2 Aprilia's do the southwest

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by xdbx, May 15, 2007.

1. xdbx

xdbx Motorcycle Connoisseur

Oddometer:
    Beware riders, this might possibly be the greatest ride report of all time…

Haha yea right! Get real. For serious though, this was a ride of a lifetime for me. Here’s a decent write up of it

The trip had been in the works since last November. Being from Michigan, I have that kind of time… haha. I became familiar with streets and trips, google earth, and I pre-rode this route at least 23 times before I left in may. Im a geek, whatever. Read carefully, I”ll give you many little tid bits that will help you plan your trips similar or different, as my repayment to you all for doing it for me! Thank you thank you thank you. Enjoy…

[​IMG]

That was the initial plan. I later learned that regardless for my love for planning everying ( and I mean everything ) out, there’s no point. Something will happen, go awry... like a tornado leveling a city in kansas... and you’ll be left high and dry in the middle of new mexico with an atlas and a sad face… but that comes later :evil
  2. xdbx

Oddometer:
    So lets start at the beginning shall we? I set up my schedule as best I could so that out great adventure began after my finals week, and I arrived back just before my summer classes began, of course I had to be on the road as much as possible…. Wow did that make things interesting. More on that later…

Being my first long trip, I did the research (thanks guys), and had a comprehensive tool kit put together into 1 saddlebag. Unfortuately I had to use it, so I’m REALLY glad all this stuff was there.

[​IMG]

Can’t forget all those clothes either!!!

[​IMG]

and you don’t go cross country without going ATGATT!!!!

[​IMG]
  3. GB

GB . Administrator Super Moderator Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Oh yeah!! :thumb

:lurk
  4. xdbx

Oddometer:
    Day 0.5

Start: East Lansing Michigan
    End: Muncie, Indiana

After waking up pretty early for a 7:45 am final, I felt fairly confident about it. Some tricky problems, and some awkward ass arrangement of the coordinate axis on an impact problem left me feeling pooped. What better way then to hit the road for 11 days? Yea, that’s what I said!

Now I hopped on, packed up what things I hadn’t had in the bags already, and I hit the road. I just took I69 south from East Lansing all the way to Muncie, Indiana. There, I would stay with a very good friend of mine by the name of Margaret. She’s a delightful friend, and was my seat partner when I marched a season with a Drum and Bugle Corps in ‘05.

[​IMG]

But hey, poor Margaret couldn’t wait around with, ball state university needed her. Infact, she had to go lookin pretty, for she had a graduation to walk!

[​IMG]

My first real adventure began shortly before. Being a college kid, I knew how bikes and college town drunkards don’t mix. SO, up the bike went near the house. A rainy night led to an interesting trek down this “hill” down the still-wet grass.

[​IMG]

I made it, so I’m ready to leave this chicken shack, lets head west!

[​IMG]
  5. xdbx

Oddometer:
    Day 1

Start: Muncie, Indiana
    End: Olathe, Kansas

After leaving Muncie, I knew I had my first big day ahead of me. Roughly 580 miles of the worlds greatest slab of concrete… thanks Eisenhower.

I started early, waking up with Margaret at 7:00am after a restless night of rain and wishing everything would go well. I stopped just out of Indianapolis for some gas and grub.

Gas:

[​IMG]

Grub:

[​IMG]

My Pretty bike… look, it doesn’t even need me on it to show off! :lol3

[​IMG]

A little while later, I stopped for my first real state sign. A semi passerby ALMOST tipped the bike, becareful out there!

[​IMG]

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz… oh sorry, I’m just thinking about driving that stretch… haha

Anyways, a little while later, I came up on a nice purple goldwing. I passed him and then thought about how lonely I was, so slowed up, and got behind him. He gave me a wave, and we continued on for a hundred+ miles. I believe by that time, we were about half way across the state towards St. Louis, and I pulled up next to him. I’m not really sure why I felt so awkward doing so, but I quickly got over it after he gave me a thumbs up. I contorted myself around and pointed at the gas tank, and he nodded. Next exit, we ran up to the BP, and chatted for a little, where I was able to snap this:

[​IMG]

What a cool guy! Keith said he wasn’t on any of the forums, but if you see this purple goldwing zipping around Cleveland, give him a hearty thumbs up for me!

From there, I left Keith blaze the way to St. Louis with his radar dectector, and on and on we shot. From there, he pulled off, and I kept going for a little and pulled off for more gas.

Now I forgot to include something about this morning… when arriving at the mcdonalds, I got my food and sat down to munch noticing there were flat panel tv’s on both walls. I saw some terrible things on the tv (CNN), and when I saw the subtitle read Kansas, I leapt out of my seat! They were showing footage of the city I would be driving through the next day. At this point, I started sweating bullets and finished up real quick to get on the road again.

I had been in contact with servicerifle for a little while previous to the trip, and was able to utilize his help in calling ahead and hearing weather and so on. I did so a little north of St. Louis, and decided to forgoe seeing the arch and head straight for Kansas City in hopes to make it before any of the big stuff started coming down.. Oh what a mistake. It was a tthis gas station that I changed into jeans, insulated pants, heated vest, turtle neck, hoodie, and insulation under the jacket. I mean, I was ready for some hail or crazyness… but when I cross the Mississippi… someone turned on the FURANCE!

[​IMG]

I had to get a little record of this.. knowing it would go up in the next few days...
    [​IMG]

I had to stop to take it all off again, screw the rain! I eventually made it to Joe’s house in Olathe, a suburb of Kansas City on the Kansas side, and we hit it off well. What a fun time meeting people on forums in person, they just welcome you into their home, show you around, and instantly, you’re FAMILY. It was truly great.

I even got a taped off area in the garage!!!

[​IMG]

It was at that time I forgot to carry my camera around, but I wanted to take my dads advice and explore Kansas City’s famous Steakhouses. I was told it was the gateway to the farms, and in old times, all the cattle used to come through that city. I got the recommendation to go to the Golden Ox, and Joe quickly confirmed it.

The aftermath was a $30+ steak, but it really was one of the best steaks I’ve ever laid my eyes on, let alone…. Put in mah belly!!!!!!! Big thumbs up for that, it’s a little hard to find, but do it! If you’re not into steak, try the Savoy Grill for salmon.

Anyways, shortly after getting back, and sweating more bullets about the impressive weather that was headed our way, I realized 600 miles that day was no joke, and I hit the sack hard. I figured I’d just wake up in the morning and figure it out. I don’t think joe understood why I was so tired…. But ah well! haha
  6. xdbx

Oddometer:
    Day 2
    Start: Olathe, Kansas
    End: Colorado Springs, Colorado

After a surprisingly good slumber, I awoke to Joe showering, and I got up and looked out the window. Sure enough, it was pouring. Not the kind that you couldn’t ride through, but raining pretty hard none the less. I got my things together and waited for Joe to finish up. We made some calls, and got the overall consensus that the worst weather was still to come. It was a difficult decision, but we decided to put the bikes in the back of his pickup and head out through the brunt of it, in hopes that Colorado Springs would have the sun when we got there. Boy were we ever wrong about that one…. Anyways, onto the pictures!!!!!!!

We found this delightful loading dock in a nearby target or something similar, and backed the truck up there… the rain was off and on, and very weird, but we just trusted all the things we heard were right.

[​IMG]

Joe was a fan of secure tieing down…not something I’m familiar with, but we all learn new things eh? Joe was a handi man for sure. He could have built a house out his garage probably. A few minutes later, he had a little chock fabbed up and ready to go.

