1. eNewsletter Sign Up

2 Aussies, 2 bikes and a 3 month lap of USA!

Discussion in 'Americas' started by Terry & Janelle, Feb 4, 2017.

1. JBird

JBird Retriever

Oddometer:
    Don't miss the Barber Museum outside Birmingham!!! It is the greatest motorcycle museum in the world ( I know that is a big statement but justified.) You can work it in with the North GA Mountains, Cherahola Skyway, and the Blue Ridge Parkway. You will also see the famous Deal's Gap while you are coming through. If you come down the Parkway you'll run within an hour of my shop which you are welcome to stay in = air / heat / showers / beer.
  2. Terry & Janelle

Terry & Janelle Two Aussie riders planning a 3 month tour of USA

Oddometer:
    Yep. We've got the Barber Museum already marked out. Thanks for the offer. When we see how it all shakes out we'll know whether we take you up on that!

Sent from my awesome S7
  3. TxFarmer

TxFarmer Looking for Riding Friends

Oddometer:
    I'm guessing you end up in Texas because you have to fly out of Houston? Any places you have mapped out for the lone star state yet?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
  4. Terry & Janelle

Oddometer:
    No where yet. The actual route is nowhere even close. All suggestions welcome.

Sent from my awesome S7
  5. patmo

patmo Long timer

Oddometer:
    The Western-Eastern Roadracing Association (WERA) has been holding its national finals at Barber for the last few years, in late October. WERA is the premier motorcycle "club racing" series and many of the top professional racers in America have either come through this series, or continue to participate in order to win contingency money from participating sponsors. At the same time, there are hundreds of purely amateur racers participating in dozens of different classes for vintage and contemporary bikes. You can check them out on the web at www.wera.com and there is a forum for discussion among members and interested parties. Don't know if your schedule will coincide with this event, or even if they will be there in 2018 (but I suspect they will), but if it does you might want to contact the organization and/or different teams via the website/forum and explore the possibility of either working, serving as pit crew, or actually riding at the event.
  6. Terry & Janelle

Oddometer:
    Awesome. I will. Thanks.

Sent from my awesome S7
  7. slammer218

slammer218 Slammer

Oddometer:
    If you need a place to stay in North East Ohio let me know would like to have you here.
  8. jonz

jonz Miles are my mantra Supporter

Oddometer:
    CA dez (it's a dry heat)/West Yellowstone,MT
    The south and southwest would be best at the end of your trip due to heat in August. The mountains of SoCal would be a good start and then work your way north along the coast of California. Probably head up to Lassen National Park and continue north up the mountains of Oregon and Washington next. Then head east to Montana - Glacier National Park for the scenery and riding the Going to the Sun Hwy - kind of bittersweet as it's a great road but clogged with tourists. The Butler Motorcycle Maps are a good source of some great and little known roads up there - https://www.butlermaps.com/. Work your way to Yellowstone National Park - make sure that you ride Beartooth Pass either coming or going from YNP. Beartooth Pass is my favorite motorcycle road in the USA. YNP has the most amazing wildlife - crowds yes, but it's worth it. If I'm around when you ride through, I may be able to show you some riding. Ride the Chief Joseph Hwy over to Cody, WY - check out the Buffalo Bill Museum: I'm not really a museum person but it is 5 great museums in one. Then work your way south through the Rocky Mountains. Hopefully by the time you reach Utah, temperatures will have moderated so you can enjoy the amazing National Parks there. Then work your way east - I'll let others advise on that as my time there has been limited.
  9. Terry & Janelle

Oddometer:
    For sure. Thanks
  10. Terry & Janelle

Oddometer:
    Awesome advice! We've marked the roads and other places youve mentioned and will try to incorporate them into our lap. Sounds like Beartooth Pass is a must! Cheers
    OnOff likes this.
  11. the wookie

the wookie Can haz throttle?

Oddometer:
    I would definitely recommend going to see a chump car race as well. I have raced in a few of those and they are an absolute blast!
    Terry & Janelle likes this.
  12. antirich5

antirich5 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Great recommendations here as always. Can't go wrong with most of California (well, except for LA and Silicon Valley/San Francisco traffic, but there's ways around that!). You'll have a great time, despite what El Presidente says, we really like Aussies here :-)

As far as race tracks, only Laguna Secca and Austin are going to come close to what you've seen in Phillip Island. Other US tracks are good, but those two are epic and well worth the trip.

If you plan to head to NYC, shoot me a message. I can help you with free parking and a place to stay across the river from Manhattan (MUCH easier to ride to, better views of the city, and 5 minute subway to World Trade Center). Can also play tour guide if needed, best with the non-touristy stuff.
    WilliamArcher likes this.
  13. Terry & Janelle

Oddometer:
    Hi. Wow!. Thanks for such an awesome offer re NYC. It's certainly on our destination list and we were really trying to work out what to do with the bikes. You might just have solved that for us!
    If you'd like to Pm us your email I'll share our planned route and timings.
    Cheers
    Terry and Janelle
  14. Motorius

Motorius Road trippin' Supporter

Oddometer:
    This is IT! Follow this advice. Seriously. Skip Chicago. There some stuff worth seeing but I'd never go there over CO or UT or AZ or NM states. The coast of NC is beautiful, as is western NC. If you're an Elvis fan see Graceland in TN.

