1. eNewsletter Sign Up

2 Aussies, 2 bikes and a 3 month lap of USA!

Discussion in 'Americas' started by Terry & Janelle, Feb 4, 2017.

1. Terry & Janelle

Terry & Janelle Two Aussie riders planning a 3 month tour of USA

Oddometer:
    Ooooh yeah. Discovered that one ages ago mate.

We've found the one we want... except it's made of canvas and it's here. Too big, too heavy and too far away. Bugger!

This made us laugh. They call it a "Biker Swag" and it weighs over 6kgs!!. And packs down so big you'd need a bloody Gold Wing to load it. http://www.bcf.com.au/Product/Wanderer-Biker-Tourer-Single-Swag/424716?menuFrom=571581 I think it's for 4wd peeps who want to think they ride Harleys.

This would be great except for the reasons above... http://www.bcf.com.au/Product/Wanderer-Extreme-Tourer-Double-Swag/424714?menuFrom=571581 Just need to find the same thing in vinyl.

Cheers
  2. Terry & Janelle

Oddometer:
    #gettingexcited
    So we haven't blogged here for a bit, cause you know... life...
    But we're still fully on track to fly to USA in August and spend 3 months lapping the place.
    Lots of small questions have been popping up, and being solved, but here's one I hope you guys might be able to help with.
    We'll have our phones and local sims, but are 2 way CB radio's an idea as well? And if so, can anyone tell me the public frequencies so we can decide to either buy them here or wait till we get over there?
    Thanks
    Hi-De-Ho likes this.
  3. Motorius

Motorius Road trippin' Supporter

Oddometer:
    If you want to spend your time talking to truckers (lorrys/lorries) you would want a CB, but otherwise they are worthless.

If you have emergency concerns consider an InReach or Spot.
  4. Terry & Janelle

Oddometer:
    Thanks. That's what we were thinking. No desire to talk to truckers.
    We'll be carrying PLBs for emergencies.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
  5. Hi-De-Ho

Hi-De-Ho Mad Scientist

Oddometer:
    Terry & the lovely Janelle......agreed that there is no need for the two of you to be using CBs on your bikes for this ride. If what you are wanting to do is be able to communicate with each other, from bike to bike, then the best choice is a SENA unit, which simply clamps onto the side of the helmet, and can talk to each other on separate bikes. They make several different models of the SENA units, like the SENA 5, and the SENA 10, and the SENA 20, and the SENA 30, etc, etc, etc.

My wife and I, on separate bikes, both use the SENA 10s......works perfect for her listening to her "smart phone" on her bike, that is loaded with music, and we can speak to one another going down the road. These units are readily available here in the USA, can be delivered in a couple days, or bought at dealerships on the spot, and installed in 30 minutes onto the helmets.
    Eatmore Mudd likes this.
  6. Terry & Janelle

Oddometer:
  7. Hi-De-Ho

Hi-De-Ho Mad Scientist

Oddometer:
    Great, then you are all set.

I just flew in today from Christchurch, New Zealand, and boy are my arms tired :-)

Selling my house on the south island. When you get over on this side of the pond, send me a PM, and we will get together.
    Terry & Janelle likes this.
  8. TUCKERS

TUCKERS the famous james

Oddometer:
    Villa Maria Sanitarium, Claremont, CA. USA
    Even the truckers are getting away from CB. Any of the big name bike to bikes are good enough. Colleen and James use SENA 20s EVO's...the range is limited. You can also get FRS walkie talkies for $20 now.
  9. Terry & Janelle

Oddometer:
    Thanks James
    Yes, we'll stick with our Sena 20s. We also have short range cheap walkies we use when camping and stuff, but only a few 100 meters range. By the above we wont be needing any other comms.

FYI, We're still 100% committed to the plan we discussed some months ago. Maybe start talking seriously around March/April ish? We're expecting to hit LA end of first week in August.

Talk soon
  10. TUCKERS

TUCKERS the famous james

Oddometer:
    I'm still doing it. I have three Aussie's bikes here right now and two Kiwi's!
  11. Terry & Janelle

Oddometer:
    Good to hear.
    We're hoping $10K USD will put us in the ballpark for 2 x reasonably low mileage DL650's. Hard panniers and top boxes are needed either already fitted or easy to get. Extra lighting and crash bars wouldn't hurt either.
    Is this close or are we dreaming?

Your thoughts?
  12. Motorius

Oddometer:
    You might need to add another $1500-$2k to that number. Unless you have someone willing to keep scouring Craigslist in the area you land, and give them the money to start shopping deals now (winter). Wait until summer and deals disappear.
  13. TUCKERS

TUCKERS the famous james

Oddometer:
    Depends on what amount of 'patina' you are willing to buy and how many miles. Southern California bikes are apt to be super clean and I wouldn't buy anything that wasn't. You may have to go in to the 'higher mileage' range of buys if you want luggage too at that price. Great choice of bike. Don't forget sales tax and registration fees and any fees you incur with me. I suggest people include 10% to 20% in the budget to cover all fees/tax except insurance. Skinny at 10%....safe at 20%.
  14. Terry & Janelle

Oddometer:

I suppose when it comes to bikes there's a couple of things that make the choice easier. 1. I'm a (retired) bike/race mechanic so I'd hope that I know how to look after then on the trip. 2. We both own SV650's as our daily ride so are reasonably familiar with the engineering.

That said, other than tyres, oil changes and basic servicing, I really don't want to be working on them on the way around.

I suppose mileage is less of a concern than physical condition. (My 09 SV has over 100,000 kms now and is still running perfectly). We're not too concerned about prettiness but actual damage would be a problem. Although cosmetic dents and stuff should be fine, long as everything is still secure.

So how about to get things moving we park 10k + 15% = $11500 USD and hope the exchange rate plays nice for us. I know it's still too far out now (for August) but we have the $ so if the right bargain falls in your lap, sing out.

And if at your leisure you could give us a breakdown of how the legals (sales tax, rego etc) work and point me in a direction to discuss insurance with someone?

Also I seem to recall your fee of $200 USD per bike, but can you please let us know. PM is fine if you'd prefer.

Thanks James, I'm sure we'll talk again soon.
  15. TUCKERS

TUCKERS the famous james

Oddometer:
    I’ll email the details. PM me your email. PM sent.
  16. Motorius

Oddometer:
    There is a very nice xr650l up for sale here in the classifieds that is worth you taking a look...

17. TUCKERS

TUCKERS the famous james

Oddometer:
    It’s a LOT easier for us both if you stick with one model and of course the Suzuki DL 650 is a great choice. I’ve bought a few, farkled a few, even put a clutch in one and replaced the clutch push rod seal do-dad. I’m quite familiar with them and it is on my ‘recommended’ list of bikes to buy.
  18. Terry & Janelle

Oddometer:
    Cheers for that. But we're not there till August. Too early to be buying this far out. :)
  19. twowings

twowings Comfortably Numb... Supporter

Oddometer:
    Just avoid anything marked on the map as 'Oklahoma' and you'll be fine...Lots of wonderful riding in Missouri, Arkansas, Kansas, Colorado, & New Mexico...have fun!
  20. Peter640

Peter640 Peter 640

Oddometer:
    A most helpful thread!

Nice to chat earlier

Peter