[​IMG]

tada!

[​IMG]

Then we ran the bikes over one by one and loaded them. Beautiful weather huh?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now before you go on giving us shit about this, just keep reading!

Shortly after the bikes were loaded… the rain STOPPED. I’m talking sunny clear sky’s stopped. Oh well, we did it anyways, might as well get on with it. By the time we left it was 1:00 pm and we had 550+ miles to drive, but we had some fun anyways!

My question is, how do we ever fit this much junk on our motorcycles? It was a filling up the cab in the pickup for goodness sake!

Joes Load:

[​IMG]

My Load:

[​IMG]

Onwards!!!!

[​IMG]

Before the highway… we got some good ol’ grub!

Before:

[​IMG]

After:

[​IMG]

Looking out at a sad sight on a motorcycle trip…

[​IMG]

Hey… welcome to colorful Colorado!

[​IMG]

now pose for the cameraaaaaaaaa:

[​IMG]

Good riddance you bastards!

[​IMG]

… more coming!
  7. xdbx

Oddometer:
    Day 3:

Start: Colorado Springs, Colorado
    End: We weren’t really sure, USA

Good morning Colorado Springs… The super 8 sucked. I was really disappointed at the service and everything. It was just bland, really blah, whatever.

When we came out, there was a little of the snow we drove through last night. Yea, I forgot to mention that one. We got off 70 in limon at nightfall, and it snowed terribly all the way to co springs. It sucked hardcore. The snow started sticking and I got sadder and sadder. I saw my hours and hours of planning dwindling away, but I knew servicerifle would save the day!

Here when we came out, you can see the remants of the snow, but you can also be with me when I got my first glimse of the great rockies I missed the night before!!

[​IMG]

We got in the car, and gave steve a call. He agreed to meet us for breakfast, thanks steve!, and we were off to find him. If you don’t know about steve’s travel, he was out from North Carolina on his own voyage, and was on a bike only. He was a little snowed/chilled in, so we offered to drive, no worries, especially for all the help he had provided with weather and what to do so far!

On the way to his house, we realized you’d be hardpressed to get a bad view in Colorado Springs…

[​IMG]

Finally made it there… not really finally, it was easy to find, buy my suspense was building. Let me explain. It’s a phenomenon that actors often complain about infact. They become so famous that their entire lives become public. Take Ewan or Charlie from long way round for example. If you met him on the street, you’d talk to him as if he was your friend for a long time, ask him how the kids were and all. Well, imagine what that must be like form his point of view. I was worried about doing this to Steve, but alas, he was instant cool as soon as the bell rang and the door opened!

[​IMG]

Steve took us down to the local greasy spoon and it was my time in such a joint. How delightful! I thoroughly enjoyed my meal… and my stomach did too for the time being.. but oh dear. I was through. Anyways:

My yum yums!

[​IMG]

Steverino’s good good yum yums!

[​IMG]

Joe’s Yum Yum’s

[​IMG]

ADV salute!

[​IMG]

The aftermath:

[​IMG]

Unfortunately, Steve let us in on some bad news during the wonderful breakfast..., my great plans of going right through the front range was shattered. Infact, monarch pass had a chain requirement, so there was no way we could get bikes through, and we were advised to go down south and try to go across those mountains. I did get this sweet picture though:

[​IMG]

Now you’ve got to understand if you’ve never been there, this stuff is HUGE. I’ve never experienced someone telling me point blank, you CAN NOT get across these mountains. I have no idea what that’s like, but I got a pretty good picture over the next few hours. We went south into new mexico in hopes to dump the truck there and continue on to moab where we were hoping to get that night. Oh dear…

[​IMG]

Not real inviting eh? Yea, that’s what I said. It was chilly that morning, and we just began heading south. I was really bummed out that my great bike trip was turning out to be a flop, but I needed to start to learn, hey, a bike trip will NEVER go the way you planned it. Just set a guideline and get the heck outta town. That’s it! So, I just enjoyed the view from the passenger seat and we headed down I-25 into new mexico. Note, there’s a pass there too, up to ~8,000 miles, just nothing like the 12,000+ ones in Colorado. So, south we headed.

High above the pass, we pulled over the state line, and some hilarity ensued.

[​IMG]

What more do you need than some fucking chili’s to make you big and STRONG!!!!

[​IMG]

hahhahah.. yea, that’s what I said. Joe’s the man. Look at the ground. Sunny… its all making us feel terrible for taking the truck, so the first city we see, Raton, We dump the truck and unload the bikes.

Now lets play a little game…. Shall we? You know you’re in the mountains when _________?

How about this.

[​IMG]

Holy shit! That’s a jeep alright. Excellent, lets get the bikes off and go see some crazy mountains eh?

Bikes came off with little to no trouble.

[​IMG]

Unfortunately, the mountain air played a number on my bike, and all power was lost anywhere near idle. I noticed this when it stalled repeatedly even when warm reving from idle. I got worried, since we had trailered through some intense stuff, so I rode around the block a few times. It didn’t get any better, so I ran up the hill and back. Just maybe 300 feet from the truck. Gravity got the best of me, and down she went. She took out the mirror and my shifter linkage.

I felt like SUCH a dumbass. I tried to get a pic, but a little Suzuki 4x4 of some sort pulled up and like 8 mexicans got out and helped me pick it up. What nice people, I liked new Mexicans, but not the mountain air….

I noticed down the street, there was a honda dealership, so I went in and asked. They were all imbicils. Raton New mexico, Honda dealership on main street. Don’t EVER go there. They said their mechanic was out to lunch, and to wait… after half an hour of “he’s supposed to be back by now”, I went across the street to an auto mechanic. He I had him drill out the ball socket and threaded part that sheared, and it was hardened. I had fun watching his drill bit just melt and ignite. I gave him money for a new one, and put it all together with a cotter pin. That was Joe’s idea, and he’s probably right for saying ti would outlast the rest of the bike in wear and tear. I was impressed. Totally ticked about ruining our day farther, and about my bike still not running right at the beginning of another 3000+ miles in the remote-est places of the USA, but what could I do. In the adventurer spirit, I put my finger in the air and we blasted the heck outta there.

Dumbass:

[​IMG]

What have I done? All wadded up. Note the ductape. It’s actually still surviving RIGHT NOW.

[​IMG]

Shifter Linkage:

[​IMG]

Modded mirror:

[​IMG]

Having finally headed out of town, and being so angry at myself, the next little while didn’t have any pictures associated with it. Sorry, aggravation got the best of me. We did stop at a little bridge my gps called “rio grande”. Not sure what it is, but when I looked over the side, I remembered what “grande” means.

Parking:

[​IMG]

and Joe with his “chicks dig me” hat:

[​IMG]

and again with some cute aprilia ass:

[​IMG]

here’s the bridge we had just ridden over:

[​IMG]

and the rio grande (of new mexico?)

[​IMG]

Going on from there, we had been warned of “Angels Pass” going east on 64 through new mexico. What a fluff that was. I didn’t realize we were doing a pass even, until we got to the next big city, I believe taos, and I was like…where was that part that was supposed to be hard? It was pretty cool though, north new mexico is NOT flat like I had imagined. The rockies really do go from north near Alaska to well into mexico.

A few hours later, we did come to a pass that was quite frigid. The thing was that it wasn’t expected. There wasn’t a mention of it on the map, and the snow just started appearing out of nowhere!

