take a few steps and you were there. No hiking he said.
    [​IMG]
    After we hiked for 1 km we found a little bend in the river to swim in. I was soaked with sweat and didn&#8217;t care if there were leaches or piranhas, I was going swimming.
    The water felt so cold and refreshing!!! This little pool was like heaven.
    This was the clearest water I&#8217;ve seen in <st1:country-region w:st="on">Brazil</st1:country-region> yet, mainly because I live in <st1:city w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Sao Paulo</st1:place></st1:city> and the rivers there are pretty dirty.
    [​IMG]
    Then we hiked another .6 kms to the waterfall. It was worth it. I&#8217;m the little speck at the bottom to give you an idea of the size. The wind at the bottom was quite strong.
    [​IMG]
    We stopped at a little place that Mario pointed out. In the middle of nowhere there were some stairs that led up to this tower. The view was outstanding. Somewhere back there on that body of water was the town that we stayed in last night.
    [​IMG]
    I think this was the last time she smiled until we got to the restraunt for dinner that night because&#8230;
    [​IMG]
    all of a sudden the sky got very dark and the rain just started pouring. It came out of nowhere. We stopped as fast as we could and tried to get our raingear on but it was too late, we were pretty wet by the time it was on.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    And then it just stopped and daylight returned.
    [​IMG]
    We passed some delicious looking cows, and I was hungry enough to build a fire and try my luck but Mike reminded me that we didn&#8217;t have any beer so what use would a nice steak be? Of course he was right so we continued on.
    [​IMG]
    We got to the town where we were staying and went out for a wonderful dinner. I ate too many peppers though. They would come back to haunt me two times. The first was when I tried to sleep that night. I could feel them in my belly and every time I burped. Hmmm, I wondered, what will tomorrow be like?
    Mike, Mario and I had a blast drinking in some different bars and having crazy conversations all night as well as watching the local people. I think it was around midnight when we were sitting on the edge of a river drinking and there was a huge splash. Oh, just some drunk guy swimming in the river. Cool.
    The next day we all left and rode up the Gracioso again. At the top we left for <st1:city w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Sao Paulo</st1:place></st1:city> while the others stopped for some sightseeing. <o:p></o:p>
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    From there we took BR-116 again and headed home.
    [​IMG]
    On one mountainous section there was a <st1:place w:st="on">LOT</st1:place> of traffic. We had to ride in between the semis, which I didn&#8217;t like at all, but we had no choice. It seemed like the chili peppers I had eaten the night before had waited for this exact moment and triggered their ambush. I feel like I barely made it to the next gas station. I went inside and guess what? No toilet paper. Jeesh. I went into the little store in front and it was soooo small. They had a cooler with water and soda, a shelf with some trinkets, and a whole wall of toilet paper, more than 100 rolls. Aha! I tried to explain that the bathroom had no toilet paper, and the salesman grinned, said that he knew that, and would I like to buy a roll?
    I was hardly in a condition to bargain so I happily paid full price and went to greet my friends the chili peppers. Owww&#8230;just as I remembered them, burning hot!

17. SCExpat

SCExpat Ex-expat

Oddometer:
    Saturday night at dinner we were talking about how there are not any hot peppers in Brazil. So Rodrigo had the waitress get some for us. Jake went to town on them. Eating fork fulls all at once. Then he said his mouth was burning and he would need some ice cream to cool it off. So we started asking him what about tomorrow when they come out the other end? :kboom Would he need some ice cream then? But it would be too soft to help so he really needed a frozen banana!!!! :yikes
  18. SCExpat

SCExpat Ex-expat

Oddometer:
    Great pictures Jake. I can not imagine doing that dirt road at night, two up, with that little headlight.

So where and when is the next ride? :clap :clap
  19. firela

firela Adventurer

Oddometer:
    great pics jake ,hope you got all the pimetas out ,did someone mention another ride lets get talking :D
  20. FJakeR

FJakeR Halape

Oddometer:
    I'm ready to go riding.

Some places that are on my list are Ilha Bela island in SP state, Iguacu Falls and Paraguai, Guarapuava, the Pantanal, Serra do Rio Rastro, Florianopolis, and I wouldn't even mind going back to Morretes and doing that tubing trip down the river. I saw pics of the other guys who did that last weekend and it looked like a LOT of fun. Plus, I could definitely hang out in that town and drink a few more beers.

Next weekend is Easter right? Everyone has Friday off right? :wink: