1. eNewsletter Sign Up

2 Aussies, 2 bikes and a 3 month lap of USA!

Discussion in 'Americas' started by Terry & Janelle, Feb 4, 2017.

1. TUCKERS

TUCKERS the famous james

Oddometer:
    Villa Maria Sanitarium, Claremont, CA. USA
    All your USB chargers are 5v. You just need a two prong USA plug with a USB on it. The voltage is changed in the charger cable. I also get a light bulb adapter that screws in place of a light bulb and has a two prong female, very handy. I hope that's clear enough. All your phones and cameras and lap tops and pads and gps are 5v. Just need to plug the USB end in to any power source, even your bike 12 v will do, put a Female USB on your bikes. I've done all kinds of this. A male SAE on your bike is so handy. There are then adapters from SAE to everything that dumb down to 5v
    Terry & Janelle likes this.
  2. rosmoe

rosmoe Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If you guys find yourselves on the Golden Gate Bridge, do take a little ride on Conzelman Rd at the North end of the bridge. A great little 35 minute detour off Highway 101. Google Marin Headlands to find it. You will not be disappointed. Ride it to the top, the road continues at the west end of the parking lot down to the Pacific.
  3. Terry & Janelle

Terry & Janelle Two Aussie riders planning a 3 month tour of USA

Oddometer:
    Awesome. San Fran is certainly on the route so this is now locked into the guide book!
    Thanks for the tip.
  4. rosmoe

rosmoe Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Latest up date on highway 1, besides the bridge being out, 1 just got hit by massive landslide.. This one will take some time to clear. Check before you start out. 2028424_630x354.jpg
  5. holckster

holckster dougholck

Oddometer:
    Use the Tent Space Map to find inmates willing to assist along your route.
    https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewe...&ll=38.66527787312189,-119.80087386874993&z=8

Purchase is best way to go.
    Do not rule out checking with motorcycle dealers as well as Craigslist for used moto's.
    Be advised if you purchase a used moto from a state other than Calif you can not register it in Calif unless it has 7500 miles to be considered used and exempt from Calif smog regulations.
    Purchase and Registration by a by a foreign citizen is easy..
    Just need insurance (Progressive and others are available on-line), and a garaged address where all the paperwork will be sent.
    Several have used my address and have stored their moto's here and made multiple visits to ride before selling.
    There are other states that have a reduced sales tax and license fees schedule so remember to allow for $$ when purchasing.
    Make sure license fees and year sticker on the plate are current as buyer is responsible of any over due fees.

I'm on the tent space list.
    2 hours east of the Golden Gate Bridge.
    www'visitlodi.com
    Stop by for a few days and tour wine country and Serria Nevada Mountains.

Safe Travels
    luckylady likes this.
  6. Hi-De-Ho

Hi-De-Ho Mad Scientist

Oddometer:
    Terry & Janelle, this will be a good thread to follow, and I love your plans...and planning...this far in advance.

I will send you personal info on how to get in touch with me, well before you leave OZ, as you can also stay at my place in Washington State.

I have ridden over most of OZ, and bought a bike (same idea you are thinking of) when I flew down there and rode for 2 months. Actually sold the used bike for a profit, after I had made big improvements to it, so all worked out well. I think the idea of two used V-Strom DL-650s is a good choice.
  7. TUCKERS

TUCKERS the famous james

Oddometer:
    You don't actually need insurance to get Title and registration in your name, but you do need insurance to operate by law in California, and if you don't get it within 30 days your registration will be cancelled on the data base. You can register a vehicle in California from another State without restrictions if you are the registered owner in the other state. Buying from a licensed dealer can be fraught with peril as some will not sell to you without a USA license and insurance cover. Be mindful of actual stickers on plates and ask to see the original registration document, some people use stickers from other vehicles. Also always get an original title, NOT an 'application for a duplicate title'.....it's also a telling factor if the title isn't in the name of the seller, they will say it's my Aunts/Uncles/ dead relatives/ mothers/ friend moved away ownership.....when it 99 percent an unlicensed vehicle flipper.
    Hi-De-Ho likes this.
  8. Hi-De-Ho

Hi-De-Ho Mad Scientist

Oddometer:
    As I have been finding out, and reading what others have said, buying a bike(s) from or through TUCKERS is the smart way to do it. James & Colleen are squared away people, that treat all their riding family very fairly.
  9. deadzed

deadzed Meat Popscicle

Oddometer:
    We're in the West Virginia mountains, outside Washington DC. About 30-40min north of Skyline Drive (northernmost part of the Blue Ridge Parkway) We'd be happy to host you if you come through the area. I can take you to some of the sights in DC if you like & my wife is... well, she's an event unto herself.
    Along the Blue Ridge, Willville Motorcycle campground is nice & I highly recommend Kickstand Lodge in Robbinsville, NC. Mo & Bobby own/run the campground & it's just a fantastic place to be. Great people, great food, great roads.
    Terry & Janelle and Hi-De-Ho like this.
  10. Terry & Janelle