[​IMG]

I looked again, and my temp guage read 41. Yikes! I’m surprised I hadn’t notice I was getting cold, because when I got off for these pictures, I nearly shivered myself from standing.

If you can find this sign, you’ll find where we were. GREAT roads and amazingly spectacular views.

[​IMG]

There was a sign shortly after this next picture that read summit.

What happened next was beyond my wildest dreams… Let me paint you a mental picture, since I haven’t got any photos to even begin to describe it for you all.

We were coming down from the before mentioned picture’s summit, and things were getting a little spirited. Joe was behind me, and I was perhaps 2 bike lengths ahead. I had come around a hairpin, and goosed it through 2 gears enjoying the surge and the wind under my chin. It was dusk, but for some reason, I wasn’t any more alert than I usually am, maybe less so thinking about what all happened today. I then saw a deer on the side of the road. I was way way way too late to do anything, and I saw him begin to dart across from the left shoulder the LONG way around me. What a retarted forest rat. What I once again failed to realize, was that he would easily get past me, as would the OTHER one behind him, but the 3rd was on a collision path with me, and the 4th, 5th and 6th hiding behind all of them were destined for Joe’s front cowling. I was probably doing about 50 and I tensed up so tight I could have bent steel with my butt cheeks! Well like I said, the first and second made it past just fine, and the third I was CONVINCED was going to hit me. They were running in what looked like single file, and my right mirror almost tagged the 2nd one in the tail, so you can imagine how close I was. It was all slow motion memory for me, so I can recall this fairly well. I remember seeing the 3rd little guy start to leap up and I ducked down to my right so his front legs wouldn’t hit me in the shoulder. At this point I was saying “awwwwwww maan” because I thought I was going to loose my left mirror AGAIN… but he just missed it. The rest I got from Joe’s account, since he was behind me to see the whole thing.

He had seen then far before, and had been slowing down and honking to get them away. He said the third one began to leap over me, and somehow MIRACULOUSLY kicked its hind legs way up and over to clear my top box. He must have realized we’d both be screwed if there was an impact. After it was all over, I pulled over and it took a good few minutes to begin breathing again normally. It was the most unbelieveable thing and it all happened so fast. Becareful up there, or anywhere, and don’t EVER get to taking your clear road for granted. I did, and it ALMOST took me down in the middle of nowhere… literally.

That was long winded… now more pictures!

We got to a little city named Chama just as the sky was really turning black, and we were able to find a delightful motel with a lady that gave us the winter rate. $55 gave us a great room and a fabulous dinner recommendation down the road. More hilarity insues there… keep tuned!

Down at the diner… Joe gets friendly with some of the locals..

[​IMG]

hahahhahahhahahahhahhahaha. I mean that quite literally.

This completely drunk new Mexican rancher came up to Joe, and I mean hammered off her balls, and demanded a ride. Best line of the trip came just shorly after.

*slurred* “Kmonnnn maaaaaan, gimme a ride just down there, I wana go real fast. Yea real real fast, take me fast baby yea!... awww kmon, kmon man I’ll give you ass for it, real good ass, kmon take a look”

You be the judge:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I mean she was one think son of a gun… she almost took him down as she sat down. I still commend you for keeping her upright joe!

[​IMG]

Just for the record. She forgot what the rear pegs were for, she just let them hang there…haha!

Went in and ordered some delicious food as per the recommendation of the waitress.

Salad:

[​IMG]

and seafood/pasta for me:

[​IMG]

and for joe… some MEATLOAF!!!!!

[​IMG]

The room was great, and I made a quick job of destroying its homey appearance with my luggage:

[​IMG]

mah bags!

[​IMG]

River bend INN in chama, NM

[​IMG]

dual futura wheelie action

[​IMG]

looking over my damage again the next morning…

[​IMG]

and a summary of the day:

[​IMG]

how about a hand for these proud mo-fo’s. They just survived one heck of a day!

[​IMG]
  8. xdbx

Oddometer:
    Day 4:
    Start: Chama, New Mexico
    End: Torrey, Utah
    Note: This day would eventually put us back on schedule with the sacrifice of Arches National Park in Moab.

What a wonderful place to sleep! A great nights rest, a shower as quirky as a bmw, and we were off! No breakfast here, we wanted to blaze new trails. The gas station gave me a free pack of gum for getting gas there… you know you’re in the middle of nowhere when __________. Haha.

See ya chama!

[​IMG]

Hello Colorado!

[​IMG]

The plan was to run through to cortez, CO by the aprilia dealer there and see if they could tell me what was up with my throttle hesitation. IT wasn’t getting any worse, but did get better as we came down in elevation, or worse when we went up.

It seemed like as soon as we crossed into Colorado, some amazing views came into sight. To see what I mean, look at these next pics. We just walked up from the state line and sign literally just over the hill there.

[​IMG]

and saw this!

[​IMG]

This was kinda neat in my eyes..

[​IMG]

We just went up here

[​IMG]

and got this

[​IMG]

hehe.

Kept riding a bit and went through Durango. What a cool little town, but we’d be back, so we didn’t stop too long.

Ridin along baby… gimme the open road!

[​IMG]

and get outta my way!

[​IMG]

Shortly after, I started a tradition that would last the trip. We stopped for gas, and I got a nosebleed.

[​IMG]

a mild one, done in a few minutes, but we needed a rest, so I got comfy.

Joe kept dicking with his gadgets:

[​IMG]

and I kept snapping photos

[​IMG]

After getting to cortez, I stopped to enter the address of the dealership in my gps. I just happened to park next to my dream bike. If you want to trade, send me a message!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

sexy sexy. Good job bmw, I never cease to be impressed with your products!

By then I twas time for some breakfast, so we munched.

[​IMG]

and joe wore his nipple shirt again.

[​IMG]

The dealership was a joke. They had some aprilias on the floor, a tuono, an rsvr, a caponord, but they hadn’t a clue about them, and refused to even try. They’re response was “well if it was a snowmobile or a 4 wheeler, heck I could take it all apart for ya”. Yea, thanks but no thanks buddy. So, we gave them a shot of our asses and hit the road!

[​IMG]

What a great view huh? I love Colorado….

Not much longer, and one of these guys popped up!

[​IMG]

yaaaaaay!!!!

[​IMG]

Joe made himself look like a dick head.

[​IMG]

heh.

I got a picture with a giant phallus

[​IMG]

got some shots of massive roadwork projects on 191

[​IMG]

weird burrowed holes in the famous red rock faces.

[​IMG]

Me giving a totally gay face

[​IMG]

and driving in to some pretty lit utah.

[​IMG]

I was enjoying myself emmensely, we were out of the rockies, my bike was revving closer ot normal (note we were still 3000’ above sea level and Michigan is 400’).

Cant you see I’m smiling?

[​IMG]

pretty rock!

[​IMG]

and a little outside moab, the sun’s rays cast some neat shadows to look at

[​IMG]

zoom zoom guys gotta get those miles in!

[​IMG]

kmon try it. Say vroom when you look at it

[​IMG]

We finally made it past moab, absolutely blazed a flaming path across that little section of 70, and then down 12. I really cant imagine how that was possible. We didn’t pass that many cars, and the semis weren’t going by that fast either, but I didn’t see my speedo go under 80 from onramp to offramp. Crazy joe….

We eventually made it down 12 to hatch for some gas. The gas station there was cool as heck!

There were pumps:

[​IMG]

boats?

[​IMG]

and a BIG hole in the wall!