In TX try to hit downtown Austin, the town of Marfa, and if you like nautical history the Museum of the Pacific up in Fredericksburg. So you know it's longer to drive across TX than from Dalles to Chicago.

Southern UT is some of the most amazing country. Carlsbad in NM is cool when the bats leave. Go to Santa Fe and spend a few hours at Ten Thousand Waves (Japanese bath house). Ride up to Taos. Skip Albuquerque. In AZ do northern AZ and skip Phoenix.

Get on YouTube and check out the "eveRide" channel to see what riding southern UT, Death Valley and surrounds are like.

The CA suggestions are great! Don't miss Yosemite. If you're in the area when Burning Man happens north of Reno, NV try to get tix and go for the last 2 days. You'll never experience anything like it again.

If you come up Seattle way drop me a PM and I'll give you a good local route to ride and things to see!

15. Terry & Janelle

Oddometer:
    Thanks for all that. Some of it is already on our route. We'll look up the Burning Man festival. Heard lots about it.
    If you'd like to Pm us with an email address I'll share our proposed route for comment.
    T&J
  16. OnOff

OnOff Long timer

Oddometer:
    Utah. Moved here 2 yrs ago and love it. A few Pix I shot recently...

http://imageevent.com/peteh/utah

http://imageevent.com/peteh/utahpanoramas

http://imageevent.com/peteh/moabutahthanksgiving2016

http://imageevent.com/peteh/fallmeetswinterinutah

http://imageevent.com/peteh/grandgulchbackpacktrip

Beartooth pass and Chief Joseph highway in Wyoming and Montana are fantastic roads. I've ridden cross country and they were highlights of my trip.
    If you ride by Salt Lake City Utah you are welcome to crash at my place!

Sort of nice here...
    [​IMG]
    AFRICA and GarrettHansen22 like this.
  17. fozrunner

fozrunner Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    G'day- not an Aussie but my family is! I spent 5 yrs in Armidale and another year in Brisbane. We'll be shipping our bikes there at some point and going on an extended tour 'round Aus.

My suggestions for not to miss places for a tour. Head up the California coast through San Francisco and then camp in the Redwoods. If you get as far as Seattle I'd go across the Cascades and then head up to Penticton, Kelowna to Vernon, then take 6 to 31A at New Denver, head down Kootenay Lake and take the ferry across from Balfour to Kootenay Bay. Then Creston, Cranbrook and up Radium Hot springs to Lake Louise and Banff. Unless you want to get to Jasper and the Icefields parkway! The Icefields is best to do in a southerly direction (as the glaciers are on the N facing side of the mountains). The Nat'l parks in Canada are free this year as it's the 150 anniversary. It will be a zoo, but by Sept hopefully it will be less crowded. (Edit- I see now you are planning for 2018- it will be less crowded maybe!) Bypass Calgary by taking the 40 through Kananaskis (great camping in Peter Lougheed PP) and stop in at the Head Smashed-in museum outside Ft Macleod, it's a World Heritage site worth a visit. All our Aussie visitors have enjoyed it.

Not much to see in Lethbridge, but you could stop by, if we are here, on the way to Waterton Nat'l Park and then Going to The Sun in Glacier. Just make sure you don't hit the GTS road (or Banff and lake Louise) on a weekend! Depending on your route across the country you could head to Yellowstone via the NE entrance from Beartooth Pass and then head down to Grand Teton. From there you could head across to the Eastern US and catch Utah and the Grand Canyon on the way back. Utah, as noted above is not to be missed. We used to Mtn bike every Easter at Moab- Arches, Canyonlands, Bryce and Zion are amazing places.

Chicago- If you're really into art and architecture it's worth it. But I've always flown in to Chicago to stay. I've driven through it twice on the way to Ontario and it's not that fun. PM me and share your proposed route-do you have Basecamp and the NA maps?

We also looked into buying bikes for some Aussie friends for a proposed trip to Alaska - but it fell through for various reasons. Hopefully we will do it next year. It took some time to find a place that would do insurance at a reasonable cost for non-residents, but it may be easier in the US. Definitely the most cost effective method is to buy and sell.
    cheers, foz
  18. Terry & Janelle

Oddometer:
    Hey Foz. Thanks for all that awesome info. We'll break it down bit by bit and it will certainly add to our plan. If you keep an eye on this thread Im sure you'll see your suggestions coming to life as time goes on.

And of course, if you ever do make it back to Australia make sure you chase us up!

Although Im not sure I'd be shipping your bikes here. At least not unless you confirm the same model is supported in Oz. We only get about 10% of the world market. You might find yourself unsupported or even unable to register it.

Cheers
    T&J
  19. jonz

jonz Miles are my mantra Supporter

Oddometer:
    CA dez (it's a dry heat)/West Yellowstone,MT
    [QUOTE="fozrunner, post: 31631728, member: 341709"My suggestions for not to miss places for a tour. Head up the California coast through San Francisco and then camp in the Redwoods. [/QUOTE]

There is a bridge out in Big Sur on Hwy 1 and who knows when that will be fixed. So you may need to get to the coast north of there
  20. rosmoe

rosmoe Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The bridge on Highway 1 that was taken out this winter, should be replaced by October 2017.