Oddometer:
    Yes please!
    I just want to acknowledge your contact. Thanks so much for your advice and offers. Very much appreciated and we'll be in touch again soon.
    Cheers
    T&J
    Hi-De-Ho likes this.
  11. Motorius

Motorius Road trippin' Supporter

Oddometer:
    So how goes this planning?
  12. Terry & Janelle

Oddometer:
    Going good mate.
    We've got the route kinda sorted, clockwise from LA up to Banff (visit friends), follow the sun down to yellowstone and then across to the east hitting the coast somewhere near Boston. Then down through NYC, Washington DC and Blueridge to Nola and back across to LA again. That's the rough plan. Obviously lots of adventures throughout too.
    And thanks to this site, and a few other contacts scattered around the place, we will be catching up with lots of really kind and generous people the whole way.
    We cant wait!
    Pity it's still more than a year off...
    Happy to go into more detail off page if you want?
    KingFishman likes this.
  13. Motorius

Motorius Road trippin' Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'll just keep following this thread and await the full itinerary when published!
  14. camgregus

camgregus riding gently now

Oddometer:
    on the banks of the mighty mississippi, AR side
    If you are into music and go from New Orleans to Memphis or therabouts, Clarksdale, MS and Helena, AR are worth seeing, especially if you hit one of the festivals...

I am on Tent space in Helena.
  15. Terry & Janelle

Oddometer:
    We have started to look into tent options.
    The dillemma is we either:
    1. Buy something fairly cheap in LA, carry it around with us and then drop it again when we leave.
    2. Buy something more expensive in LA, and bring it home with us. And wear any extra weight charges.
    3. Buy something of very good quality here, use it for a year and bring it over and back, and wear 2 x extra weight charges.
    A major part of the decision is to first check both in store and online prices in USA. And to ask you what make/models you recommend? I can do the web surfing part, but I've no idea what outlets are dependable.

So for example only Ive listed below a few cheaper options and their online prices in Australia. Just to get me in the ballpark, I wonder if anyone would mind cross referencing these to both a reliable online shop (with fast delivery) or a shopfront in or around LA.

And please let us know your recommendations. 3 months, August to October clockwise lap of USA (and a bit of Canada). Maybe half the time in a tent. We already have sleeping bags etc etc.

Here's a list to get the conversation started.
    Black Wolf Tanami Delta 3 $164 AUD online in Oz https://www.snowys.com.au/tanami-delta-3-tent
    Roman Adventure 4EX $199 AUD online https://www.snowys.com.au/adventure-4ex-dome-tent
    Explore Planet Earth Speedy 3 Person $219 AUD online https://www.snowys.com.au/speedy-3-pop-up-tent

Thanks in advance
  16. TUCKERS

TUCKERS the famous james

Oddometer:
    REI in USA have quality tents at higher prices. Really you could use a cheapie from Walmart or Big 5 and give it away. I will say only buy a tent with CLIPS for the posts and not one with sleeves. Also I would invest in good stakes, like the Groundhog from REI you simply cannot destroy them. Also the shorty claw hammer from Harbor Freight is awesome. It's also nice to have a footprint under the tent, get an inexpensive tarp from Harbor Freight here and give it away. While you are at it you can get any required tools from Harbor Freight, really low prices. If you put a loud enough shout out I'm sure someone will sell you a tent set up cheap... try the flea market here.
  17. jonz

jonz Miles are my mantra Supporter

Oddometer:
    CA dez (it's a dry heat)/West Yellowstone,MT
    Sierra Trading Post (http://www.sierratradingpost.com/) is an excellent online outlet and they have stores in Reno, NV; Meridian, ID (near Boise); and in Cody, WY. Those are just the ones that I know of - there are probably more. I almost always buy online though. I've always been a fan of buying good stuff as you never know what you might be asking of your tent.
  18. WJBertrand

WJBertrand Ventura Highway

Oddometer:
    Aerostich also sells some better quality tents. They're having a 15% off everything sale right now.

Www.aerostich.com

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  19. jonz

jonz Miles are my mantra Supporter

Oddometer:
    CA dez (it's a dry heat)/West Yellowstone,MT
    http://www.sierratradingpost.com/ma...n-3-season~p~4034u/?filterString=tents~d~228/
    I have the 2 man version of this tent which is luxuriously large for one but would be barely adequate for two. $179 for this 3 man version. 2 really big vestibules for storing stuff out of the weather and sight. Especially handy for a couple are two doors so you're not crawling over someone to get out. I've camped out in it maybe a dozen times and it's been fine through moderate rain and wind storms.
  20. TUCKERS

TUCKERS the famous james

Oddometer:
    Oh yes.....two doors is a must. One door or one end door is kind of a pain two up.