1st Solo Rip, Remote SE Oregon, & a Drone - Updated w/ Drone Vid

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by liv2day, Jun 28, 2018.

1. liv2day

liv2day Is Anyone Here a Marine Biologist! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hey Mark - Unfortunately, that was where I had to turn around, hit that gate and then found another one on the other side. I waited around for a bit to see if someone might be around so I could ask permission, but nada. That's when I back-tracked to Fields to ask if they had intel on a way to get up to the Steens without slabbing a long way (and then the flats ensued...so I never had the chance).

I didn't see an approach north of the Alvord hot springs, at least one that was on forest land that should be open to us. If you find one, I'd be very interested - still bummed I didn't get a chance to get up on top of the Steens and explore.
  2. KarmaSect

KarmaSect The Dude Abides

Oddometer:
    That is what I figured. Disappointing, as that is the only way up to the top from the east side. There are two other routes on the east side, but both are about 25 miles north, and both put you on the east side of Kiger gorge. In order to get to "the top" from there, you have to go north to Diamond and then go up the west side of the gorge.

Of the two routes on public land, Don and I did one, Juniper Grade, last spring. It was overgrown but not particularly difficult. We will be checking out the other, Stonehouse creek, in a few weeks. I have actual tracks, so previous riders have made it through. However, from looking at the topos, it is a bit of a ball buster. Steep with switchbacks. It will be an adventure.
    Idaho Pakeha likes this.
  3. Austringer

Austringer Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Awesome report. Great info. Me and a buddy leaving on the 11th October from Christmas Valley dirt roads to Plush, then your route to Fields and to meet my son and his friends at ALvord. LONG day it will be. Then off with the gang to Anderson Crossing, Three forks and then back to Christmas Valley. Should be a fun trip if we dont freeze! Thanks Again.
  4. liv2day

Oddometer:
    Thanks @Austringer! Have a great ride and you have to have a milk shake in Fields when you meet your son and his friends. It's a truly incredible place to ride and enjoy, I've been twice and it's an area that keeps calling me back.

A note of caution given the time of year you're going. If there's liquid sunshine involved and the ground is wet, the mud out there can make riding impossible (literally). Two years ago we were caught out by rain and it took us ~3 hours to make it about a mile. It's good to laugh about it now, but we thought we'd have to spend a couple more days out there than planned. Here's a shot from the next day - note that you cannot really see the knobs on the tires - was like riding with slicks on ice for miles and miles.

[​IMG]
  5. Austringer

Austringer Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Live2day. That is REALLY good advise. I know that mud, but I've never ridden a bike in it before, so I wasn't thinking about it. My hope is it dries out enough before we get there that riding is possible. However I'm passing this link to the gang. Mud could make the difference of whether or not we are able to even get to their location. Thanks! Troy
  6. liv2day

Oddometer:
    Glad to help :-)

Are you using the tracks I posted? If so and you're planning to head out of Plush up through Fischer Canyon and then across to Shirk Ranch, etc. - there's a water crossing after you go by Shirk Ranch that you need to be wary of if it's full. It was dry when I went through in July, but it was too deep when we tried the year before and we had to reroute to Hwy 140. That's a good bail-out point and although it means riding a significant amount of pavement to get to Fields, it's better than being stuck in that damn mud :lol3 :lol3 :lol3.

Hopefully, it won't be too full and you'll be able to cross. The ride from Shirk Ranch to Fields is frickin' fantastic, especially the Domingo Pass bit. I opted to skip the section that heads-up from Juniper Spring being solo, be interested to hear how that goes for you (and if I was stoopid to skip...lol).

Safe travels man, I'm envious.
  7. Donefore

Donefore n00b

Oddometer:
    Great ride report! I will be headed out with Austringer and have thrown together a lot of gpx tracks that have been shared on this site. Yours included! Desert Gumbo mud is super sketchy but hopefully it will have been dry for 3 days or so when we get out there.

Either deal with dust or slop... not sure which one is better.

If all goes well on our trip I can post the GPX file.
  8. Donefore

Donefore n00b

Oddometer:
    Do you happen to have the tracks for Juniper Grade and Stonehouse Creek? I would love to add them to my track list in the area!