[​IMG]

going back to the bathroom

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

looking back

[​IMG]

and joe continueing the tradition I forgot at this stop

[​IMG]

Note: The first part of 12 was prett much flat open nothing nowhere. If you were lucky, you got to watch fence posts fly by. So… I explored the upper ranges of my throttle hand. With the bags on and all, I kept it open for a good 4 or 5 minutes. That was a consistent 129, shown in the gps readout here for the days route

[​IMG]

We finally pulled into torrey JUST as it got pitch dark. It was cool, because it wad ark everwhere, and we absolutely blasted through capitol reef. I mean dragging pegs type of stuff, in the dusk. Probably not the smartest idea, but it was one of the highlights of the trip.

A lady in town hooked us up with a half an dhalf pizza. I was hungry, so I was the one that ruined the pizza for the pic… sowwy!

[​IMG]

We stayed at the wonderland inn. Unforunately the hot tub heater was busted, but everyone there was delightful. We wished the front desk lady good luck with the baby she was lugging around in her tummy, and went to our room for the night. It was nice, and I slept like a baby. Apparently joe called about a guy supposedly breaking into a car just outside our window. Then called back saying he just locked it with keys. Wish I would have been awake for that one…hah.

Great time so far! And the best is yet to come. Please stay tuned, and give me feedback. I’ve got to go out for dinner now, but I’ll keep writing when I get back!
  9. KHVol

KHVol Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    You're killing me..I gotta get back out there...
  10. Dru

Dru Hardly an Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Good report man! Love those Aprilias! Let's see more!:clap
  11. pike

pike Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    :ear More please!
  12. xdbx

Oddometer:
    Day 5:

Start: Torrey, Utah
    End: Jacob Lake, Arizona

Alright… where were we? Ah yes, this day was definitely good. Today, Joe and I discovered one of those hidden jewls that people always talk about. Ya know, the thing that the locals take for granted, but just absolutely astounds you. I’ll let you all in on it if you promise to keep it as sacred as it should be. This road takes you through some of the most intimate terrain, I say that because when you go down this short ~40 mile jaunt, you forget your on a bike trip. At times, you think youre an eagle, flying along the ridge of a canyon, sometimes just hoving above white sands, and sometimes in a rainforest, covered with a canopy of trees. Alright, if you’ve given me your word to do so, keep reading, otherwise, please skip on to day 6.

Alright, so onto it. We woke up in Torrey and got a ridiculously late start. I think I tmust have been like 10 or 11 when we finally hit the road. A little weird, from the things we heard. We were what is essentially desert territory. So arid, there were no tumble weeds type of arid. There were just the plants that survived because osama couldn’t bomb them out, and then there was red rock and dirt. That’s it. It was glorious infact, and this type of landscape is what I planned the trip around infact. I’d like to live in this area, the southwest rather, and I wanted this trip to be a somewhat overview of what was out there. I hope to make it out again, and see the sights I missed, but moreso discover more of a specific area. After today, it would have been utah, BY FAR. So, lets get on with it shall we?

The wonderland Inn was wonderful, here’s us getting ready that morning.

[​IMG]

by then, we had an absolutely ungodly amount of bug guts and goo oozing from the front of our bikes. Joe cleaned his every once and again. Mine remained completely virgin. See if you can tell the difference:

Bugs Galore:

[​IMG]

Joes Insect farm:

[​IMG]

just the amazing scenery made you feel like someone cut and paste this nice motel in the middle of a movie on mars!

[​IMG]

Another:

[​IMG]

Now… for a little lesson on utah geography. Much of the state is like the above, known for its red desert sand and rock, but there are some very very vast forests and mountains. Infact you can see that in some pics earlier, but today, we would be going along, above, and over one of the better ones to get to escalante and boulder and on south on 12 past Bryce canyon. I’m not sure what the elevation was at the summit road, but my memory is bringing me a 9000’ figure. I mean, it was cold considering on the “ground” it was in the 80’s.

Here I am looking out at an overlook about half way up.

[​IMG]

Pretty cool if you ask me, one of the RV drivers we blew by offered to take a picture and was very nice to us. *sigh*

[​IMG]

Here was a sight from that outlook looking out to the horizon and the beautiful morning

[​IMG]

The bikes awaiting the road ahead!

[​IMG]

Now I apologize for not getting more photos of the mountain pass and such, but you know the drill, it was fun, I forgot, and besides, it would just be taking up space with respect to this crown jewel we found.

It was about this time that we pulled into this GREAT town called Boulder (that’s boulder utah, not boulder Colorado)

I wanted one of those classic little shack on the side of the road photo’s I see on the epic reports overseas, and this is as close as we could get:

[​IMG]

The lady working it was very nice, probably in her 60’s or 70’s, maybe 80’s, but she came and pointed us where to go for some good munchin, and admired our bikes. Thumbs up to you lady!

Later on, we found the famed “Hell’s backbone grill”.

[​IMG]

They serve up a mean breakfast and dinner, but unfortunately we got there during lunchtime. We did meet one of the owners

[​IMG]

who had a secret collection of heart shaped rocks all over the restaurant

[​IMG]

and advised us our bikes would be safe here

[​IMG]

and she would watch over them personally. She was something else, and quite cute if I may say so myself. Possibly the nicest person we met that day or the trip infact. She told us which other restaurants were open, and which to totally avoid. She also told us all about the Burr Trail, ie UT 1668. This was the crown jewel. Treat it carefully, its probably one of many like it, but something very special to be cherished for time to come. She told us exactly where the best places were to stop and hike, bridges, where to watch out for gravel (there wasn’t any), what each landmark ment, what type of land and rock we would see. I mean she went on for about 10 minutes, just to a couple complete strangers! It was fabulous, and if she was here, I’d give her a huge hug for what joy it was about to bring us.

Anyways, We walked next door to the burr trail grill or something similar, the town is basically 8 or 9 buildings so it was just down across the little way there.

I found one of these neat little things and it urged me to close my eyes for a little…

[​IMG]

Nono, no time for that now, We’ve got exploring to do!!

The grill was fabulous! They had a memorial wall for all the goofy folk that passed through

[​IMG]

A pretty cool dog, that was into just chillin

[​IMG]

and PIE!

[​IMG]

Joe Chilled out

[​IMG]

I gave it my approval

[​IMG]

and we devoured some damn good burgers

[​IMG]

Hell yea!

Joe went for the slam dunk

[​IMG]

and I got the cool photo with out server

[​IMG]

We headed out from there, and just on the other side of the building, the famous trail began. Onward!

[​IMG]

- The Burr Trail –

Now here, at the beginning you began in some nice tan slick rock. It was everywhere, almost like big rolling hills of it.

[​IMG]

Seems like the theme of mid utah is to just chill. These heffers had it about right…

[​IMG]

Then the tan rock hills began to vegitate

[​IMG]

and soon the stone ended and the red rock emerged. It was shocking how precise the change was, something like mile marker 9.6, and BOOM, instant red rock.

For a little while, you were in a canyon with a little river, and lush almost rainforest movie type effects

[​IMG]

and you come to the clearing of the canyon.

[​IMG]

This was a real nice chill spot, and we investigated on the way back.

Somewhere along the way, we officially entered the grand staircase

[​IMG]

Here’s another from that outlook. This view clearly rivaled the Colorado rockies for me. I was absolutely astounded by how small I felt, and how free I had become.

