1. Hey everyone, We’re going to start a weekly email to surface interesting threads in the forums. No worries, you can easily unsubscribe if you don’t find it interesting. If you’re like me, it’s nice to have someone willing to poke around a big community like ours and find the most interesting stuff. Saves time and I hate missing something great. It worked really well when we had someone discovering the best photos for the home page rotation back in the day. And if you have something fascinating to post, maybe this email does everyone some good by getting it noticed. Let us know what you think when you get it. Your feedback will make it better as we go (thread). Thanks! Baldy & rudy1220
    Dismiss Notice

1X0/60-17 tire vs 1X0/70-17 REAR tire

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by ArtCuisin, Oct 13, 2018 at 7:27 PM.

1. ArtCuisin

ArtCuisin Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Anybody try a higher profile rear tire in pursuit of a more comfortable ride?
    And was it successful?

Thx.
  2. 350Rizzer

350Rizzer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I would check pressure, check suspension, change tire brand before changing size. Increasing rear tire height will decrease rake and trail and make the bike twitchy.
  3. klaviator

klaviator Long timer

Oddometer:
    My dealer ordered a 160/70-17 instead of a 160/60-17 a few years ago and I was getting ready to leave on a trip so I had it installed on my Versys. It lowered the RPMs a bit. It raised the seat slightly and tilted me forward slightly more. I can't say it made the ride smoother or had a significant impact on handling. It did not make the bike twitchy. The tire did last longer than any of the lower profile tires I have had on the bike. I'd say it probably won't hurt to try it but don't expect that much of a difference.
  4. ArtCuisin

ArtCuisin Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yes, twitchiness would not be a concern. I typically raise forks in triple clamps on my bikes a half inch or
    more, and I have even got a longer shock on one of THOSE with no abberant behavior. They always steer
    a lot better.

My stronger concern is that Shinko--my preferred cheap-ass brand of tire--doesn't offer the /70 so
    I would have to spring for a more expensive one from a more expensive brand. For no discernible
    gain, I am unlikely to do that.

Thanks for the information all.
  5. markk53

markk53 jack of all trades...

Oddometer:
    Been there done that! I jacked the rear end up about 2" and went one profile lower on the front, about an inch lower, of a Zephyr 550 to get it to quit steering like a dump truck. It was a shade nervous when I got done, but now it really worked like I wanted. I am so used to the quick handling of my dual sports.