2-4 day Route recommendations - starting from Ottawa

Discussion in 'Canada' started by RobP, May 9, 2020.

1. RobP

RobP Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi,

Looking for a few recommendations for 2-4 day rides starting from the Ottawa area. Looking for rides that are a combination of secondary highways/dirt roads/forest access roads.

My wife and I would be riding together - she on her F650GS. She has been riding for a good number of years, mostly road and also some novice off-road on trail bikes in the Calabogie area (comfortable riding standing up, crossing small streams, etc.). I'm comfortable on most any terrain. Ideally, the days would involve at most 4 hours with a destination that would have some opportunities for hiking, etc. at the end. For accommodations open to either camping, or motels, cabins, etc.

I was thinking perhaps
    - Northeast US states heading towards Maine
    - eastern townships of Quebec

Any recommendations/suggestions?

Thanks!
  2. Vikingtazz

Vikingtazz Will ride for food.

Oddometer:
    RobP, BoGaRa and Skootz Kabootz like this.
  3. JimmieA

JimmieA Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I really like the Gaspe in Quebec. You could go up the north shore, take a ferry across the river, do the Gaspe and burn it back on Hw#20/30 to make time. There are a couple interior roads in the Gaspe and the ones I took I liked lots.
    Meet@Trudys, RobP and MGG like this.
  4. Old fool

Old fool Road rider

Oddometer:
    What Jimmie said - the Gaspe is fantastic - just dress warmly on the coastal parts.
  5. JimmieA

JimmieA Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    There are interior roads East-West in New Brunswick. There is the Mount Carleton area included in this. These roads are not awe inspiring and are pretty rough pavement in many cases but something different to see. Lots of places to wilderness camp and almost no one lives there. The Saint John River valley north south is pretty nice in N.B. as well. These small local roads are not fast going, mostly older roads replaced by the 4 lane road (TCH) but are kept up to a point.
  6. BuiltnotBought

BuiltnotBought Perpetual Project

Oddometer:
    Have you looked up graveltravel.ca? Being in Ottawa you could explore the TCAT both to the east and to the west. There are some more challenging sections but most of it is really fun. If you check out MasonsADV on the Tube he did the whole section from Ottawa to North Bay on a KLR650. I did it a a few years back on a DRZ400, most of it could be done on big bikes but I would advise against the more technical sections if you not up for a real challenge on a big bike.

Also, once the border opens back up look up the NEBDR, it winds down through the New England states and though I have not ridden it yet it does look like it will be a lot of fun and may match your skill level well. The New England states are beautiful to ride. https://ridebdr.com/nebdr/
  7. bigmo

bigmo The Great White North

Oddometer:
    If you're keen to wait until the border opens (expected late June), the NE BDR will be hard to beat. I'm working on an easy connector to both ends from Ottawa using backroads as much as possible.
    Meet@Trudys likes this.
  8. Meet@Trudys

Meet@Trudys Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Keep me posted on that connector, I am looking to steal someone and go check it out down there next year.