[​IMG]

Here’s looking back into the mouth of that canyon

[​IMG]

We continued on and things flattened out, but STICK WITH IT. If you do, you’ll find it turns to dirt as soon as it crosses into Capital Reef. From this point, you will get the most downright awe-inspiring view you might ever see. I mean there are red rocks, blue rocks, gold rocks, green rocks, mountains going sides, bedrock sheets protruding up and sideways and down and every which way in the same formation. Its damn crazy I”ll tell you that. We didn’t have time to go any further, but with a gs type bike I hope to get soon, I would easily go all the way to 95 where you’ll see it hooks up. Could be an easy time saver coming across from south eastern utah if you want as well!

You’ll know you’ve hit the end of pavement other than the obvious road, by the sign into capital reef

[​IMG]

I’m sorry I didn’t get a good shot looking out, but trust me, you’ve seen what I’ve seen so far, and it almost brought a tear to my eye.

[​IMG]

that’s as close as I can get to a shot looking out into the valley.

[​IMG]

From there, Joe and I decided we needed to get more of a record of this road, so the way back, we had our cameras strapped on our arms or what have you, and were shooting photos the whole way back. It led to some interestingly scary moments for me, but who cares, now you can share them with me! Have a look.

I finally found the button to turn it on with my gloves on

[​IMG]

Always wanted one of these shots

[​IMG]

Hey joe!

[​IMG]

Starting to come out of the flatness at the end and back into the red rock and canyon

[​IMG]

the walls will slowly start to form around you and fade away again

[​IMG]

they will start to be elevation changes, and once it rises significantly, you know you’re entering the gully

[​IMG]

here’s what you’ll see going out, or behind you going back

[​IMG]

and here’s that outlook I mentioned before that we stopped at

[​IMG]

Apparently the ranchers out here must get a little bored…. And find some fun out there. All but one of the bullet holes are out going. Wonder what they found out there?

[​IMG]

Looking at one side from that pull off

[​IMG]

and out for the big picture:

[​IMG]

I climbed up pretty far on the canyon wall to get a shot, and these are the ones that came out best

Looking down at Joe

[​IMG]

and down at my bike facing back into the gorge thing

[​IMG]

my gosh, everything looks so small!!!

[​IMG]

almost like an adventurer lost in his own mind…

[​IMG]

Aw, we look cute

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I liked that sequence…haha.

So then we had to do it. Ya know..what all the signs tell you not to. Don’t owrry, no one was there, and we picked them up later.

[​IMG]

and me and my guns

[​IMG]

I like the pensive shots

[​IMG]

and nother

[​IMG]

from there, we headed back into the canyon.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

it just got wilder and wilder, and I liked it much better coming back.

[​IMG]

it got greener too

[​IMG]

Joe got some interesting shots this way

[​IMG]

and while capturing mine… I got some dirty looks from some dumb dyke in an suv that thought they were going to run me over from ¼ mile away.

[​IMG]

ah well, motor on tourists!

Then back into the rainforesty goodness

[​IMG]

turrrrrrn

[​IMG]

eventually you’ll hit a point where you come into a dead end canyon. You’ll come up on the east side, and continue up on the west side, being able to look down onto the east side, as well as the bottom. This is the end of that canyon

[​IMG]

looking down at me

[​IMG]

and out into where that rainforest mesh was

[​IMG]

the canyon was gorgeous

[​IMG]

and the brilliant fire red was very fitting

[​IMG]

continuing on, we saw a lot of these cattle grates. I kept forgetting ot ask exactly how they worked, anyone care to fill me in?

[​IMG]

snapped this one on the way out. Joe found out his futura didn’t like walloping in sand. Go figure?

[​IMG]

and mine waiting

[​IMG]

from there, and now I know its ahrd to believe…. But from there, the roads got BETTER!

Shortly after, we hooked up with the better section of 12. Holy wowzers, go check that one out. That one definitely stole the last of my chicken strips from me. IF you find them, please return them to MSU as soon as possible. Heh

Looking down at a similar canyon that we rode through on burr trail. Weird what it looks like from above.

[​IMG]

12 has a beautiful section that is up on a ridge, and this is a few shots of it.

Joe posing

[​IMG]

A futura shot that belongs in a freakin magazine!

[​IMG]

I can do that too!

[​IMG]

Joe looking out from that little crest section

[​IMG]

what I mean by crest section

[​IMG]

Oh no! Not my riding partner!!!

[​IMG]

another magazine shot? Reminded me of some of the cali pictures I’ve seen floating around

[​IMG]

pretty tarmac!

[​IMG]

and a little roller coaster action. Yea that’s the road that goes up perpendicular to the camera

[​IMG]

that’s where Joe was able to capture this neat shot of me. Couldn’t get the line quite right, not close actually, but the shot came out.

[​IMG]

I got a similar one of Joe

[​IMG]

What good posture! haha

[​IMG]

some interesting structures

[​IMG]

and little mini mountains with stubble

[​IMG]

From there, we followed 12 down to the Bryce Canyon National Park.

Before even entering the park, you get a sweet taste of what the canyon will astound you with

[​IMG]

and

[​IMG]

now when you turn down the road to get there, is still about 3 miles down. DON’T SPEED. Half way down, you’ll see the official sign that you know you’re going the right way

[​IMG]

mine alone

[​IMG]

From there, we paid our fee, stopped by the gift shop before it closed, and then headed in. The park is set up off of one artery road. Its like 1 road all the way from top to bottom, and little pull offs along the way. We went all the way down, and then saw things from the bottom, or top elevation wise back to the entrance of the park. It will get a little chilly, as the top is somewhere near 10,000’. But, when you get there, get out and walk to the overlook, or for goodness sake takea little walk. You’ll be presented with some absolutely drop dead gorgeous views!

Here’s from that last lookout

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

What a cool cat that xdbx character is

[​IMG]

he must like hugs..haha

[​IMG]

the non-gay biker pose

[​IMG]

And yea, I AM all that

[​IMG]

heh.

Then from there, we stopped at all the outlooks and saw what was unique about each one

[​IMG]

there were ampitheaters

[​IMG]

bryce phalluses

[​IMG]

“natural bridges”

[​IMG]

and much more! Leaving bryce had some downright gorgeous little bits as well.

[​IMG]

Always wanted a shot like that too, since reading vivids ride report

Well, after an asston of more riding, we made the Arizona state line by nightfall. Damn, this was going to be a loooooooong night.

[​IMG]

From there, I turned on my GPS again, and it basically said… “HEY YOU DUMB BASTARD, YOU’VE STILL GOT A LOT TO GO, BETTER GET COMFY”. I almost cried. I believe almost 100 miles. Now I’m not one to do this most often, but I mean this stuff was pitch pitch pitch black. I’m talking black like your eyelids cant even get that black black. It was like a black fog almost, the headlights didn’t do anything. There were no lights, nothing. NO cities, no signs, no reflectors on the road, absofuckinglutely nothing at all to look at. After a few miles, we starte seeing headlights, and I starte guessing where the road went down and up and across and it kept me occupied. It was downright scary though, at least in my head. A long day had been messing with me, and everyonce and a while, there would be the watch for moose/elk/bison/armadillo/porcupine/yourmom/a boulder/the sun signs. The funny thing was they’d overlap. What I mean is, they’d say, elk next 10 miles. Then 1 mile later, a rabbit one, then a cow one, then a bison one and so on. So by the time you got to 6 or 7 miles from where you saw the first one, you were like, I should be swimming in animals! A little comical, maybe just the fatigue setting in, but I got a good chuckle in. We started heading up in to a think forest and up into hills. I cant really describe it other than VERY scary for me, and I let Joe lead. He did well, and got us there in 1 piece.. well 1 piece each, and on the door of the office, was an envelope with my name on it. I said oh shit, but a map and a key was in it. How cool. Beware, Jacob lake is cool, but their office is 8am to 8pm. There’s nothing there, beware also. Just the inn, and a gas station. The road to the north rim was closed, so it was literally just a stop along 89A in Arizona.

