1st Solo Rip, Remote SE Oregon, & a Drone - Updated w/ Drone Vid

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by liv2day, Jun 28, 2018.

1. TheAdmiral

TheAdmiral Long timer

Oddometer:
    grabbed a milk shake

This is why I need to get there someday.

Awesome family.

Awesome pictures.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

liv2day likes this.
  2. KarmaSect

KarmaSect The Dude Abides

Oddometer:
    Posted my tracks from our trip here. Interested to compare to yours.
  3. JAS4

JAS4 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Good work Liv2day! Awesome ride report, solid interaction with the natives, and real gumption. Nice!!
    liv2day likes this.
  4. liv2day

liv2day Is Anyone Here a Marine Biologist! Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm going to cleanup my actual tracks, but here's the loop I laid out (added a couple way points for where I hit private property trying to get up the Steens and the steep hill near Juniper Spring).

1. Day 1 - Summer Lake HS to Fisher HS: 104 miles (ended up being longer as I hit private property, need to add a way point for where)
    2. Day 2 - Fisher HS to Alvord HS: 125 miles (ended up being longer due to hill concerns at Juniper Spring)
    3. Day 3 - Alvord HS to Hart Mtn HS: 91 miles (never made it...damn flats :eek7)
    4. Day 4 - Hart Mtn HS to Summer Lake HS: 108 miles (never made it...damn flats :eek7)

Attached Files:

JAS4 likes this.
  5. liv2day

Oddometer:
    Here are some screen grabs from the riding.

Day 1 Summer Lake HS to Fisher HS
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Day 2 Fisher HS to Alvord HS
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Day 3 Alvord HS to Fields Station...3 times...LOL
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
  6. liv2day

Oddometer:
    And here's the actual set of tracks with way points added for private property I hit, hills I couldn't climb, and baby heads I decided to skip after several miles of being beaten up.

1. Day 1 - Summer Lake HS to Fisher HS 114 Miles
    2. Day 2 - Fisher HS to Alvord HS 139 Miles
    3. Day 3 - Alvord HS to Fields Station, 3 different times 49 Miles
    Have a video to put together from the last day's "ride", then this goofy report will finally be done...lol.

Attached Files:

7. liv2day

Oddometer:
    Short video to end the ride report; some footage from having fun on the Alvord and my (short-lived) attempt to get up on the Steens. Next time.

YellerDog and tundradirtbiker like this.
  8. AnimalDr

AnimalDr Adventurer

Oddometer:
    good report. Enjoyed it esp the drone footage .
  9. liv2day

Oddometer:
    Thanks! Appreciate you following along. The Mavic is a slight pia to pack along and then get up in the air, but the perspective it yields is 2nd to none IMO. I wish DJI would do something to make it better at dealing with altitude changes, but it’s seriously a neat piece of kit.

Looking forward to my next trip out there :D:D
    kleinergti1 and TheAdmiral like this.
  10. JP Rider

JP Rider Let's Just Ride!

Oddometer:
    Hey Brad,

Great ride ... Great adventure ... Great story ... I wish I could've been along with you for that one!

Until next time! ...
    liv2day likes this.
  11. Serp

Serp Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Great pics, footage and write-up! I'm running the tubliss system without problems on my WR but haven't tried them in the kind of terrain you were in (they held up well on the WABDR though).
    PBRider likes this.
  12. liv2day

Oddometer:
    Thanks @Serp, appreciate it! I've thought about running either Tubliss or mousse as I know lots of other folks have done so without a problem. I haven't wanted to spend the $$$ and I'd still be worried about trying to find 110psi if something went pear-shaped with Tubliss or roasting a mousse and not having a back-up. Tubes are a pain, but they're simple...lol.
    Serp likes this.
  13. liv2day

Oddometer:
    Me too amigo, would have liked to have a spare set of hands changing so many tubes...lol. You would have seriously liked the part we had to skip last year (flooded tracks just past Shirk Ranch), cool as hell.
  14. PBRider

PBRider Adventurer

Oddometer:
    You can always carry a tube just incase when running a tubliss and swap out or better bring spare tubliss bladder for $12.

I have used tubliss. for three years now running through OBCDR, WBDR and IBDR and love it.

I can go a full week without checking pressure on the internal bladder and it will still be about 90psi at the end of the week with no issues and holding air to the main tire.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
    Serp likes this.
  15. liv2day

Oddometer:
    Hmmm...might have to rethink my strategy, forgot you did so and that was on your big bike for a bit too. Have to wait a while, just got the bill for my shock...should have taken care of the shock before this trip (doh).
    PBRider likes this.
  16. Kingfish

Kingfish Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Nice inspirational RR! This area just got added to the mental checklist of future adventure locations. And all these drone videos I keep seeing are going to cause me some financial pain I predict. Well done sir!
  17. liv2day

Oddometer:
    Thanks @Kingfish! Appreciate the comments and if you've never ridden in this neck of the woods, I'd highly recommend doing so :thumb

Although the upfront expense of the drone is tough to justify (for something like the Mavic), it's a great piece of tech that can be used for a whole bunch of different applications if you like messing with video, etc. Not only does it provide a great perspective for video, but you can get cool still shots from places a normal camera can't get to :nod:nod. Well worth the investment IMO

There's a really good thread in the equipment forum that talks about riding and using drones: https://advrider.com/index.php?threads/camera-drones-motorcycles.1288292/
  18. Kingfish

Kingfish Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yep, I've been keeping up on that thread & its definitely got me thinking. And I have not done any riding in SE Oregon. So there's even more reason for me to make the ride north.

Would you stick with the same drone model if you did it over again or would you pick something else?
  19. liv2day

Oddometer:
    I can only speak from experience with the Mavic and the research I did before buying it (picked it up used off eBay for a good deal). I would definitely buy it again, though I might hold out at this point for the Mavic II (rumored to be coming out, but nothing concrete yet). One of my biggest complaints is it's lack of ability to adjust altitude when flying in active track - at least losing altitude. I'd also like to see better tracking in active track - lost me multiple times on my ride. Other than those two minor issues, it's a great drone.

From what I read about the II, it'll have 360 degree obstacle avoidance, faster flying speeds (up to 45mph), longer flight time (33 minutes?), and different cameras (a pro version and something else - need to go back and reread). No pricing as yet, but once it hits, my guess is the original Mavic will be a bargain. If DJI launches it later this year, might be something to think about if you're going to dive into the drone world :D:D
  20. KarmaSect

KarmaSect The Dude Abides

Oddometer:
    Liv2Day -- Question about your (planned) route. I see on Day 3 you were going to go here:

[​IMG]

I'm wondering if you got that routing from someone else who has gone through there? That section of Wild Horse Road is private property so am wondering if it is ok to pass through. Also that is one heck of a climb (just above "Public Waterhose" in the above snippet). I am planning on checking another of the east side Steens accents in September.

Mark.