Thanks,
    Donefore
  9. Austringer

Austringer Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yes, I think were using your tracks...probably passed to me by Donefore. Thanks for the info on water at Shirk Ranch and for the potential bailout option. Were goin for it. I cant flippin wait! Our goal is to make Alvord HS Thursday night. After that, me and my buddy are just following the rest of the pack into the Owyahe sp? country. I spent a lot of time hunting there as a kid with my dad (70's). Should be fun. Thanks again for the great report. Wish I had the time to take pix. Oh...by the way. I fly FPV race drones. Not a mavic so not quite as good for photography, but if you like dirt bikes, I guarantee you'd enjoy a 80 mph acro flight through VR goggles...real time. Troy
  10. Sumbike

Sumbike Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    We tried to make Three Forks Hot Springs and Anderson Crossing from Silver City, ID riding Skull Creek Rd. In late July. Got a bit technical going down to the spring from the west so we bailed then the sharp embedded rocks on the track to Anderson Crossing finally forced a reroute onto smoother road eventually dropping us out on Hwy 95. Would like to hear your thoughts after you ride it. Good luck!

Liv2day this is a great report, pics and vids! Thoroughly enjoyed it! Thanks for taking the time to put it together.

Bob
  11. Donefore

Donefore n00b

Oddometer:
    Sumbike,

Oh boy.... sharp embedded rocks sound like flat tires everywhere... I guess that is why they call it Adventure riding. You can plan and plan and plan and still not account for stuff like that. We will give it a go and I will report back. fairly large group of us (9) going so that could add some difficulty. Most of us are on plated dirt bikes (KTM 350's, 530, 640, 690, Husky 501, and a blue bike...). We are all experienced riders with years and years or tight Tillamook Forest experience so hopefully that helps.

I don't believe we will be riding skull creek north of the springs (to Rome) but instead looping back toward HWY 95 then on toward White Horse.

Donefore
  12. liv2day

Oddometer:
    Thanks @Sumbike! I know I've enjoyed your reports, great to see folks contribute stories, pictures, and videos...especially when the rain is falling and I'm stuck in cubeville...lol.
  13. liv2day

Oddometer:
    @Donefore - are you in the SW PDX area? TSF is my single track stomping ground, I love getting out there to rip around on my little Gas Gas 200 2-stroke.

Have a fantastic time out there. A few friends just did the loop out that way, the trek down to 3 forks hot springs is rideable on smaller bikes and given the list you post, I think you'll be fine. It doesn't sound good for anything bigger than a KLR, pretty rutted and if it's wet, forget about getting back up. I have yet to make it down to the Owyhee River, but will do so one of these days...lol.

Look forward to reading your ride report when you guys are done. The Alvord HS are a great place to kick back. The folks that run it are top-notch, as are the folks that run Fields Station. I love it out there.
  14. LewisNClark

LewisNClark Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Enjoyed your trip. Thanks for sharing...and love the Drone footage.
  15. liv2day

Oddometer:
    Thanks @LewisNClark! Assume you're originally from this neck of the woods given your screen name?

I can't wait to get back out there and ride again, hoping to put something together for June '19. And I'll be packing my drone differently this time - learned a tough lesson in Baja last month :eek7:eek7

It's fantastic riding out there, we're lucky to have access to it.
  16. LewisNClark

LewisNClark Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:

Nope, Atlanta....2,250 miles from you but I traverse the USA that 2,000+ miles every summer to take in your territory. Bitterroots, Idaho and Columbia River are my favorite places. If ever you want to drone over the Lewis and Clark Trail be glad to throw some routes of their campsites your direction.

If you ever need a side trip, Jean Baptist Charbonneau, the 2 month old infant that went on the L&C Expedition is buried out in the desert near Rome, Oregon.
  17. Bob

Bob Formerly H20Pumper

Oddometer:
    Nice report, sorry you had drama... you survived!
  18. Lior520

Lior520 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Great RR @liv2day , I did not explore that area yet but really want to go there.
    I'm riding in TSF a lot, maybe we can go on ride together one of these days.
  19. liv2day

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the comments @Bob and @Lior520! If you guys get a chance, you should really spend 5-7 days out riding around in that section of OR - it's awesome.

I haven't ridden out in TSF since last March and I really miss it. I need to do some work on my little GG and get her ready to ride again, how often to you make it out to the coast range @Lior520?
  20. Lior520

Lior520 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    @liv2day
    SE Oregon is high on my "to ride" list, especially after my TAT trip when I went trough there.
    I leave in Portland so I'll ride the coast range as often as I can.