Totals for the day

[​IMG]
  13. xdbx

Oddometer:
    Day 6:
    Start: Jacob Lake, Arizona
    End: Durango, Colorado

What a surprised to wake up in Arizona. Being form Michigan, I guess less so, but I just imagined Arizona being more of what utah was like, but no. It was thick forest, much like the upper parts of Michigan. IT was gorgeous weather, and I couldn’t wait to see what today had instore for us.

Lemme give you a quick rundown of the hotel first. Nicest place we stayed so far. Jacob lake inn is just rustic enough for a weekend out in the wilderness, but civilized enough to be a fancy place for a nice family or couple. Really nice, and for something like 60 bucks a night, it’s a steal.

Here was the lot when we left.

[​IMG]

our room

[​IMG]

huge bathroom

[​IMG]

patio

[​IMG]

and some more wheeling futuras!

[​IMG]

From there, we had a delicious breakfast at the diner, but our waitress was superfine, and I didn’t want to geek her out taking pics, ironically, joe didn’t either, so that was a loss… haha. Oh well, she was smoking, go check her out, the blonde one serving at the food little kitchenette.

We left shortly after eating, and from then, it got hotter, and hotter and hotter. We came out of the hills and into that famous desert setting. Just straight until the horizon, and you could cook an egg on your tires type. It was wonderful!

Looking out into a little valley

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

and the beginnings of the grand canyon, called the Mable Canyon. This is just south west of Page, AZ, and it’s a wonderful place!

[​IMG]

Another cool cat

[​IMG]

Unfortunately this is as close as I got to the grand canyon, but it was still pretty huge. I cant imagine being able to look across the big ditch for real. Maybe next time

Bridge

[​IMG]

Green river

[​IMG]

Why is it green?

Looking out from the vermillion cliffs

[​IMG]

now I’m not being very specific with these places because I want you to go look them up. Explore around there, there isn’t much in terms of civilization, but you cant go wrong no matter where you look.

Way to go Michgan State Engineering!

[​IMG]

And one last shot of the humble beginnings of the big ditch in mother earth

[​IMG]

In Page, we stopped for an extened rest stop because it was the first place in quite a few days we got cell phone service. Joe called friends, I called my girlfriend, dad, mom, and other friends I had missed so much up until now. I also was able to mail out my postcards, buy more and mail them, and get some damn good laughs. God bless walmart.

Here was joe outside stickin a big dick in his mouth

[​IMG]

and Me doing similar

[​IMG]

I still cant figure out if I should feel guilty about taking the next one, but this was the hobo that hung out with us. He bought more than we did combined, and he was on that bicycle. What an adventurer!

[​IMG]

We then found our way down the road a few miles to the Glen Canyon Dam. No tour, but a few cool pics and we entered the little museum.

[​IMG]

A little model of the surrounding area and the grand canyon

[​IMG]

and a pic of the Navajo Dam

[​IMG]

A little story about the Grass. That used to be cement, but it was a huge heat problem, and dust and sand got sucked into the impellors for the generators and turbines. So, they put grass because it absorbed the heat and vibrations and dust. Whatever, Me and joe still claim is so the guy down there have somewhere to play soccer.

And of course, this amazing Glen canyon Bridge

[​IMG]

Oh yea… did I mention it was hot?

[​IMG]

But we met a cool guy riding from Colorado springs out to las vegas for the pool rally thing going on out there, and he was cool guy. He was on a white kawi Vulcan, motor on dude! Speaking of which, that’s exactly what we did.

[​IMG]

You couldn’t have picked a closer pic out of my dreams. Is this what you all mean when you say chasing your shadows?

[​IMG]

We realized Durango was HELLA far away, so we skipped monument valley. I was sad, but we were able to keep four corners. Before all that though, had to have another nose bleed.

[​IMG]

This one was bad…

[​IMG]

Real bad

[​IMG]

blah

[​IMG]

even after all that, we made it to the four corners monument just in the 30 minute widow when they didn’t charge admission but before they closed. It’s certainly an interesting “monument”, having a little market there for native Americans, and then the monument almost as a secondary thing.

Ah well, got the required proof and kept motoring!

I guess Joe preferred New Mexico

[​IMG]

Have you ever been in 4 states at once?

[​IMG]

I have!

We pointed east and flicked the wrist 1 gear higher. We reached Durango just as night was falling, and checked into the most exicitng hotel yet! The Historic Strater Hotel is one of a federation of historic hotels. NO, not hotels, it’s the real deal whole package. I’m talking this was returned to 1889 with the saloon downstairs with the old fashion saloon girls and all! Itw as great. I don’t drink, but I did wish I was 21 just so I could go in and experience the atmosphere. Thank goodness the showers were cool though. They had an interesting way of limiting your shower time though, and that was the drain pulled water out SLOWER than the head put water in. don’t want to flood the room I guess..haha.

We checked in and got read, then went down the way a bit (Durango is fairly big for a town in the mountains) to Steamorks grill. That was an interesting experience. It was a brewery and all cool, albeit a little loud for my tastes, but it was Friday night.

I tried the $2x pork chops

[​IMG]

and Joe had whatever this was

[​IMG]

**edit**
    sorry guys, I forgot about Joes beer...

[​IMG]

on the way back, joe got a shot of me enjoying our most luxurous place yet. I’ll say this though, even for a college kid, $150 a night for this gem was WELL worth it

[​IMG]

That night, I noticed one fo the coolest things yet on the trip. (‘ve been saying that lately, sorry, its true it was a trip of firsts for me!)

[​IMG]

On my pillow, there rests a room journal. Every night, a new guest occupying that room would write in it. I could tell there were some great adventures had, from wild sex honeymoons to drunken bachlerette parties, to family facations for mom and the kids, to a lost traveler to motorcycle tourers to all sorts of stuff! It was great and I had an awesome time reading it till I got sleepy and went to bed.

Meanwhile, Joe stayed out till 2 tryin to score with this chick

[​IMG]

I wont go into what happened, but some funny ass stories were told the following morning.

**Also forgot to add the days trip total

[​IMG]
  14. xdbx

Oddometer:
    Day 7:
    Start: Durango, Colorado
    End: The Truck in Raton, New Mexico
    This day pretty much put a damper on the whole trip, even though it had the best roads bar none!

Early morning was due to enjoy the spoils of this cool hotel and continental breakfast before we left. Me with my usual mess

[​IMG]

Victorian decoration

[​IMG]

The pub down on the first floor

[​IMG]

The other pub

[​IMG]

and the patio thing in the saloon

[​IMG]

After breakfast, we made our way down to the gas station in Durango and we shared plans on that day. It was the day that didn’t have a route, only hopes and dreams, and that ended up being the best/worst way of doing it… you’ll see what I mean.

[​IMG]

A short jaunt up Colorado’s 550 aka the Million Dollar highway was one I had been looking forward to since the trips inception. Lemme tell you, its ALL of what its hyped up to be. The beginning may be calm, but give it a chance. It will climb, climb, climb, then narrow, and climb some more. IT will do it so intently that it will make you forget you are supposed to get it on fim infact. After one of the summits in the passes, we stopped and from there I was a bit better about it, but I’ll just say its something you absolutely must do no exceptions. Get out there and do it! Now!

