Separate names with a comma.
Discussion in 'Some Assembly Required' started by micksouthere, Feb 3, 2012.
more and more swarf was thrown away to produce stuff
and the stuff got smarter and smarter...just like you see on superbikes in paddocks with huge trucks and huge budgets...the MWG went crazy...arms were a blur...programmes were programmed and stuff got creamy with goodness
Not only were inserts being machined so trail can be adjusted but swing arm eccentrics were cleverly ecentric
All of my lovely blocks of billet were swallowed into mill like lathe turning fabricating machining machines and bits were spat out...I looked at the 38 bales of swarf...110 parts of billet were machined to put this thing together
It soon became apparent that we would have to assembly this thing for bodywork and then all the niggly oh fuck moments when you find it just won't fit happen.
Monster turbo was slotted in with radiator to make sure front wheel didn't smash them all to bits once I hit the anchors rather smartishly...and if there is one thing about making stuff go quick, then its a whole new ball game slowing it down without everything falling into a crumpled heap.
The postman turned up with more juicy bits...heavier yet so so needed
and those little monoblocs were gonna bite really hard onto these
meanwhile underneath the tank work was now darker than dark with black magic as the turbo fairies added more and more injectors and pipes and pumps and fuel lines and more fuel lines and computers and more computers, knowing cleverness was at its best as the turbo plumber plumbed. I threw carbon bodywork on cos it looked pretty and was really light and easy to remove when turbo plumber glared at me cos I was in the way with all my bits that were just soooo lovely.
Once everything was in place and worked, wheels turned, steering heads steered, suspension suspended it cam to that wonderful part of any bike build when you rip it all apart down to its smallest part and the painters and anodize-rs and colour merchants get to play and strut their stuff. So it all ends up looking like this
but I did sneak in one shot before all the bolts were unbolted
Finally when all of the bits are back together...and the MWG would hear none of my whining about " I can just slot these together..." All of the bits were back and we started all over again.
KTM fanatics settle down its actually a red frame, why it looks orange under the workshop lights I have no idea...but it is red..you'll see
Cool clever German gauge "tell me I'm over revving it" stuff was bolted in and wired up
Noisy whistling things that sit up front and make your eyes open wider than physically possible and your rear shit blood when you hit full noise were slotted back into their rightful place
more fuel lines were added...then more...then very hollow short pipes that made me giggle
Then the same engine and turbo unit were bolted together and strapped down onto a quivering dyno, just to see whether there really was enough fuel lines on there...had we got our sums right...nasty kills millions of brain cells with one snort fuel was poured into the top...boost was dialed in at a modest 18psi. I looked on as the genius plumber of turbo's grinned and laughed and made it all very very noisy. He did this three times... He seemed satisfied.
There's no way on God's earth am I ever riding that thing he smirked (The genius turbo plumber does the quarter in 7secs, no wheelie bars) and we all looked on at the immortal bit of paper
A few more bits and pieces were added just to make it genuine, we left about 5 litres of fuel in it and stuck it on the giant you eat too many cheeseburger weighing machine. 175.9kgs as you see it here
I know there would be more weight if I put a couple of lights and a number plate on it but we got our goal...2:1
and just one more for the camera