1st v 2nd gen Tenere

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by futbolover92, May 26, 2020.

Tags:
  1. futbolover92

futbolover92 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi all, considering a S-10 as a low maintenance touring bike that I can use for everyday riding. Looking around there are great deals for 1st gen bikes up to 2013 but I can barely find anything 2014 and on. Is the difference between the two generations that drastic for most people?
  2. steve68steve

steve68steve Long timer

Oddometer:
    You'll get answers from Gen 1 guys saying Gen 2 is a waste of money, and answers from Gen 2 guys saying the upgrade is worth it.

AFAIK, there were a lot of tweaks, different clutch basket, mapping, blah, blah, blah. The one that pushed me over the top was cruise control. I commuted mine on 70 miles of slab for a few years - CC is a must-have, IMO.

If you're considering Gen 1's, you're already looking at 8+ year old bikes, which should be a major bargain. If money doesn't matter, get a new one.
    kmag likes this.
  3. HandCanonShootr

HandCanonShootr Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Had a G1, great bike, sold mine for a song after trying to get $6k for the longest time. By now a G1 should have Valve chk/adj (26/52k), new CC tensioner, possible clutch, asking about these service points, will tell you lots. Final drive fluid was last changed??? Get positives to the above questions, try to pay closer to 4K for a 2012... Good Luck, My used S10 deal was found across the country in Orlando, was a great get-acqainted ride home to LA. They Eat the miles, Texas almost seemed small!!

Mike B
  4. twinrider

twinrider Pass the catnip

Oddometer:
    I owned a Gen I for about 5 years. With a flash and an upgraded Gen II clutch basket it was a nice bike. But I prefer the Gen II's cruise control, integrated dash controls and overall more refined feeling. The electronic suspension also works well. Just boils down to your budget. If you look in the S10 forum's for sale area you might find a deal.
  5. kmag

kmag Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I picked up a 2014 non-ES (was advertised on this site) over the weekend. Only ST I've ridden. Came over from a 2012 v-strom 650. The cruise control is a game changer. Keep looking and be prepared to travel or ship, you'll find something.
  6. fastring

fastring Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I waited for a cheap Gen II rather than going with the Gen I. Glad I waited and found a Gen II for a price that was painless. At the right price, a Gen I would have made sense but for the long trips, the CC is very much worth it for me.
    rauchman likes this.
  7. De-Silva

De-Silva Been around a while....

Oddometer:
    No brainer - Gen 2. After experiencing the cruise control, I will NEVER buy another bike without it.