Among some pass, one of the 3 notable ones

[​IMG]

here’s me enjoying being back in my element. Twisty dangerous alpine roads.

[​IMG]

I mean really, if you go down, your ego would be so hurt there’s no point in surviving, you might as well plummit 2000’ to your death right? …hmmmm

A cool little blurp in the road making

[​IMG]

and that’s exactly where we took our little breather

[​IMG]

I thought this little watertrickle was neat.

[​IMG]

Just for reference, what they say about clean mountain spring water, is complete rubbish. It tastes like complete ass, save yourself the trouble and don’t try it, you’ll waste several pieces of gum ridding the taste.

More shots of that blurp

[​IMG]

yea…yea it actually does look just like that doesn’t it?

[​IMG]

I walked up here to get a little privacy

[​IMG]

And promply fell INTO the snow up to my chest

[​IMG]

led to a cool view though

[​IMG]

now don’t fall

[​IMG]

If you find yellow snow up there, I’m sorry, but I really had to.

Moving onwards, Joe finished off his chicken strips, and we had a little gravity race. Its kinda fun, pull up next to your bud on the downslope of your favorite pass and flip your kill switch. Make sure you don’t do this if you need your abs or whatever, and leave the ignition on so you have brake lights. Then just have a coasting race! Its amazing how much fun you can have going 30 or 40….haha. I won that round.

At the bottom, you’ll find a little town called Ouray. Famous for its biker gangs, but I didn’t see too many other bikes there. Good food though, and tremendously nice people

Looking into town

[​IMG]

and back where we came from way atop that center crest

[​IMG]

There was a real ADV scoot sittin there. I waited for the owner, but he must have been busy, cool scoot though!

[​IMG]

From there, we motored on up to Montrose, where it got flat for a little, then we shot over 50. We decided to hit 50 all the way over to pueblo instead dfo heading down on 149 just because we didn’t see monarch pass or anything from being snowed out the first weekend. It was well worth it and the worst choice ever at the same time… keep reading.

I got a half assed shot of Joe… literally

[​IMG]

there was a neat little blue lagoon up in the mountains we passed. Deserved a cool shot

[​IMG]

50 was awesome, but by that time, I felt we had enough mountain shots, so I cooled it a little. That and we had a long day ahead, so the picture taking declined a little

As soon as Black canyon came up, it was performance award time. I suppose it had to happen, but it was the dumbest way it could have. I mean the passing zone was literally 150 feet long, and we had nowhere to go. The county mounty was the oncoming car, and we were just screwed either way you look at it. 2 colorado points. Thanks county mounty, have a good one!

[​IMG]

We made it to monarch pass, and here’s proof

[​IMG]

The chain requirement from the last weekend was really true. I mean the stuff up there weould have been complete hell evening the truck with the bikes loaded. I’m glad we didn’t try it and thank you steve and weather channel for recommending otherwise!

I humped a few bugs off my visor from last weekens snow as well!

[​IMG]

pretty views were ahead

[​IMG]

then it got red like utah

[​IMG]

then somewhere in the middle

[​IMG]

Then we came up on the Royal Gorge!

[​IMG]

I took your guys’ advice and went around to the picnic area, and hiked a little. Agreed, MUCH better view and a nice place to have a sammich. Check it out, it’s the last left turn up the dirt road before you have to pay to walk oon the sum bitch.

Look right

[​IMG]

look closer

[​IMG]

And let’er roam free!

[​IMG]

now no using that to incriminate me, I’m sharing my hard work with you, and you promised to be nice!

Look left too

[​IMG]

Fell over this guy getting that shot

[​IMG]

and ONTO this guy

[​IMG]

Worth it for this one

[​IMG]

trust me, leathers are good for more than motorcycle crashes.

Joe’s so good at the pensive shot

[​IMG]

and one last parting shot!

[​IMG]

Bye bye 1000 foot gorge! Thanks for the soothing sounds and free views!

Just a few miles from there, we scored a run up Skyline Drive just west of canon city, Colorado off US 50. It’s a 1 way sidwalk, look it up. Here’s a video the nice guys at VFRD posted of it.

<object height="350" width="425">

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/8hB20XarWxw" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" height="350" width="425"></object>

[​IMG]

it was clearly the best bang for the buck road we had been on, and you&#8217;ll just have to go there or watch the video to see what I mean!

Here we are near the end of the 3 mile stretch

[​IMG]

The one front page shot of ADVrider made me want this pic, so I went the distance to get it. Hope you like it, it was freaky to get. Props to you dood who did it first!

[​IMG]

lookin back to the part we just came

[​IMG]

someone had some fun up here.. : )

[​IMG]

ADVrider also inspired this one

[​IMG]

and Joe wanted one too!

From there, it was just over a little more on 50 to pueblo, then south all the way to the truck. That was the shittiest stretch of road yet on the trip. It was nightfall by the time we even got ot pueblo, and the truck was still about 2 hours away. I was freezing but I couldn&#8217;t bear to stop and get changed. Then he got me. Fucker sitting on an offramp says he zoomed in on my headlight and got me at 87 in a 75. I said I was staring at my gps and it said 81, but I couldn&#8217;t stir him. Total loss, 2 or 3 hours after the first one. What shitty luck. Don&#8217;t go on a trip on the weekend, in Colorado.

From then, I concentrated on my speed more than I&#8217;ve ever done before, being tired as woah. It hit me that at elevation in thos conditions, it was about a quarter of a millimeter of my right hand between ~73 and 89 mph. God what has the god of 2 wheels cursed us with? I&#8217;m only 20, I don&#8217;t need this many points.

Here&#8217;s the final markup of the day

[​IMG]

Now you tell me I was doing 87 you bastage. Ugh! Whatever. I don&#8217;t think the points will transfer to Michigan anyways, so we&#8217;ll see. After the tip over to begin with, this just made it all suck.

We got to the truck around 11:30 pm, Friday night. I was so pissed off I knew I couldn&#8217;t bear to sleep, so Joe and I loaded the bikes back on the truck, no incidents thankfully, and he took the drivers seat early. I knew this would be rough, but we pointed to Kansas city that night, and didn&#8217;t look back. I insisted not driving through Colorado again, dispite having cruise control, so we went down into Oklahoma and then into Kansas. It ended up saving a ton of time and was a better choice overall, but I&#8217;ll be damned if I let Denver get any more of my money and grief. We made it back to Kansas City around 12pm (noon) Central time, and swapped info on the memory cards. From then, I couldn&#8217;t believe what I was doing, but I got on my bike, pointed towards my fellow aprilia rider north of Indianapolis, and blasted a trail up there&#8230; doing the speedlimit of course. Fahkers. So, I cant really call that a day 7 or whatever, but I&#8217;ll end this day now.

[​IMG]

Tired and angry, this is not the way it should have gone. I mean I did much sillier things other places, but none warranted such severe punishment, and I&#8217;m just flustered by it. Alas, it comes with the territory right? Live and learn, motto of the trip so far!
  15. xdbx

Oddometer:
    Day 8/9
    Start: Olathe, Kandas
    End: Noblesville, Indiana

I began riding from Kansas city at roughly 1pm on Saturday, and I knew I was in for an extremely long day. I had been driving straight from new mexico through the night with very restless pods of sleep, but the stumped up anger inside from those tickets were holding me over.

