1X0/60-17 tire vs 1X0/70-17 REAR tire

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by ArtCuisin, Oct 13, 2018.

1. ArtCuisin

ArtCuisin Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Anybody try a higher profile rear tire in pursuit of a more comfortable ride?
    And was it successful?

Thx.
  2. 350Rizzer

350Rizzer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I would check pressure, check suspension, change tire brand before changing size. Increasing rear tire height will decrease rake and trail and make the bike twitchy.
  3. klaviator

klaviator Long timer

Oddometer:
    My dealer ordered a 160/70-17 instead of a 160/60-17 a few years ago and I was getting ready to leave on a trip so I had it installed on my Versys. It lowered the RPMs a bit. It raised the seat slightly and tilted me forward slightly more. I can't say it made the ride smoother or had a significant impact on handling. It did not make the bike twitchy. The tire did last longer than any of the lower profile tires I have had on the bike. I'd say it probably won't hurt to try it but don't expect that much of a difference.
  4. ArtCuisin

ArtCuisin Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yes, twitchiness would not be a concern. I typically raise forks in triple clamps on my bikes a half inch or
    more, and I have even got a longer shock on one of THOSE with no abberant behavior. They always steer
    a lot better.

My stronger concern is that Shinko--my preferred cheap-ass brand of tire--doesn't offer the /70 so
    I would have to spring for a more expensive one from a more expensive brand. For no discernible
    gain, I am unlikely to do that.

Thanks for the information all.
  5. markk53

markk53 jack of all trades...

Oddometer:
    Been there done that! I jacked the rear end up about 2" and went one profile lower on the front, about an inch lower, of a Zephyr 550 to get it to quit steering like a dump truck. It was a shade nervous when I got done, but now it really worked like I wanted. I am so used to the quick handling of my dual sports.
  6. High Country Herb

High Country Herb Adventure Connoiseur

Oddometer:
    I think in theory it would work. With a taller tire, you would have a thicker sidewall. You could reduce pressure by 1-2 psi, and have an even softer ride. You could adjust preload to compensate for suspension height, and even add a tooth to the rear sprocket to correct the gear ratio.

I thought about doing this on my bike to give a little more padding for the cast aluminum rim. I decided not to do it because the OEM 180 tire is already a tight fit in the swingarm. Tires vary slightly by brand, and I was afraid a 190 would rub, or be so close it might rub if it went flat and moved around. That could cause the tire to lock up, which would be even worse than a flat.
  7. Bucho

Bucho DAMNrider

Oddometer:
    In the past I've often run a 70 rather than 60 profile on the rear motard tire for my DR.

The theory was that I'd have a little more cushion/taller profile when I'm out on a "adventure motard" ride and inevitably am going relatively fast on a rocky fire road.
  8. Me and my monkee

Me and my monkee Feels like Jackson Pollock looks

Oddometer:
    About 8 or 9 years ago I got a killer deal on a set of Avon Azaros for my sv650. Cheap like about $100 for the pair, but the rear was a 160/70 rather than the stock 160/60. Rode them I'll until I wore them out, no problems.
  9. slartidbartfast

slartidbartfast Love those blue pipes

Oddometer:
    Southern Louisiana or Southern England or ...
    The bike will be 10% of whatever the tire width is taller at the back. So if you're talking about a 180/70-17, it will be 18mm (or about 3/4") taller. Depending on the bike, this is unlikely to affect handling significantly, although it might. You will probably have less choice in tires and they will be more expensive if you're not using the most common profile. It might also make the tire touch the ground on the centerstand or stand up more on the side stand. Additionally it is unlikely but possible the tire will rub on something the stock size would not have. Finally, I sincerely doubt it would affect comfort noticeably. As someone else noted, the tire type and pressure will make a more noticeable change.

In short, I doubt it will make enough difference to be worth the effort. It probably won't hurt either, but it might.
  10. dddd

dddd Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm more concerned with center wear. On same tire model, I tried 150/70 but went back to 170/60 profile.
    Gained 1000km already, and likely 1000km more to come.
  11. Meriwether

Meriwether Following big footprints.

Oddometer:
    This is interesting. Have you compared the contact patch. My logic suggests the 150/70 would have more contact area resulting in less wear. So much for my logic, perhaps heat played a part.
    I have experimented with trying 170/60 instead of 180/55 and convinced myself it weared better but not definitive proof because they were different makes.
    Cheers, Mark.
  12. dddd

dddd Long timer

Oddometer:
    I wouldn't know how if it wanted to. I'm convinced a lower profile means the side knobs participate a bit more, especially towards end of life.
  13. slartidbartfast

Oddometer:
    I think the OP was talking about just changing the aspect ratio (height of the sidewall), not the width. Therefore, the size and shape of the contact patch should be almost the same for the same model tire with only that difference.
  14. ZappBranigan

ZappBranigan Still Riding

Oddometer:
    When I went to street tires on the Scrambler I went from the factory 130/80/17 to a 130/90/17 because the tire was not available in the 130/80 size. Fit fine, I never noticed any difference in the ride.

EDITED TO ADD: The one difference it made was that when I put the bike on the center stand, the wheel touched the ground. So if I wanted to oil the chain, I'd just put the center stand feet on a piece of 1/2" plywood, then I could rotate the tire freely.
    murin likes this.
  15. dddd

dddd Long timer

Oddometer:
    No, contact path will be narrower with a higher profile, hence the faster center wear.
  16. slartidbartfast

Oddometer:
    I think you'd be hard-pressed to measure the difference.
  17. dddd

dddd Long timer

Oddometer:
    euh read the thread. post #10. about 2000km more.
  18. slartidbartfast

Oddometer:
    You went with different WIDTH tires. Read the thread. The question was about changing aspect ratio only. e.g. using a 150/80-17 instead of a 150/70-17
  19. dddd

dddd Long timer

Oddometer:
    I gave recommendations to not go higher profile and gave a reason.
    Besides, there are no knobbies 160/60 or 150/60 in the 17" that I know of.
  20. slartidbartfast

Oddometer:
    The aspect ratio is the second number. It's in the thread title and the first post: "1X0/60-17 tire vs 1X0/70-17 REAR tire". The OP has a choice between 60 and 70 aspect ratios for the same tire. FWIW, I agree with you that going taller is not a great idea but THAT was the question.