I decided I couldn’t pass up the arch this time through, and I stopped by. It took me damn near 30 minutes to find a place not even to park, but to get OFF my bike and get a shot off. Took a while, but I found one just near the river.

You can see the Mississippi carrying the floor waters

[​IMG]

not sure where this used to go, but youcould definitely tell it was high waters

[​IMG]

mighty aprilia

[​IMG]

Who’s that handsome lad with such a great driving record?

[​IMG]

after getting a little lost due to construction in the absolute ghetto just near the monument, I got this nice shot.

[​IMG]

So, I knew I would get in late, and I called ahead my new best friend from apriliaforum (yea another one) Bob and confirmed I’d be getting in a night early. He said you’d be getting in late, and I said yea, being a dumbass. I completely forgot he was in eastern time, and I still had my gps and bike set in mountain time, so I was taking my damn time. Damnit! Oh well. It got dark right around Effingham Illionois, and after that it toallys ucked. I was getting paranoid about tickets, deer from earlier in the trip, I was freezing cold, crazy lonely, tired, and pissed off. I had a long way to ride, and it eventually lulled off after I realized I was truly alone. Mmm emo. Yump, so around 10pm, I was passed by these 2 duallys really flying. Both were towing harlys, a little comical, but I kept up with them, moreso to use their lights and front bumpers for deer than for their speed, but I did enjoy the fact that they did keep a constant 90 up. That just meant I’d get there quicker right? Yea. No more incidents, and the lovely garmin led me right to bob’s house in a gorgeous neighborhood north of Indianapolis. I was so unbelievably happy to see him I almost just hugged him and cried, but it was just late enough that I could get away with falling asleep right away.
  16. xdbx

Oddometer:
    Day 10:
    Start: Noblesville, IN
    End: East Lansing, MI… home sweet home

Bobs son who was my age woke up up after my deep deep slumber, and I woke up a little dazed. It was by far the best rest I’d gotten since I had been on the road, and I had been dreaming of waking up at my home back in Detroit with my mom and girlfriend coming to see me and bringing eggs and bacon in bed and giving me foot massages and such. I mean I wasn’t disappointed when I woke up, just a little dazed and confused. Well, their son, also a Daniel, was one cool dude! I went downstairs after dressing, and chatted with them a little before heading out to breakfast.

Now let me give you a little background on Bob and how he was yet another one of the nicest people I’ve ever met. I met him on the Apriliaforum, and just send him a random PM having seen he was in Noblesville, IN, and I saw that was between Kansas city and Michigan, so I thought I’d give it a shot. He replied with a tremendously generous offering, told me I was on his calendar, and to come on by and he could hook me up with tires and change things and the whole kit and caboodle. I wasn’t sure if I should take him seriously, since it sounded like he could even throw in a back massage, but by god, Bob Davis is my hero! He waited for me late the night before, and led me in waving with a lit garage and a warm welcome. He arranged that I had my OWN ROOM, with the nicest folding job on the sheets I had ever seen, starter hotel included. A little basket of soaps and towels and the offering to treat the home as if it was my own. I couldn’t be more greatful and wish I could have said more before I crashed into the pillow. Alas, that was the first wow moment of Indiana. So lets fastforward to this morning of day 10. When I found out we were going to breakfast, and we were riding, I said ok, I would be glad to ride with 2 other fully open piped aprilias and his lovely wife in the vette to breakfast. When I opened the door to the garage, I was absolutely positively dumbfounded. Doctor Bob had wheeled my bike out for me, and WASHED the whole thing for me! Talk about service! He just opened up his home to me, and I would probably give my life for him right there and then! It was sparkling and looked waxed and buffed too, but I couldn’t bear to ask. I was just amazed. I threw on the top case and we were off.

We forgot that the morning was also mothers day morning, so We had trouble finding a place with no waiting line, but the breakfast was delicious and I was beyond words in thankfulness. Yea I don’t care if that’s not a word, it is now! Thank you from the bottom of my heart bob!

Here’s a couple thou in aprilia galore

[​IMG]

pretty headlights!

[​IMG]

A summary of the day/night before

[​IMG]

yikes!

Well, bob showed me around a little more, and we had some fun in a few of his other toys. Running around to find a replacement bolt for my bent frame slider was a no success, but whatever, vettes are sweet! I forgot what it was like to turn and not lean. I tried infact, but promptly bashed my head on the door. Man what a low car. Have to add one to my Christmas list : )

From then, I left with a sad heart that I couldn’t have them adopt me, but I’m sure I’ll be back, they’re only a mere 4 hours away!

A few hundred miles later, this little guy popped up on me after a cop TRIED to get me for 50 in a 45 construction zone just before the state line of Indiana. Hey man, fuck you, the car that wizzed by me to cut me off was doing 60 plus. Lay off the anti-bike pills.

[​IMG]

and that’s all she wrote folks. I decided to run all the way over to Detroit instead, just to see my mommy and give her her presents I got from some of the Navajo near Jacobs lake. She of course loved it, and I was thankful. I took my spare car up to school, which is infact really loud, and I found myself feeling like I was on a bike. I actually tried to put my feet on the passenger pegs before I realized I was in a car seat. Oh well, old habits die hard..haha.

So, I”ll leave you with a few words in afterthought….

First of all, ask questions, and discuss anything you’d like to know about. These forums have helped me so much that I want to give back. I want you all to have the resources I used, and be able to do what I did and piece together a trip like I did from YOUR input!

I mean, I’m not super man, just threw a dart at a map and went basically. Thanks to vivid for inspiring the trip.

(ok, maybe I am superman)

[​IMG]

Don’t over plan your trips. I mean, a human being is capable of amazing things, so don’t hesitate to just point and go, ask the locals what to do. If you’ve got to do 200 more miles to the hotel and its already dusk, just hunker down and do it, it’ll make for a good story at the end, and that shower will feel like god massaging your shoulders himself! Trust me, I know!

So, enjoy, and link to it as you please, my photobucket account is paid for and unlimited. Enjoy, and any comments are welcome. I’ve got about 600 more photos to sort through, and about 100 video’s still to sort, so if you guys are interested, I’ll be happy to post those as I edit them, but it will be a little while now.
  17. xdbx

Oddometer:
    one more thing and maybe a shameless plug... I wasnt kidding about that yellow GS. an 1150, 1200 adv or not, I want one. If you have one and would like the fut, or just want the fut straight up, let me know. I'd like to do another trip like this only up the trans labrador highway this coming fall, but not on this bike. You know where the PM button is, and thanks again for reading! :freaky
  18. xdbx

Oddometer:
    a quick bump for Issy to find this easier. Unfortunatey I had just finished editing the videos from this ride report as well as 2 others I was trying to finish up when my macbook took a poo. lost everything... :cry

What can ya do though? I'll just have to take some more amazing adventures.

Also to follow up, I did get my hands on an 1150GS, but no one wants to take poor ol' november and whip her across the country again. *cough* buy it *cough*

:lol3
  19. xdbx

Oddometer:
    I just wanted to follow up with 1 more thing. I stopped in at the Secretary of State this morning and was plesantly surprised.

Neither of my tickets transfered

Just a little excited about it... had to share.
  20. xdbx

Oddometer:
    I know when you're on the road, you feel homesick, but damnit, I'm REALLY roadsick right now. This thread brought back some smiles. I miss the area like a fat kid misses cake :lol3

I booked a hotel to go skiing near the Loveland pass area, hopefully my car will handle the heights a bit better. Anyone up for a sequel next may?:ear